Welcome to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.mod

Postby anchor.1 on 15 Sep 2008 06:54

So avatars started? Great, thanks. I'll go and find one, quickly. 8)
anchor.1
Senior Resident

Postby cobra428 on 15 Sep 2008 21:26

I think that I,m second oldest at 56. Just wish i had more of the energy that i had when i was younger. :) Nice web site Nightwatch, good to have another place to go besides the GSC forums.
cobra428
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 15 Sep 2008 21:40

Sorry cobra428, didn't know you was a senior geezer.
respect now given...

:wav:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 15 Sep 2008 21:53

cobra428 wrote:I think that I,m second oldest at 56. Just wish i had more of the energy that i had when i was younger. :) Nice web site Nightwatch, good to have another place to go besides the GSC forums.

Glad to see you here, too, cobra428. :D
I've started getting guys' emails from the GSC forum, in case I'd need to email them. I hadn't emails other than a few, so I couldn't let many of the guys know about here before. Thanks that all guys ghave informed each other. :thumbright:
Last edited by Nightwatch on 19 Sep 2008 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby fatrap on 16 Sep 2008 00:29

Hey! I see NatVac made it thru the hurricane and has signed up!
Welcome aboard buddy! I hope that you survived the storm OK... I don't know how close it got to you...
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 16 Sep 2008 01:24

I've just seen that NatVac has also joined :D

Welcome NatVac :wav:

I didn't have email addresses of guys from GSC Forum, other than a few who had emailed me recently. Thanks fatrap, he managed to get in touch with you. You'll be very much needed here as well, as it is always so everywhere.

PS: I'm also happy that you've survived the Ike.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby NatVac on 16 Sep 2008 07:42

On topic: Wow, looks like half of the English GSC forum membership is here already! Thank you, Nightwatch, for opening up this forum. I hope it doesn't eat you for lunch.

"... where everybody knows your name..."

I joined to stop the mailbombing. :P We're mostly okay, living in northeast Texas -- close to Tejas Slacker, if I recall correctly.

The coast was hammered (that was one fat storm) along with portions on the east side of Ike's center as it tracked northward. We were supposed to get four to six inches of rain per the Friday forecast, but it veered a bit northeast early on Saturday as if aiming for fatrap and audioave10, so we only saw an inch or so. Portions west of us got a lot more, as well as points north, east, and south.

Wow, it was dumping rain on Kansas* while the center was southeast of Dallas/Fort Worth -- and it was still raining on the Gulf Coast!

I had to argue with my wife on Wednesday, persuading her not to fly to Houston on a business trip Thursday morning. "Don't worry," she said. "I'll be flying back at least seven hours before Ike comes ashore." (Landfall was expected about midnight Friday/Saturday.)

I'm glad she acquiesced. The storm surge (which doesn't include the wave tops!) was already about 10 feet above normal sea level at six p.m. Friday. They stopped flights out of Houston well before landfall. Folks weren't even going into work on Friday down there.

A few portions of Houston will attempt some business-as-usual on Tuesday. Many folks going back to work will be leaving homes that don't have power. What gasoline is available is very expensive.

The storm surge wasn't as great as predicted, but the devastation is pretty bad, and compounded by the large percentage of the residents who didn't listen to the mandatory evacuation order, proving to be just as dumb as the reporters who had to show us the waves coming over the Galveston seawall (17 feet above sea level) and the flying debris. Galveston is now a small version of New Orleans post Katrina.

Edit: My current avatar is a low-quality reduction of a picture of my smart, lovely and patient wife, taken at the beginning of this month, and it is still far easier to look at than most Internet avatars. She's given me permission to use it; she has not given me permission to admit that she is 56 years old. I'm proud of how good she looks for any age, even though she makes me look really old. If you want to know what I look like, consider Doc in the original STALKER. I have more hair -- momentarily -- and I'm thinner. My beard is mostly white.

I post this to say that while Remac still has the record, all of you youngsters should consider this: you only get old when you stop learning. :P As for you, Remac: Considering your sig, I'll bet you're a hoot at church. :)

*Kansas is a state north of the state of Oklahoma, which is north of Texas. Texas itself is considered by some to be a small country. They are wrong, of course -- it is a large country. (Don't be fooled by Mercator map projections of Alaska.) :P
NatVac
Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 16 Sep 2008 12:09

Wow alot of familiar faces in here. :D

Hi all welcome to the forums. :P
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 16 Sep 2008 16:23

Hi to all and hail to the king, 61 and playing first time I've heard of such thing, now i never do this but :notworthy: . I see that there are some senior monolith members here, ad al be fun
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 16 Sep 2008 18:18

Welcome Natvac, it's great to see you here and posting, and what a wonderful post that is. Like all here, I'm happy that you and your family have survived the devastation of hurricane. It was not a good time for Texas. I've been in Texas, visited Dallas and Houston some time ago. beautiful place, wonderful people, and I cannot go without acknowledging (and paying my respects to) the legendary cuisine. :)

It's great that you've chosen to display an avatar, it'll even easier now to find your very useful and equally delightful-to-read posts. While on the subject, hoping that I'm not stepping out of my line too much, I'd like express my surprise in learning that your wife is 56 years old, I would never think she was above her 36 otherwise. After all, Texans are famous with their looks, too. :thumbright:

I'm also glad that you've found this forum is useful and practical, too. Though GSC Forums are currently open, the last time I checked, repeated -and long- closures for maintenance had started to hamper the support of mods and general communication, hence, in a moment of frustration this forum came up. Thanks to the friends from there who have also found the idea practical. It'll be a nice, democratic forum, I don't think it'll eat me at all; in fact, I find that having discussions of fun and quality is always rejuvenating.

Many people have done great work in GSC forums, you at the top of the list, and knowledgebase that has accumulated on the threads are immensely valuable. Even my thread offers -at least for me, and possibly for the posters there- significant information, and when you think of works (threads that have come to the level of significant works now) like the ZRP Thread are really immensely invaluable, and offers -in my opinion- more detailed and more important teaching than GSC ever has done towards to community. Well, my opinion, GSC of course may beg to differ. Therefore, yesterday, I've started copying my mod's thread page by page to a Word document for an essential backup and then I'll turned to PDF file, as it offers to me and the posters, players of this mod very useful information. I may humbly recommend others as well may wish to take some measures to backup their invaluable threads. maybe too much sensitivity on my part, but after noticing that the entirety Clear Sky threads have disappeared, I got worried.

DARK TEMPLAR Another big Welcome to you, too. Great to see many known faces here. :thumbright:

-------
edit: typo
Last edited by Nightwatch on 19 Sep 2008 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 16 Sep 2008 18:58

Thanks NW, it seems that GSC is having server difficulties again :angry5:
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 16 Sep 2008 19:32

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Thanks NW, it seems that GSC is having server difficulties again :angry5:

Unfortunately, it seems so. But, still, fortunately, I've managed to back up 110 pages of our thread there last night. It's a wealth of information, a knowledgebase for all posters and players alike.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 17 Sep 2008 07:16

25 members atm. Not bad but could be better
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby NatVac on 17 Sep 2008 08:25

Great minds think similarly, Nightwatch. I've been backing up the ZRP thread to text files since November 2007 when I noticed that the end-of-month interruptions were fairly consistent. The local files make searching for stuff quite easy, especially considering the formerly poor and currently nonexistent GSC site search support.

P.S. Guys, my point about age is that there's no point to age-ism. It's a shameful custom to stereotype people based on simple categories that make them easier to comprehend -- all the while turning them into a caricature of the reality.

DARK TEMPLAR: Give it time; the forum is brand new. Besides, the quality-to-quantity ratio (AKA signal-to-noise ratio) is quite high at the moment.
NatVac
Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 17 Sep 2008 08:57

Yes it is quite new and indeed, there are alot of wise persons here.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Verton23 on 17 Sep 2008 12:34

Yes I've seen that most of the (maybe I mustn't use the word elite) well known personalities from GSC are also here. I dont know what's going on with GSC, hope they're OK, but this is a nice place to keep talking, thanks Nightwatch.

PS: I wrote it on another post, but say it here again: sytle choices are great, thanks :toothy7:
Verton23
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 17 Sep 2008 15:44

NatVac wrote:Great minds think similarly, Nightwatch. I've been backing up the ZRP thread to text files since November 2007 when I noticed that the end-of-month interruptions were fairly consistent. The local files make searching for stuff quite easy, especially considering the formerly poor and currently nonexistent GSC site search support.

P.S. Guys, my point about age is that there's no point to age-ism. It's a shameful custom to stereotype people based on simple categories that make them easier to comprehend -- all the while turning them into a caricature of the reality.

DARK TEMPLAR: Give it time; the forum is brand new. Besides, the quality-to-quantity ratio (AKA signal-to-noise ratio) is quite high at the moment.

Thanks NatVac for the compliment :) I was going to record/back up your ZRP thread as well right after our thread, in fact it is even more important. It sheds light to many aspects of modding, a kind of reading/teaching material which is very hard to come if one wants to learn something. It would be very nice to add -at least whatever part is allowed- into this forum as well, as an important knowledgebase, maybe as a back up continuation of the thread or at least as a sticky, or in any other format that can possibly be managed. I'm happy that all that work ( I hope all of it) is safe. :)

At least I could save about 110 pages of my modest 130 page thread, which constituted most important parts anyway in respect of problems and the solutions/answers.
As I was mentioning here of the importance of backing up our threads, GCS went down again; still waiting, hope everything survives intact. :)

Many thanks also for the praises and supportive words about the forum; thanks to you DARK TEMPLAR and Verton23 as well, equally, for your same thoughts and wishes. :) I'm happy to see that a lot of people who have become very well-known in gaming and modding community have found this forum suitable enough for them (for yourselves :) ) to visit and post. Thanks :thumbright: It takes away all the stress of the work which was (still relatively is) quite unfamiliar to me.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DC- on 17 Sep 2008 16:50

The forum's really great. Is it possible to add a "Mark all Forums read" button to the forum index page? Right now that button only exists inside each individual forum, but it would be nice to have it for all forums together.
Not that improtant but it's a nice feature which comes in handy sometimes in another forum I visit regularly. :)
Come over here, let's have a little chat...
DC-
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 17 Sep 2008 17:09

DC- wrote:The forum's really great. Is it possible to add a "Mark all Forums read" button to the forum index page? Right now that button only exists inside each individual forum, but it would be nice to have it for all forums together.
Not that improtant but it's a nice feature which comes in handy sometimes in another forum I visit regularly. :)

Thanks DC :D I think adding that button to the main page as well will b epossible shortly. Forum software PhPBB is about to be upgraded, either one of the latest 2.xx versions or the new v3.x version. I could do that, very slowly but I'd manage at the end, but the web service hosting company's server managers told me that they test web software long and in every aspect to ensure full a functionality and security before they update, so I got the hint. It's better to wait for the green light from those who know it better than me. :) I think, it will offer some more nice features.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements & News