[PoC] Friendly Trade

Discussions and Support on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mods

[PoC] Friendly Trade

Postby nandersen on 26 Jan 2009 20:54

Another proof of concept, this time it's all about trade files.

I sorta' felt lied to when the game tutorial messages claimed that helping other characters will improve their attitude towards me so they'll be willing to sell me stuff cheaper... maybe I misunderstood what was meant but the feeling stuck anyway.

The purpose of this PoC is to demonstrate that not only is it possible to construct trade files so that NPCs with "friend" (green) attitude sell at lower prices but also that it's possible to make such adjustments to trader files automatically.

Link to playable prototype: http://zhat.dk/stalker/files/friendly_trade_v1.0.zip

Off course all kinds of other adjustments would be possible, like increasing ammo supplies for traders or allowing more different items, maybe unique ones... I'm open to suggestions.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Re: [PoC] Friendly Trade

Postby EggChen on 26 Jan 2009 21:26

Yep, nice idea nanderson.

I also remember that first time I saw the block of white text when helping Tolik. Tolik may have told the camp I was a nice guy, but Sid never cut me any slack..... bastard.

I'll be sure to look at this if I get back up and running.

Ideas : I like the idea of unforeseen consequences.

If you wipe out the blockpost for Sid, he (and other traders) will have far less to trade afterwards (theory is that he mentions the army making things "difficult" so perhaps the blockade with the outside world is tightened up)
EggChen

Postby nandersen on 26 Jan 2009 21:39

Yup, something like this should be possible, though many would never notice it (do you still buy Sid's old junk at that point of the game?)

As for "friendly" you can't become friends with traders as far as I know, so no discounts from them...
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 26 Jan 2009 21:54

Great idea and work, nandersen.

Also, on Tolik matter, EggChen, that's a very good point, too. Maybe it can be set as such that a specific info portion is released after helping Tolik and -provided that he reaches to the village camp alive- the camp population is set as friendly to the actor.

edit:
EggChen wrote:If you wipe out the blockpost for Sid, he (and other traders) will have far less to trade afterwards (theory is that he mentions the army making things "difficult" so perhaps the blockade with the outside world is tightened up)

It can be done, rather easily; but the question is that how long or until when this "hardship" should be expected to continue?

Player does not stay long in the area afterwards and may not be affected by trade-repercussion, but you're right. There needs to be some repercussions. Maybe something that'll make Marked One sorry that he stole that case. :mozilla_wink:
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby nandersen on 26 Jan 2009 22:24

Thanks Nightwatch.
Yeah about that "feeling sorry" it would be nice to have some more consequence in the game. Even saying the wrong thing to some NPC should matter. Like when you talk to Kruglov and share his point of view you should not be able to say the opposite thing a second later...

Though the app is created to update the trade files something similar could be implemented to update condition lists and generate sections in some other types of .ltx files. Dunno, maybe the "gulag" files or something else... and instead of a call to a function in xr_conditions.script the additional condition could be another infoportion or probability.
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Jan 2009 00:35

Yeah, I feel you're right on your line of thought. :mozilla_smile:
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Mods & Discussions