PDA Markers

Discussions and Support on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mods

PDA Markers

Postby jamie1992 on 31 Jan 2009 19:36

Ok, so im trying to build a way of marking NPCS on pda, had it working once, but then it stopped where the hell can i find where the markers are, like for example, when you take the kill the stalker mission, where is the function and so forth to keep that marker on the NPC updated on PDA map?
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Re: PDA Markers

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Jan 2009 20:45

Your problem might have been caused due a number of reasons, apparently (possibly the last) a modification that you've done has turned out incompatible and the process stopped functioning. The best bet is to the reverse the last modification you did before you hit the problem.

You say you were trying to mark the NPC movements on the map differently, so I'd guess you were working on a script file last, was it the map_spots.mxl? If so, replace it with a unmodified one and check it again.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 31 Jan 2009 21:18

It seems i just need to execute the file in a diffrent way, any ideas how to link things?
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Jan 2009 21:46

jamie1992 wrote:It seems i just need to execute the file in a diffrent way, any ideas how to link things?

But you haven't said anything about what exactly you are trying to do? You said: "so im trying to build a way of marking NPCS on pda" If you explain what you are working to accomplish, and what exactly you are tweaking, people can offer more specific ideas. :mozilla_smile: Maybe it's another sleep-deprived day for me, but I'm afraid I couldn't quite understand the exact matter in question. (because there are both scripts and xml files are involved in this process)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 01 Feb 2009 00:11

jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 01 Feb 2009 02:08

That's great. I see the blues and purples on the pictures, too.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 01 Feb 2009 02:55

I Changed the colours around it now goes like this:

Red = Duty

Light Green = Freedom

Dark Green = Military

Brown = Bandit

Black = Monolith

Baby Blue = Mercenary

White = Mutant

Yellow = Loners and Traders

Dark Yellow = Zombified

Orange = Eco.

:)
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 01 Feb 2009 03:08

So, every faction has its own colour now... That's a great move, congrats :thumbright: So the previous problem was about/during the work of assigning colour codes for individual factions. It's good that it worked out well at the end, for this is brilliant.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 01 Feb 2009 15:35

jamie1992 wrote:Baby Blue = Mercenary

=)) I always knew they were pussies, what about pink?
EggChen

Postby Russo on 06 Feb 2009 04:25

jamie1992 wrote:Ok, so im trying to build a way of marking NPCS on pda, had it working once, but then it stopped where the hell can i find where the markers are, like for example, when you take the kill the stalker mission, where is the function and so forth to keep that marker on the NPC updated on PDA map?

something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGp-8FPago

i posted something like that 5 months ago: http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k-e-r ... mod-2.html

there i explain how i did it for inferno II, though my version is much more complex.

@EggChen, i want to ask u something, pls check your pm.
Russo
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 06 Feb 2009 13:01

Hey Russo, i see, your version is very cool, i see mine and yours are totaly diffrent, mine marks every single one on the map with a dot coloured according to the faction, however it dosent affect minimap so to speak, its optional anyway, but i like the way i got mine to work, as it permanly updates the posistion of NPC's in PDA map, and when they are killed etc, they are removed from the map. :)

In anycase, i will make a test version like yours and see which one i like best.

Cheers

Jamie
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Russo on 06 Feb 2009 21:50

jamie1992 wrote:Hey Russo, i see, your version is very cool, i see mine and yours are totaly diffrent, mine marks every single one on the map with a dot coloured according to the faction, however it dosent affect minimap so to speak, its optional anyway, but i like the way i got mine to work, as it permanly updates the posistion of NPC's in PDA map, and when they are killed etc, they are removed from the map. :)

In anycase, i will make a test version like yours and see which one i like best.

Cheers

Jamie

yes, as i said in the link i posted, once u set the mark, the game itself will update all npcs positions, i also showed how to remove the marks, so my version does it as well, the reason why u dont see others factions its because u are not allowed to see, you only see the members of your factions, otherwise it would be sort of cheating.

what is different from your version is the colours and the fact that u see all of them and mine u dont and there are alot functions linked to that feature, but its not possible to see in that video ;), hence why i said its much more complex than the version i posted.

so yup, its different, yet its similar.
Russo
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 07 Feb 2009 01:38

Hey again russo, ah right i see, hmm, well my version was mainly to Showcase how the AI transistioned around the zone using my Faction Wars mod, but as an optional thing, people can use it in a fully game if they so wish, yep, mine also removes the mark if they die, via the Xr_Motivator script.

Anyway, like i said, ill try your kind out, and i can include both in my faction wars as optional things, of course, i will give you credit for it, as its your code to begin with of course.

And personaly, i myself am really eagerly waiting for 1.2, i have waited for 1.2 for what must be over a year now, if not a tad more, and i played 1.1 to death but stopped due to my own modding adventures so to speak.

I also see, in your videos, Glowsticks, or atleast what resembles them, i myself was gnna make the same thing, takeing an arifact as a base, changing around its model for my own, and getting rid of its Levitate properties and add a dynamic light particle to it, however, i never got fully around to it, due to my huge excessive work on the new levels for my mod.

Anyway, im sat watching your thread on OL.DE closely, and waiting for the release, i belive it will most likely be easily the best mod released for stalker, also, arent you worried that once your mod is released, people are gonna tear it apart and rip parts they want and add it to other things, or is that all accounted for so to speak?

Hope to hear back.

Jamie
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Russo on 10 Feb 2009 09:18

well, the way i see it, i cant say it will be the best mod or this or that mod is the best mod, because its a matter of taste, though we can jugde if this or that mod have certain quality and ppl pick what they like best, the current state of inferno is a sort of exp, its not only a mod, but an exp of almost everything, it wont have everything that you think or everything that ppl want it to have, it will be more or less like the last version, but being extremely huge with unique features, that is why i changed the name to Inferno II, because its not only an update.

Now about being worried, well not at all, this already happened to all previous versions and yet today there still ppl requesting stuffs from inferno for others mods, in all forums i see that, but this new version is different, the things that it features are complex and are conected with others features, just taking one thing or one idea for it wont necessary make this or that mod more interesting, it could help but not that much, because what matter is the whole and not the one part and if u take the whole and merge to other things, it wont work so well, it wont be the same thing and there is a high chance of ctd, there are so many things that you wont be able to merge with any other mod, i mean u can, but it will ctd, unless if its a really small mod(like ltx tweak) and even that is problematic, for instance if u play the new version u wont be able to tweak alot ltx files, also system and actor, if u do it will ctd, also its both ways, those who play inferno II wont be able to put others mods, cuz as i said, this is so big and use so much stuffs tha xray will crash if you put one more thing.

so, some ppl will hate it and others will like it.
Russo
Senior Resident

Postby busetibi on 10 Feb 2009 12:51

nice read Russo =D>
you know, it's always amazed me why people mod mods, I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here.
the way I see it is that if someone has taken months and months to make/create a mod (I'm not a modder but I do realise the amount of work/hours the modding community puts into making mods) who the hell am I to try and change the mod because I want this or that feature, If you want to change or merge a mod with a mod, then make your own and be done with it.
I always lol when I read the mod threads and the player is saying "WTF dude!! your mod sucks and keeps crashing" then they post the Fatal Error log and it's pointed out to them that they've fkd up by merging some small incompatible mod.
so yea, either play the mod the way it was intended by the mod author or dont bother.
/soap box

and I look forward to playing your mod when it's released. :)
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 10 Feb 2009 22:09

Agreed busetibi, I created my own game using other mods and ideas as inspiration or tuiton (the original Inferno being one). I always figured that if I liked a feature and could not work out how it was done with the very changes plainly available to me, I could not have it in my game.

I have suffered the bad merge problem, even with the few small and simple mods I did, and it is insanely frustrating, because all casual readers will see is that your mod caused a crash ](*,)

Look forward to Inferno II, russao please be sure to let us know here when it is released. I know you frequent OL forum the most, but it would be nice if you posted your mod here as well. Keep up the good work, and I'll hopefully be up and running with an SDK in a week or so...
EggChen

Return to Mods & Discussions