I need help

Discussions and Support on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mods

I need help

Postby Kaidonni on 22 Mar 2009 13:16

Okay, I was playing Buddie's mod compilation for 1.0004, and I had the most unusual (and very concerning) experience, and I doubt it's because of the mod itself. There's no error log, not for Stalker. There appears to be a problem with the drivers uploaded to the computer, though. The game froze, but it didn't just freeze. The screen went funny colours, all messed up. Then, after failing to be able to alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete, the game almost went back to Windows. But the resolution was mucked up, and it never quite got back. Instead, I received an error message about the drivers...

The following is what the event viewer says, after the computer auto-rebooted:
The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

I was playing the mod on maximum settings, although there wasn't any major slow-down before this error, so I'm assuming either I managed to knacker the card or drivers somehow, or this was just something that was bound to happen eventually no matter what. Drivers and video cards don't last forever...

I didn't have anti-aliasing maxed out or grass shadows. Just used the default maximum settings, plus maxed-out vision distance.

Please help me... :mozilla_frown:

EDIT: Here are the computer specs if it helps.

Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Version: 6.14.0011.6267 (English)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page file: 3100MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Using XP with Service Pack 3 installed
Kaidonni
Resident

Re: I need help

Postby NatVac on 22 Mar 2009 14:09

You didn't get a crash log because the failure occurred in the driver, causing your computer to reboot, so STALKER never had the chance to shut down cleanly.

You have a video problem. The video card could be overstressed, or a driver had a problem with a parameter passed to it by the application. This can happen with some STALKER mods due to an error in the construction of a configuration file as it references other resources.

Or a different video driver might be better suited to STALKER.

You could try turning down features. I don't think you should run STALKER with any antialiasing, even if it is possible with your video card and driver. Try backing off the "max" settings and see if the problem improves. And I have no clue what you mean by "grass shadows", as I think that doesn't work as of patch 1.0004.

It could very well be a "feature" of the mod, and you would receive better help at GSC in that mod's thread -- or at least perform a public service to warn others about a potential issue. I see that there's a patch available for the mod, although I don't know why the author of the mod didn't post the patch notice in the same thread as the mod's download notice.
NatVac
Resident

Return to Mods & Discussions