Simulators

Discussions and Support on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mods

Simulators

Postby MeanderingBeing on 25 Aug 2011 02:15

Well, I'm not sure if there's much of a simulator community here on STALKERmod, but I figured I'd throw a line out there.
I'm in the middle of buying a copy of Richard Burns Rally, and Flight Simulator X... I have very high expectations of this, so I'll let you all know how they play out. I've been kind of fed up with wannabe sims like Forza, Ace Combat etc... They just don't have the physics engine nor realism necessary for a simmer like myself.

On another note, I would like to point out that the XRay engine has more than the capacity for pretty damn realistic firearms simulation. The problem is 99.9% of modders don't know much about firearms other than internet reading, or call of dookie. I might try to dig up my old realism mod, based off of one of the arsenals and upload it one of these days. I would like to encourage further tweaking if I do release it, but only if we can advance the goal of total ballistic realism :P (I should mention that the mod, at the time was one of the Arsenal mods, which I had gone back and erased all of their FUBAR values and scripting in favor of my work... so the meshes, models, spawns, etc. should be credited to original creators, whereas research (me going to the range and shooting), some sounds, and a massive chunk of weapons editing and scripting (shoddy scripting. I wish I had someone a LOT better at scripting to help me out when I did that) was my own work. But as I said, I might... I should probably copy this bit over to mod page... Anyways, the mod is most likely buried in a box of a couple thousand DVDs used for backups, so no garauntees... However, if someone can direct me to the latest greatest Arsenal mod for SoC, I can start from scratch.

On yet another note, I'd like to ask if anyone has had any experience with Lock On Modern Air Combat... Is it as realistic as advertised? Is it worth the money?
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Re: Simulators

Postby Nightwatch on 25 Aug 2011 22:02

This is good news that you're considering rolling your sleeves and starting (or re-starting) your weapon simulation work. :-bd Quite right there on your analysis of this matter. Though I don't know the latest Arsenal mod, but I'm sure someone should know. Uploading earlier works is great idea, too.

On your other note, yes, it'd be great to know your opinions on your latest sim purchases of Richard Burns Rally, and Flight Simulator X. But, I don't have any experience with Lock On Modern Air Combat, so can't offer any opinion on it, I'm afraid.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby MeanderingBeing on 10 Sep 2011 08:40

Richard Burns Rally is bloody awesome. Flying through the woods or snow or both at 130+ km/h is as dangerous as it would be in real life. You hit a tree, and the car's wrapped around it. You hit a bump the right way, or throw all the weight on two wheels, you're rolling into a tree. It doesn't matter how you put it, but one little mistake has your car a twisted heap of metal. I am downloading a mod called RSRBR as I write, and its supposed to be even MORE realistic (and vanilla game is pretty damn realistic). From what I've heard, after RSRBR is installed, it's realistic to the point of absurdity. I like that :D

I haven't tried FSX yet, so I'll let you know when I do.
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 18 Sep 2011 10:45

Update:

Well I've put a good number of flight hours in with Flight Simulator X... I have to say it was very challenging, as it was much more realistic than the combat flight simulators (old iterations of A-10, Jane's USAF, or Jane's MAC) that I'm used to. However, FSX was designed to simulate civilian aircraft, so modded-in military aircraft seriously fall short. Afterburners are all FUBAR, fly-by-wire controls don't feel right, and all the weapons are just for show! So I suppose I should say that Combat Simulators are definitely more realistic for military aircraft, and FSX is good for civilian.

Personally, I prefer combat simulators. Maybe it's just the fact that I grew up around these things, but a fast as hell Interdiction/Strike craft, or CAS/COIN craft is far more appealing and enjoyable to (virtually) fly than a Cessna, Airbus, or 737...

...And for this reason, I am removing FSX from my computer... FOREVER!!! O.O BUT, it will be replaced by Jane's USAF or Lock On MAC whenever I get my hands on them.

Also... Richard Burns Rally...
I am an addict.
I downloaded RSRBR2011 (realism mod administrated by WRC itself!!!!)
And I am just fucking hooked. BUT, the car pack is 4gigs... So I am sacrificing FSX to the rally gods to make room on my hardrive...
But I am sooooo loving every second of it.

EDIT: Oh, thanks for moving/copying this to the mod section. Now I am in two places at once! *insert evil laugh here*
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 19 Sep 2011 15:18

Some video for anyone who's interested.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLogCZ2cGDM
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 10 Oct 2011 00:26

If you can do realistic ballistics for all of the weapons in my TK mod, I'd be thrilled! I've somewhat rectified the vanilla, but its still not totally realistic and thats what TK is all about :D
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 01 Nov 2011 09:29

Ket, just email me your weapon.ltx and ammo files, and I'll start there next weekend. I must warn you it takes a lot of time, and most people end up not liking my settings. As for animations and modeling... well I neither have the skills nor time necessary for that, so you'll have to look elsewhere if you hope to improve those. However, I am willing to give suggestions or even record video for the sole purpose of animation reference if necessary.

Also, I will need to ask you a couple questions:
How do you want your shotguns? 00 buck usually only has 3-4 shots in them, but do horrendous damage, while something like #6 to #8 birdshots usually have many smaller pellets, but are practically pointless against big-game and armored targets.
How do you want your grenades? Because if I make them realistic... well... just hope you don't have one thrown at you.
What kind of ammunition would you like to see? For your standard ammunition you can use anything from soft-points, hollow-points, Ball, and FMJs. All of which are exceedingly cheap and exceedingly common. However, I will save AP and Hydrashock ammos for the upgraded ammunition.

And another note, I was wondering if you could write up a simple script that creates penalties for weapons based on the stalker's rank (NPCs included.) Master would obviously have no penalties, but a rookie, for example, could have something like a 10% penalty to recoil, accuracy, misfires, and maintenance to simulate the experience (or lack thereof) of the stalker in general. I think this would do well to balance the difficulty of the game as well, as the Master STALKERs would easily pop anyone with a well aimed burst of fire up to 300 meters, whereas a rookie would probably miss... a lot. So a PLAYER who just started would do well to avoid pissing off Master stalkers, if only for the sake of not catching a three round burst!

On a completely different note along a similar vein:
I've been playing CoP for the first time, and I have to say, the vanilla game seems SO much more polished than CS or SoC. It's also MUCH more stable than either, when I had actually thought it would be the opposite! The whole reason I haven't been playing CoP in the first place was because I thought this POS laptop couldn't handle the newer engine.

That being said, I do have a couple complaints, and they are the same complaints I had with clear sky... The weapons fucking suck. Playing on the hardest difficulty I expect the game to be more of a simulator than a game. I get so sick of emptying 3 buckshots into the head of target, within 10 meters, only to have stumble to the ground and yell for help. Furthermore, the weapons degrade WAY to fast. Testing the un-upgraded weapons, I found that an average of 100 rounds took a good 20% off the durability! WTF?! I can take my handgun to the range and run a torture test of 1000 rounds and not see a single misfire, loss of accuracy, nor any form of parts degradation. I would just have to clean it good afterwards.

Finally, I find some of the critter immunities and damages to be seriously imbalanced. Spent an hour today just running a circle around a burer shooting him point blank with a fully upgraded chaser12 at point blank range, while he did next to no damage to me, and he still wouldn't freaking die... Only for later a tushkano ran up to me and killed me with one hit! I think that since the burers have their bloody shield, their immunities would be relatively low, but nope, that is not the case! And as for tushkanos... well they should only be able to do damage in packs in the first place!

Also, the upgrade system sucks. But don't get me started on that one.

I feel a new RFP coming on. Time to relearn STALKER modding... As I stated above in previous posts, the goal will be to simulate ballistics as much as I can. I do not like how the CoP engine has a "flatness" setting though. In SoC, the physics engine resolved that automatically based on the mass, velocity, and energy of the round as it traveled... It saved a lot of work and definitely worked almost perfectly. Now that the CoP engine has a "setting" for that, I find it really screws with the physics of the bullets. Then again, I see they did that for the sole purpose of catering to their upgrade system... Is there a way I can just remove that or tweak the living shite out of it to make more sense?
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Return to Mods & Discussions