Dead Space

Discussions, News, Questions

Dead Space

Postby Balious on 31 Oct 2008 14:42

Anyone tried this game? looks good and i cant wait to try it.
Balious
Senior Resident

Re: Dead Space

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Oct 2008 14:59

Balious wrote:Anyone tried this game? looks good and i cant wait to try it.

Not yet, but I think I will. It's one of those waiting on the list. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Dead Space

Postby Balious on 31 Oct 2008 16:06

Nightwatch wrote:
Balious wrote:Anyone tried this game? looks good and i cant wait to try it.

Not yet, but I think I will. It's one of those waiting on the list. :)

Same its on my very long want to play list.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 31 Oct 2008 17:25

Nightwatch...another good game for the CONSOLE. You better read up on this one before you decide. Non-movable camera angle and controls are
cumbersome on PC? Not again...
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Oct 2008 18:26

audioave10 wrote:Nightwatch...another good game for the CONSOLE. You better read up on this one before you decide. Non-movable camera angle and controls are
cumbersome on PC? Not again...

Hmm... Thanks, I'll check it thoroughly on the reviews then after it's released then.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 31 Oct 2008 19:06

Yep, the PC review I have read agrees with the console perspective, but does give it a high 80's score.

Basically it says once you get used to the camera, you come to appreciate why it was done, because you need to see your character to see and feel what is happening to him.

As for the controls, they did mention it was not perfect but didn't spoil the fun.

Overall they said a little bit rough in places, but very good and worth a go.

Think Gears of War for the viewpoint, and I did enjoy that, though that was a definite conversion not a port.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 02 Nov 2008 03:57

Sounds like we will have to keep an eye on this one...it just might be good on PC.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 02 Nov 2008 09:28

I played it for Xbox 360, and I have to say, there are some scares in this one. The harder the difficulty you play, the smarter the Ai gets, and the less linear the scares get. But its also (significantly) harder. I am officially addicted to Dead Space and Fallout 3 at the time...
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 09 Nov 2008 08:53

GAGGHGGHGHGHGHGH! I'm stuck on the last boss! SO HARD TO DO WHEN YOU ONLY HAVE THE STARTING GUN! (I played through and only used the starting gun, what is it the plasma cutter or something like that? Anyways, I'm L337 like that. Plus it was the only gun I liked...)
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Nov 2008 20:52

I've had a quick go on the PC version, it looks good, and my mate can only manage low settings, must look good on full.

The viewpoint is weird, and would take some getting used to, the movement is clumsy and even with the mouse on full sensitivity I struggled to get it to move fast enough.

The interface is simply superb visually, if not functionally. It feels very much like a port, as you use keys to navigate the interface rather than the mouse. It does feel like Resident Evil in space, I was struggling for ammo, and solving minor puzzles, you know get that key, fix that tram, etc, etc.

Playing the game I really like the way you have no hud whatsoever. The weapon I have has a holographic ammo counter, that only shows when you aim. Your health is displayed with a light on your suit, and by the sound and speed of your breathing. On that note, the sound is good, typically Doom 3 or underground labs in Stalker.... random ambient noises that freak you out.

The one kind of enemy I have encountered already changed the way I play the game, and is quite freaky. The "footstomp" move is simply brutal, if hard to aim!!

Not sure about full price, and I want to check on the DRM as it is EA, but I am tempted to buy it, will probably wait till its under £20 though. Still got Fallout 3 to play, which will last a while as I know from playing Oblivion I'll go exploring rather than rushing through the story.
EggChen

Postby MeanderingBeing on 12 Nov 2008 01:01

I've been playing on 360 so I don't really know how it is on PC. One thing I find graphics wise though, is that if you have a powerful enough machine, any 360 game looks ALOT better on PC.
And as the enemies go, for the first couple chapters, you don't really get to see any new enemies, but after that, they start showing off some new mutations that almost make you brown yourself. And later in the game, you start to see more powerful versions of some of the old enemies, so its constantly mixing it up!

Also, the harder the difficulty you play, the more different the game is from the last. Though the game does rely on alot of scipted events, they chang each playthrough and each difficulty, so the game always seems fresh.

Oh and heres a hint, if you see an enemy jumping through a vent, its not scipted and you can shoot em. Those guys who hid in the vents like to jump out when your in some deep shit, so get em before you can't. They developed th AI to make its own scares, so certain things will be changing constantly.
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 12 Nov 2008 01:08

It seems good, bit rough control wise, but I am sure it could be lived with, or even just use a joypad. Its not meant to be a first person shooter, and probably fits the Resident Evil mould of using a pad anyway.

I'm going to take my gamepad round to my mate's house and see if it is any better.

POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER - I got a bit of a surprise when I went for a headshot!!
EggChen

Postby ket on 12 Nov 2008 02:30

Dead Space is very different, aliens won't always die from headshots, which IMO is very cool, eliminates the "camper" aspect as if you shoot an alien.. whops! given away your position an it charges you! Theres lots of good games I would like to get, but funds simply don't allow for it atm :(
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 12 Nov 2008 03:10

Sounds like a good game. I'd like to get it later, say like next month, but I 'd like to get and play FC2 and Fallout3 first. Though, while reading your views on the versions, I couldn't make my up yet if I should get the Xbox360 or PC version. I'm not quite a console leaning guy, but if it is decidedly better on console, I may go to that. PC games get cheaper as well, a very good point to consider. And looking at your screen closely will make the immersion even better, another advantage point for PC so far. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 12 Nov 2008 08:29

Ah but nightwatch. Some people sit close to their screens for other consoles too. And no i am not one of them.

Lets look at what is better.

For pc you could have the best graphics meaning its better then the 360 graphics wise or you could have crap ones that can just run deadspace (sounds like me).

For xbox 360 you may say the controls may be easier then the pc ones. Thats only what i think for most fps's that are on console and pc. But STALKER is only good on pc for me :) even though its only on pc.

Big tip that every single person should do during horror games (everyone again should know this) Play the game in dark for best experience :thumbleft: unless you have a reason to play in the light..
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 12 Nov 2008 09:27

EggChen wrote:POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER - I got a bit of a surprise when I went for a headshot!!

LOL! Yeah, headshots aren't exactly the greatest idea.

SPOILER: There are certain enemies that headshots make em, er, more deadly. They'll transform into something that'll kill you even faster. So my general advice is to avoid headshots by all means possible. If you see those fat pregnant looking guys, DEFINITELY DO NOT SHOOT THE HEAD OR STOMACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and here's a quote from one of the game designers "I never thought I would make a game where you drop kick a babie..."

I finally beat the boss, and I'm playing again on the hardest difficulty, and I've got to say, there have been a couple of moments where my spine almost jumped out of me and ran to the hills. And I've been randomly shooting enemies in the head to see what happens, hence how I found out how about those pregnant guys.

Enjoy this game guys! This gets a 9.5 from me!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 12 Nov 2008 11:28

It's just the curiosity, isn't it? Now I feel that as soon as I get the game I'll start shooting those guys on the places that you advice against. :D
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 12 Nov 2008 15:20

Dead Space is way better on PC IMO. You don't get lag, its more immersive, PC controls allow for easier moving\aiming\upgrading, etc. The only downfalls are the "stuck" camera positions in certain places, and I find that zero gravity stuff really weird to get used to, cool, but weird. compared to Fallout 3 I would say Dead Space is a better game, assuming you want to see a story unwrap hollywood style by watching the TVs in-game and you like a good survival horror romp.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 12 Nov 2008 16:47

Tha nk you guys, Balious and Ket :) After reading what you say, I think I'll try the PC version. First of all, I can't play FPS on consoles, 3rd person, OK maybe, but 1st person, no, I can't deal with the cumbersome double-jog-shuttle play. Mouse is easier for for. :) And I've got quite particular with my arrangement of keys. On keyboard you can set them as you like, yes good point.

Well, on getting close to TV when playing console games: I play it like a couch potato :) me sitting right in the couch and the TV over there, say, about, what, 3 meters/~yards away. It's the way how console games are played in our household, sitting slouched as if lying, no matter it's resident evil or racing. This summer I played a bit Forza 2, like that again.
But I find PC screens offer more immersive gameplay.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Next

Return to All PC Games