Old/Classic Games

Discussions, News, Questions

Old/Classic Games

Postby Balious on 25 Nov 2008 17:16

Before this all begins i like to put in this can be on anything. From PC to Amiga to Gameboy (yes tetris is a very old classic game as much as it hates me) to megadrive to snes to ps1 to maybe ps2 and whatever other consoles have very good old and classic games on.

Now saying i played lots of them would most likely be a lie as there are too many to play.

I guess i can list a few of the old games that i really enjoyed
Monkey island (1 + 2 are the best. 3 + 4 were not made by the same guy and didn't have the same effect so i stick with them. Also completed the first two)

Beneath A Steel Sky (completed and this game is just weird)

Simon the Sorcerer (1+2 completed the 3d one wasnt quite the same and didn't like)

Sam & Max hit the road (completed)

Crusader no regret and no remorse

Theme Hospital & Theme Park (i thought they both go in the same spot)

It Came From The Desert (how on earth is this game possible to complete? And yes i know theres two of them)

Jagged Alliance 1 + 2

Fallout 2

I could be here all day but those lot of some of the old games that are very good and i would play again any day.

Now i believe i done enough typing for one post today so you can use this thread to discuss about any old/classic game and also use it for people to help others trying to find an old game they played and can no longer remenber it's name etc. I for one have thousands of games that i want to play again but can't remenber their names on almost every computer.
Balious
Senior Resident

Re: Old/Classic Games

Postby NatVac on 30 Nov 2008 11:44

I liked BASS (Beneath a Steel Sky)! And yes, it was weird. What's cool is that you can still play it, and for free with SCUMM.

I also liked Arkanoids (Pong with powerups) and Lemmings ("Let's go!") on the Amiga. I think that these are multiplatform classics. There was also Marble Madness, one well-named game. I date my insanity from the time I first played that game. Now you can play it on your iPhone.

I also loved Spelunker on the Atari, despite the fact it was written by a couple of friends of mine.

I recall enjoying one of the early Monkey Island games, but I haven't had the time to revisit MI4: Escape from Monkey Island in order to finish it.

Mainframe classics: One of the first graphics-based classics I remember playing was Lunar Lander, a vector-drawn game, on the glass teletype terminal of a CDC Cyber 72 mainframe. Another widespread classic is Asteroids. Before that was the original Adventure text-based puzzle game, although it would be years before I got a CP/M-based home computer to finish that game.

There are a few other classics that may or may not have been on PCs or other game computers one could have at home, but I fondly remember them from the arcades (the quarter-eaters). Some did make it to the PC, but may have suffered without the rollerball or knob that made the arcade game unique.

Missile Command
Tempest
Defender
Centipede
NatVac
Resident

Postby Balious on 30 Nov 2008 22:46

Nice to see some people enjoying to play old games.

I did have SCUMM on my computer previously but have yet to reinstall it along with all the other adventure point & click type games. I believe i enjoy these the most.

BASS I never thought i be able to complete but I finally did it in the end :D. And boy did i not expect to find what happened at the end (don't wanna spoil it for some people that may wanna play it and don't want to be spoiled)

For those that completed monkey island 2. Did you enjoy that ending? I was thinking what the hell was going on.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 01 Dec 2008 12:54

X-Com Enemy Unknown, X-Com Terror From The Deep, X-Com Apocalypse.

The 3 best games ever made, period, if you havent played and completed them, you are not a true gamer, all are old games but so easily the best F-ing games in the world.

Serious, if you ever get the chance, get them and play them and give them a chance, you will get, angry, happy, sad, overjoyed, on the point of climax.....ok cut the last one but these games invoke so much on the player and involve him or her so much its just mind boggling.

Base management, supply managment, Solider and equipment management, Aircraft Management, Research and Design and Manufacturing, then you get the missions, like Terror Missions, Alien Base missions, Crashed ufo's (You shoot them down using your aircraft which you can buy and build and management and choose what they are fitted with etc), landed ufos, of which all have diffrent sizes and missions and if you play right you can get the decoder radar which tells you everything about the ship it detects, including, what race of alien is in it, size of the ship, type of ship, the mission that the ship is on, etc etc etc.

And thats just Enemy Unknown, TFTD, is all like aqua based but there are port missions, new guns and suits and devices to make and learn, and so much more as for Apocalypse, its a huge city but so much you can do it in serious, just check them out if you can.
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 01 Dec 2008 13:06

I've been gaming since the days of the Amstrad 64.... which is a long time.

However, I have never played any of the X-com games, so I guess I cannot be a true gamer :-J
EggChen

Postby jamie1992 on 01 Dec 2008 13:10

*Points a Crucifix at Eggchen*
THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

Hehe, i kid i kid, seriously, take a look at the games, just give them a go, you wont be dissapointed, if you are dissapointed, then i shall have to... *As Achmed the dead terrorist off Jeff Dunhams movie* KILL YOU! :P
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 01 Dec 2008 23:42

I am confused about this. You mention these good games yet not me or anyone i know have heard of them :mozilla_surprised:

To be a true gamer alien breed and monkey island are the best classics :) no declining jamie.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 02 Dec 2008 16:40

Oh I have heard of them, I just have absolutely no interest in playing them.... same goes for World of Warcraft.... some games just don't float my boat, point and click adventures being another kind.

Generally, a big gun in front of my face in a first person style is the kind of game I like!! Thats why I got a PC, no console does shooters properly, but they often do driving games and third person games much better.

Anyway, back on topic, Doom!!! I know it was not the first FPS, but it was the first I ever played, and that sold the genre to me. Immersion is king. When you can see an interface, and you are viewing from above, or you can see your character in third person, the game loses that immersion. I had it on PC, and then brought it when I got a Playstation years later.

Doom and the original Ridge Racer on Playstation 1 both had that. Doom gave me my first real in game scare, and Ridge Racer made my heart beat that bit faster as a kid.... I still remember beating the Devil Car, spending an entire lap driving with one eye on the road and one eye on my rear view mirror. For those that don't know, the Devil Car was so fast you could never win. However he let you pass him on the first lap and you could only win by blocking his overtaking moves for the rest of the race.... Once I had that car, I managed to win the Angel car as well.
EggChen

Postby Balious on 02 Dec 2008 20:06

Ah yes doom how could i forget about that. Shame on me.

By the way eggchen if you have doom 1 or 2 or both on the PC you could play it online with lots of other people (including me). It's the only way i get to play doom again as I can't sit there playing the game by myself without any 'backup'.

Also eggchen i understand about not wanting to play some games. Like how sport games don't interest me but one or two of them i do have to play.

Infact maybe someone could get some links of the very best old classic games and I or a mod can update the first post with them so people that suddenly get the urge to play classic/old games can try and see if they can get it to work. As some games will work on XP and maybe vista with some programs (say the point & click games with scumm as natvac mentioned)
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 02 Dec 2008 20:13

Well this was many years ago!!

I seem to remember we had "Ultimate Doom" on the PC, which if I remember rightly was a version with an extra chapter of fan-made maps.... correct me if I am wrong...

Doubt I could find that disc these days!!

Edit: We only had one PC in the house, and no internet, but when me and my little brother got a Playstation each, first thing we brought was two copies of Doom and a link cable.... first co-op game I ever played outside of an arcade. We used to play Wipeout link up as well.

Talking of which, Gauntlet :-bd
EggChen

Postby Grump642 on 03 Jan 2009 19:09

I loved the old Doom games. Plus Ultima. The first ones. Text scrolled on the bottom of the screen. Awsome games.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 03 Jan 2009 22:07

My game addiction started with Serious Sam.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby busetibi on 04 Jan 2009 04:22

Grump642 wrote:I loved the old Doom games. Plus Ultima. The first ones. Text scrolled on the bottom of the screen. Awsome games.

yup, I picked up a collectors edition a couple of years ago, it has The Ultimate Doom,DoomII, and Final Doom, ran them with jDoom and it looked and played great.

http://archive.doomsdayhq.com/jdoom.php
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 04 Jan 2009 12:24

There are still classic games i wanna play again but as you all know i dont know what they called or I cant find them anywhere.

Ultima is a game i wanted to try but never got the chance to. Same with Myst.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby busetibi on 04 Jan 2009 13:03

Myst????
my god what a game,talk about pulling my hair out at some of the puzzles.
near the end of the game you have this round stone circle thingyyy and it has indentations in it,you have to get these three (I think it's three) marbles into the correct holes and be able to put a top on the whole thing, you have about 60 indentations so you do the math on the odds for it, took me weeks to finally work it out.
from memory Myst took me six months to finish.
I then went outside and took an axe to the disc. #:-s
and vowed to never,ever play that type of game again.
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 06 Jan 2009 06:58

Wow Busetibi...a serious axe to grind? :D
Anyway, I only started playing (and even owning) a PC and PC games in 2001. Started with the DOOM II-CE-Ultimate pack and
also QUAKE II, Serious Sam, Unreal, Red Faction and the first
Medal of Honor. Those got me hooked on first-person for the same
reasons that EggChen stated. I also liked Max Payne and Mafia.
I had Half-Life but found it was more of a puzzle game then a shooter and I wasn't very good a player then. However, the new
Black Mesa project would get me to finally finish Half-Life. I loved
Half-Life 2.

Edit: I forgot....Soldier of Fortune!

Edit: I think HALO for the PC was the next year(2002).
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 06 Jan 2009 14:26

God I loved Red Faction, also the Star Wars first person game (1st one), cannot remember the name now.

You know a new Red Faction is being developed?

Edit: Dark Forces???
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 06 Jan 2009 17:09

YES...Jedi Knight & Jedi Academy!
The new Red Faction coming out has changed to 3rd person viewpoint. Crap! :-o
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 06 Jan 2009 18:10

What? It was 1st when I last saw anything on it.... console-itis strikes again??

Edit: No, I'm on about the first Dark Forces game, I think it was just called that.... "Dark Forces", the sprites were horrible 2d Doom style, but it was a good game. If I remember rightly one of the first with up/down mouse look.
EggChen

Next

Return to All PC Games