FEAR 2: Project Origin

Discussions, News, Questions

Re: FEAR 2: Project Origin

Postby audioave10 on 05 May 2009 05:50

LOL...hey, do you have to have Steam running in the background to play offline? I want to activate it one time and then tell Steam to "shove it". Otherwise...I don't buy it.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 05 May 2009 21:13

Ahem, you don't need STEAM at all with the version I have..... :-?
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 05 May 2009 22:02

Thanks for your advice EggChen, my version does not need Steam either :mozilla_smile: But I started the game some time ago, since then I'm still supposed to pick it up back. But, it had been going very nicely. I start later again.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 05 May 2009 22:20

No probs buddy, when you pick it back up I'll e-mail the link you need for the patch that is compatible with "our version"... Dave, drop me a line if you want :mozilla_wink:
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 06 May 2009 10:50

Thanks EggChen, I'll do that when I re-start. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 06 May 2009 16:10

=)) =))
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 19 May 2009 16:47

Well I have finished this, spent about an hour a night on it for a couple of weeks, taking my time.

It is average in almost every way. I had some fun, and some scares, but when I think back to the original FEAR it was better in almost every department.

Horror - FEAR 1 wins. In this you know when something is going to happen, you have quiet periods with no enemies, and the screen effects announce the horror before it arrives. Its still scary at times, but not as well done as FEAR.

AI - FEAR 1 wins. These guys just don't seem as smart, more often just running into your line of fire. In FEAR 1 I remember being flanked many times.

Sound - FEAR 1 wins. Not sure why, it just seemed to fit better, the horror sounds were really like fingernails down a blackboard in the original.

Story - FEAR 1 wins of course, sequels are usually far worse in story! I won't spoil it for those interested in playing this.

Guns - FEAR 1 wins. The weapons felt meatier, and the new version of the stake gun in FEAR 2 just let the whole game down. When I got it I was well chuffed, until I realised the guy has to be standing within one foot of a wall to pin him to it. I remember pinning guys to the celing in FEAR, or shooting them back 6 feet into a door.

Gunplay - FEAR 1 wins. I'm not sure what these guys are wearing on their heads, but in FEAR 2 it takes a number of bullets to the cranium to kill one!

Graphics - The only place this beats the original is of course graphics, but even they seem poor by other game standards, worse than Crysis, Stalker and Bioshock which precede it by over a year!! In some cases its worse graphically than the orginal FEAR, in the gunfight effects and animation of the NPC's.

Good points, runs well, very stable, and fairly easy on a system. Using the mech suit is just carnage, your virtually invincible, but its fun. The assasins are cool as ever.

Bad points, so very consoleified. The UI is terrible, and the setpieces just annoying. Its not hard, but breaks down into quicksave attrition at times. Especially with the snipers.

The best bit, it makes you remember how good FEAR was, I have uninstalled FEAR 2 after 1 playthrough, and just reinstalled FEAR.
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 19 May 2009 17:30

Very good points. I had come to to place where you got inside that robot/mech thing and walk like a castle. Since then I coudn't start the game again, but my feeling up to that point were exactly of the same. Point on point I agree.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 20 May 2009 05:56

Good reports...it just makes me want to play Fear 1 again and I
have all 3. I'll skip this one.

Hey...EggChen has 1000 posts...all of them useful. :thumbright:
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 20 May 2009 20:53