busetibi
Senior Resident

Re: FEAR 2 demo

Postby EggChen on 24 Jan 2009 02:50

:salute:
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 24 Jan 2009 08:19

I think I'll just wait to get the game. I have faith in Monolith.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 24 Jan 2009 11:56

Great demo. Downloaded it in about 40-50 minutes.

The demo leaves you wanting to play the game more :mozilla_surprised:
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Jan 2009 14:43

Great, I have to check it, temptaion is too much... :D Downloading now.

Downloading now, hah? #-o It put me a 41 minutes waiting list, no way I will get a paid subscription just mayb eI can download one or two demo in a year. I'll wait. :mozilla_smile: And will download it eventually. heh he.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 30 Jan 2009 22:36

I read somewhere the full game will use Steam Copy Protection.... another game I won't be getting.

DRM, Steam, Console Ports and random technical hiccups may just end my PC gaming for good.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 01 Feb 2009 02:33

Well crap...I don't know...I don't like it but I already have a Steam account since Valve lied to us about Half Life 2. One good thing about it, I don't have HL2 or Sin Episodes any more but if I install my Steam account than I can play those too. You can still play the games without the disk in the drive. I just don't want Steam screwing with ANY modable game no matter who makes it. I just
make SURE that Steam never gets any of my money.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 01 Feb 2009 03:01

I've downloaded the FEAR 2 demo and also installed it, but haven't started a game yet. You mean that you need to have a STEAM account now in order to play the demo? In fact, will it be necessary (I guess so) to have steam acc to play the full retail game as well?

I've never used steam, and no intention of using it; I just don't like it for several reasons, which includes the ones you point to.

I think it'd be legal enough for me to put it this way that if one legitimately owns a legal copy of the game, then he is entitled to use his software skills to disangage the "enforced STEAM monitoring" of his computer and play his paid game as he deserves; it should be ( and I believe it is) a constitutional right.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby busetibi on 01 Feb 2009 03:18

when I want to play any game that is "Steamed" so to speak, i just hit the
"Play off Line mode" then it uses the files from my pc rather than through a Steam server.
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 01 Feb 2009 03:31

Nightwatch...I think you're right...naturally we can't talk about
pirating games but if you've bought it with your money - what the
hell you do with it should be your own business.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 01 Feb 2009 12:52

Just so you know you don't need steam to play this. Well the demo at least. FEAR 2 could be just like football manager 2009. Which is has multiple installs say you can install through steam or another option such as the normal way where you just enter a cd-key and you can play the game on your comp with hopefully no steam.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 01 Feb 2009 14:44

I don't know about the demo, but I read a post that says the full game will require steam. This guy had seen a retail box, I'll try and find the link.

My issue with Steam is exactly why I have not brought left 4 dead -

- click, update, wait, ignore defrag warning, play game (10 minutes later)

Most steam games can be played offline, but if I wanted to play FEAR 2 online multiplayer I have to go through that everytime. I loved FEAR multiplayer, so I would have tried this.

Edit : http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear2/ ... pid=932145
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 12 Feb 2009 07:56

Fear 2 is out in the US now. It seems to have a grain effect to help
the console versions look better on large TV screens. The PC purists
absolutely hate the look it has. Good game otherwise. Finale vote from me is still a question unanswered. It's crazy that I have to read
hundreds of posts of gamers before I can safely buy a game these
days. Consolitis Mutherfartis!
Not sure about the Steam options...or if there are any for "offline"
mode. ](*,)
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 12 Feb 2009 21:37

I have seen a review that labelled it F.A.I.R.

Nothing new, not as good as the orginal, but ok. It did not mention this "grain" effect, and I can't say I can see it in the screenshots. I understand screen effects to help those poor console kids, but why have it on the PC version????

As for STEAM, I don't know, the artwork for the box has Game For Windows, doesn't that mean it will use GFW LIVE?
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Feb 2009 00:01

EggChen wrote: I understand screen effects to help those poor console kids, but why have it on the PC version????

As for STEAM, I don't know, the artwork for the box has Game For Windows, doesn't that mean it will use GFW LIVE?

I totally agree.
Also, how does this Game for Windows thing work? I'm behind of playing games because of this modding project a bit, so I am behind the gaming news as well. Would I need to stay online to play it for example, or let the GFW club (or whatever it actually is in reality?) to control my PC just to be able to play the game?
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 13 Feb 2009 02:11

Control the pc and they have a good grip on your nads X(
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby EggChen on 13 Feb 2009 03:03

GFWL does not need you to be online to play the game, but if you do go online it is kind of a match making and communication tool. I played Fallout 3 totally offline with it, but in GTA 4 I used it to connect to my brother's games... you just click on a friend and "join game in progress"....

Other than that, sure it is an unnecessary (sp?) pain the ass, but far less hassle than Steam. It does not update itself every time you try and play a game. If its GFWL I'll buy it, Steam, I won't.
EggChen

Postby rockingmtranch on 13 Feb 2009 16:48

I just miss the days of buying a game, installing it, and playing it. Now it takes an hour or more before playing comes about with all the piracy crap. I kind of look at piracy like a compliment. If the game sucked, no one would pirate the damned thing. The more piracy, the more popular the game, period. Ok, off topic rant over 8-|
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Taking out Monolith in Sarcophagus level.

Postby Balious on 13 Feb 2009 17:15

if thats true then why is spore so pirated? It sucks and pirating don't get you multiplay last time I checked so that means you dont get to play against other people's creatures (or have those damned pirates actually found a way pass EA's crappy security on that part?)

Now back on-topic. The fear live thing was last night where 8 people got to play fear 2 in UK before anyone else here (lucky them). And it was a competition to see who gets the furthest in story on a time limit. During that time people can watch them play it and decide on what their hands get touched by (yes they on the xbox 360 version and have to put their hands into some holes to use the controller). Rats = the best in my opinion. You could just see one of them being curious on whats going on and seemed to want to play the game :D . Right now my friends are torturing me with this game as they have it and I don't.

Also its time for a very noobie question from me to those that dont use steam. Why do you not buy if it has steam? I understand the little problems you may have with it automatically updating ruining your game experience but hey that hasn't happened once with me in Left 4 Dead (amazing).
Balious
Senior Resident

Next

Return to All PC Games