Far Cry 2

Discussions, News, Questions

Re: Far Cry 2

Postby EggChen on 28 Dec 2008 19:08

Its not the worst game in the world, just as all Valve games get hyped to death, this is getting some serious negative hype.

It sure is a let down after all its promise, and it sure is far worse than Stalker, Crysis, Fallout 3, and even Clear Sky. But... I had more fun in my short playthrough than I did in the whole of Half Life 2!! You have to play it as a blast, forget the open world, it has not been used to its full, and the economy and way you progress by "unlocking" weapons is pure console shit. With a real economy, better story, and improved AI this could so easily have been game of the year.

It fails mostly because of comparison with its peers.

I knew I would get one game for Christmas, luckily it was not this one, I'll play it for free when my mate admits defeat. He is currently still plugging away at this one!! My advice, if you did get this game, give it a chance and forget your expectations.... it's *cough* average.

If anyone bothers with it, it just may be modded into a superb game, I'll be checking back on that aspect.

PS. The game I did get was GTAIV, and I know that once past the excessive DRM that is a good game. Before installing it, as weird as it sounds, I am looking to crack it just so I can remove all the Rockstar and GFWL crap that goes with it. I'm currently too busy having fun in Fallout 3 though!!
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 06 Jan 2009 07:40

I gave up on remapping keys to the "arrow" keys. It was a bad habit anyway. This game & especially GTA 4 has me learning WASD.
Mouse movement was fine here...I read where the nicer high-speed
mice out there may need adjustments. Mine is pretty basic. Playing
this for short periods (when bored).
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby freekiller on 06 Jan 2009 11:07

FAr Cry 2 is very bad for me,the previews talked about something like ShoC,even a few videos you can close your eyes and think they are talking about ShoC,but no,this game is not what they talked about,nothing is lke the previews,i didn´t finished my legal copy,directly to my young neibourgh.
..i´ll be back,don´t hesitate,this is not a menace,just the way it should be.
freekiller
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 08 Jan 2009 07:22

One thing I would suggest is to not give up on this game too soon.
It has one patch so far and even though it's "far away" from it's
hype, it's not as bad as the first 2 hours would seem. Play for about
an hour at a time until you get a little deeper. Even with it's washed out look, it has some pretty graphics and the gameplay is
basic fun for awhile. This can be a fun $20 game. That's what I paid
for it. It's just not much more than that. Waaaay too much hype
and a few lies came from Ubisoft on this one.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 08 Jan 2009 11:42

I'll be trying it properly at some point, yes the first hour is exceedingly boring, you have to think of it as an extended tutorial.... it does not help that the opening sequence is probably longer than Half Life's tram ride (god that was boring).
EggChen

Postby Balious on 08 Jan 2009 12:08

EggChen wrote:it does not help that the opening sequence is probably longer than Half Life's tram ride (god that was boring).

How right you are that is a very boring bit. I wanted to suicide so much on that part.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 06 Oct 2009 06:42

I've went back to this again and I'm liking it pretty good. It takes 6-8
hours to play into it long enough to get the best weapons. It's fun to
use fire alot and with no UI or crosshair (all ironsights) it's nice.
Worth $20 to me and a long game too. Crank up the settings and it looks very good.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Oct 2009 23:46

When I had a go at it, I was using Pentium D at that time and the game had run quite well. I couldn't further a lot for I had been busy with the mod, then I upgraded to Quad, Video card changed, simply a full new rebuild, and then when I tried to restart the game (a new game) it began crashing every couple of minutes with graphics problems. I checked it on the internet, it was a vast problem across the board, on both ATI and NVIDIA platforms, so the card problem was ruled out. (maybe a Quad CPU? No one was quite sure)

Now it sees the game is running OK on your machine. Is it on your Windows 7 + quad machine? Maybe this combination is proving better. I may try it at the first available time then. Maybe new drivers have also improved things.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 07 Oct 2009 06:48

Its on my E8500/GTX 260(216). Runs perfect on that. I've read where
it runs even better on a quad/DX10 setup which would be Vista or 7.
I haven't tried it there. It should autoupdate as soon as you start it as
there is one major patch.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 07 Oct 2009 18:24

I like Far Cry 2. The only bad thing is the AI. I find it so crap after playing games with very good AI like Fear and STALKER. I just saw no interest in it after that and gave up. May go back to it after completing a few games.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 08 Oct 2009 07:12

I've found the AI to be quite good. I have a theory about game AI...if
you have a fast PC the AI is not bad but if your PC struggles to run the game the AI will not work correctly. I'm not totally sure but I've seen where a slow PC would cause the AI to "not respond" at all and just stand there lifeless. I would like to see tests on this subject.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 08 Oct 2009 13:13

Hmm... You're quite right there, audioave10. We've seen the same behavior of AI in STALKER as well.

Also, thanks for the update on the performance issues ( that I and some others had before) on Far Cry 2. I'll give it another go when I've come it again, as now I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and the same CPU+Card combo as you have. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Previous

Return to All PC Games