Far Cry 2

Discussions, News, Questions

Far Cry 2

Postby Kanyhalos on 27 Sep 2008 00:46

I'm waiting for this as the "game of the year".:)

Official site:
http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/

Trailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5229.html

Release date: 2008 october 23.
DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0004
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226819/OL2 ... 04.7z.html

DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0005
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226610/OL2 ... 05.7z.html
Kanyhalos
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 27 Sep 2008 13:30

I was going to be building a new rig for Clear Sky about now.

I'm now upgrading at the end of October for FarCry2, looks awesome, and yes, game of the year potential.
EggChen

Postby Kanyhalos on 27 Sep 2008 13:58

And Ubisoft will release a patch which will bring lions to the game, and probably another wild creatures, too, they didn't want to include predators to the 1st official, cos may they can ruin the economy if they kill too many antilops and gazelles.
Of course, I'll install this optional add-on btw.:)
DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0004
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226819/OL2 ... 04.7z.html

DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0005
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226610/OL2 ... 05.7z.html
Kanyhalos
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 27 Sep 2008 18:02

I think this is a must-have so far. :thumbleft:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 17 Oct 2008 21:25

On Far Cry 2 DRM/installation requirements and SecuROM working rules.
October 15 dated info:

From Ubisoft managers

QUOTE:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game refunds an activation. This process is called revoke, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

UNQUOTE
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 17 Oct 2008 21:39

Nightwatch wrote:
From Ubisoft managers

QUOTE:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game refunds an activation. This process is called revoke, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

UNQUOTE

That sound quite reasonable :thumbleft:
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 21 Oct 2008 04:24

Since they are allowing a "revoke" to get back an install this will be better
than EA's crap.
ONE more day to go...then it will be time to read all the user reviews.
:tongue:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby potamac77 on 21 Oct 2008 10:28

If it'll work as Ubisoft says, then i'll it's fair. This revoking the install/activation when you uninstall the game is alright, I believe.
I don't like DRM like everybody else, but I agree game companies trying to protect their product. still I don't think it works, people still manage to copy. Best way will be reducing the prices, a lot.

In Britain it's gonna be relased on 24 October(says Amazon.) I'll wait a bit until it is offered on ebay. people start selling after they finish game in a week or two. :)
potamac77

Postby jamie1992 on 21 Oct 2008 20:27

The Piracy prevention hasnt done anything to stop pirates, everything has been cracked including the whole *You cant play till the xx day* and the *You need a vaild serial*.

All thats needed now is a no cd crack so we can play and there we go a hassle free copy of FC2. :D

EA makes me sick with there crappy piracy prevention crap, dosent work AT ALL EVER, just makes it harder for people who buy the game TBH.
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 21 Oct 2008 20:51

jamie1992 wrote:EA makes me sick with there crappy piracy prevention crap, dosent work AT ALL EVER, just makes it harder for people who buy the game TBH.

To me it encourages pirating. I mean look what they did with spore and what happened to it. But we shouldnt really talk about this kind of stuff here.

I had a quick play of the first one and i like it very much. Can't wait for this one to come out.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Oct 2008 21:10

I don't see any problem with talking about the merits/problems with DRM, if we start talking about how to pirate and linking software that is the problem...

As for DRM, I don't mind, but when it installs glorified spyware, or a constant internet connection is required I get a problem. What if the game company goes bust? Who validates your install then?

It seems to me to have a game you can play whenever and however you want, the only way is piracy. Now I don't condone piracy, but when game companies or publishers make it so you get an inferior product if you buy the game, how do they think that will ever tackle piracy? The pirates are getting a better deal...

My issue with Farcry 2 is the adverts, if I pay for something I don't expect to have to suffer adverts. I for one will be waiting to see if there is a way to play without the ads, whether that be by blocking the game with a firewall or installing a mod.
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 21 Oct 2008 21:52

Good points. I'm particularly worried about the spyware that those companies install into our computers. It's a spyware no matter how glorified or simplified name they try to paint on those things. They inform the other side about your computer, about the game and on many occasions what other software on your computer, such as burning DVD software, etc. But... but how do you know for sure... for absolutely sure that some other info is being drained out of your PC, some people are trying to look into your PC through that Copy-Protection-Ware? Or install things through that, that software automatically gets server rights, so they accept connections and instructions from the origination servers. Smells...
That's one if the reasons that I do not play anything from companies who force online activation, such as, STEAM. Never played anything from them. It's my opinion and I don't like the way things handled.

Yes, I agree that prices are way too high, and some one was mentioning before, shops actually earn a lot out of the games.
If companies start the sell their games directly, they can reduce the prices nearly by half.

In this economic situation, forcing people to pay 40-50 pounds or more dollars is disgraceful. By doing so, they themselves force people to copy games, not that I condone the copying; condoning such activity would be illegal under the current laws.
I'm pointing to the facts and the underlying issues.

Also, another valid point as EggChen puts, what if the company goes bust? Even Lehman Brothers went bust a few weeks ago, one of the pillars of capitalism; so who says that a shaky game company will survive forever?

I still have my "Soldier of Fortune" games. I don't play them nowadays, but that's not the point...
I must have the liberty to play them whenever I want to do so. Because I paid for them. I didn't rent them. Their thick heads do not understand this.

And, what was that the advert thing on far Cry 2? I haven't heard of it?
Will we be forced to watch some adverts while playing? Will those send to us by online connection? I never allow any program, including Windows Host Process, server rights. In this case, they wouldn't be able to post ads on my PC. But then, maybe we won't be allowed to play the game unless they are allowed to send some stuff to our computers? Is that it? I wouldn't quite like that one either.

I hear that there is a class action lawsuit in the US against DRM and the judge has accepted that the DRM constitutes a malware. It may be completely forbidden in the US soon, rest of the world? Who knows? Maybe need more court cases; and definitely an intelligent and loud debate, and showing our attitudes by not buying those games. Amazon is full of complaints on this subject. A very good path.

----------------
edit: typo
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 21 Oct 2008 22:17

My understanding from the review is that adverts will be added to billboards in game... now imagine if they track your browsing habits to determine which ads...

Or, your carefully infiltrating a camp, heart in your mouth, listening intently to the guards chatter... you turn the corner to see the smiling face of Mr B Gates, and the text "Vista DX10, the only way to play Farcry2".

Of course you would only get that ad if you still ran XP :scratch:
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 21 Oct 2008 22:35

EggChen wrote:My understanding from the review is that adverts will be added to billboards in game... now imagine if they track your browsing habits to determine which ads...

Or, your carefully infiltrating a camp, heart in your mouth, listening intently to the guards chatter... you turn the corner to see the smiling face of Mr B Gates, and the text "Vista DX10, the only way to play Farcry2".

Of course you would only get that ad if you still ran XP :scratch:

:D :D :thumbleft:

I will be checking what the players would be saying on these ad matetrs once people start playing the game. I don't think I'd like such ads, any ads, and any incoming traffic and stuff into my PC. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 22 Oct 2008 07:35

That would actually be funny to watch. Imagine seeing them online where your v someone else. he was going to snipe you as they randomly do but before they do they see an advert for something they really like and boom you take advantage :D
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Oct 2008 10:47

Balious wrote:That would actually be funny to watch. Imagine seeing them online where your v someone else. he was going to snipe you as they randomly do but before they do they see an advert for something they really like and boom you take advantage :D

:D :thumbleft:

And, trying to add some another light-hearted look into the matter, from me, too: If the companies decide to to use "Mariah Carey"-like performers with eye-pleasing outfits in their ads, I think then the complaints instantly can be cut drastically; and people, instead of playing the game, start waiting for the next ad. :D (Well, or the opposite for the female players, of course). No offense to anyone, just joking. :)
But, c'mon, you know, it always works. I personally would be horrified to see Merly Streep suddenly popping on the screen announced but, tbh, would not be quite enthusiastic to change the TV channel when I see Mariah Carey. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby nandersen on 22 Oct 2008 11:27

As far as I know there is no such thing as a true copy protection. You can make it difficult to copy the software and to use pirated versions but ultimately the pirates will find a way to circumvent the protection. Meanwhile the average lawful users will simply be annoyed by the noisy and slow spin-up or even worse problems that the copy "protection" is doing to their PCs.

Strangely, there are a lot of software companies who don't see the need to infest their products with such malware. Requiring online registration etc. is fine with me but after that there should be no need for an Internet connection, CD/DVD in drive etc. Imagine if you were required to have your Windows CD in the drive (or an Internet connection) for the PC to boot.
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 23 Oct 2008 07:24

I actually have come to hate Copy Protection. My SWAT 4 disc CONSTANTLY says "Please insert the original disc to play the game. This program will not accept copies..." or something to that extent. AND I couldn't install Bioshock for 4 months because I didn't have an internet connection. So many of these games anymore have nothing but problems solely with the Copy Protection.

Here's an interesting fact:
I read an article in PCGaming. The idea was thus.
For every 1000 pirated copies eliminated, 1 additional sale was made. That would mean that if piracy was eliminated, there would mean a total of 0.1% increase in profit. The article was written by Stuart Cambell on pg 42 of issue 6. Check it out.
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby nandersen on 23 Oct 2008 09:14

Probably a bigger increase in sales if they stopped bugging their customers with the "copy protection" malware.

I remember something about a music group that chose to publish their musing on the Internet and let people decide themselves how much they wanted to pay for it. I believe they still made a fortune.
nandersen
Senior Resident

Next

Return to All PC Games