This game has been out for 4 days now. At first, all the console kiddies
gave it a 10 rating. Now, the true PC gamers are rating it 5 to 7.5 on
average. I just hope some of the consolitis can be modded out of this
game. :cussing:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 25 Oct 2008 17:07

Are you playing Far Cry 2?I'd like to know how good actually it is and if there are adverts in the game reaching nuisance levels? :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 26 Oct 2008 14:21

Been playing it since friday, ok game but going from one side of the map to the other gets real tedious and the missions are very linear so to speak, not much diffrent from others its just go here, kill this, blow up that, and find this etc etc etc.

I havent noticed any ad's at all ever but maybe i dont pay much attention, weapons are quite cool and the jamming and misfiring rates are kinda odd but a cool touch nonetheless.

The way he "Fixes" the cars is stupid TBH, just twists a bolt on somepart of the block or radiator etc and the car magicaly fixes itself.

Ok game for a while but not something i would spend weeks and weeks playing, i been playing it on and off for 2 days and just got bored TBH.

Now for Fallout 3,Deadspace,Arma 2, OFP 2 and so forth, i just gotta find the money for them. :scratch:
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 26 Oct 2008 20:28

Jamie - Does Farcry2 have a multiplayer mode?

As for the game itself, I will still get it when I do a PC upgrade (prices too high at moment, damn financial meltdown!!!). It looks far better than Clear Sky, and it should keep my interest long eneough for Fallout3. I also plan to play Bioshock and Crysis after the upgrade. Deadspace looks pretty neat too, Resident Evil in space!!
EggChen

Postby Balious on 26 Oct 2008 21:03

EggChen wrote: Resident Evil in space!!

Just watch the doom movie for that :)

But yeah i cant wait for deadspace either. Looks very cool.

So to the people that played far cry 2. Is it worth getting? is it as good as the first one?
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 26 Oct 2008 22:22

jamie1992 wrote:Been playing it since friday, ok game but going from one side of the map to the other gets real tedious and the missions are very linear so to speak, not much diffrent from others its just go here, kill this, blow up that, and find this etc etc etc.

I havent noticed any ad's at all ever but maybe i dont pay much attention, weapons are quite cool and the jamming and misfiring rates are kinda odd but a cool touch nonetheless.

The way he "Fixes" the cars is stupid TBH, just twists a bolt on somepart of the block or radiator etc and the car magicaly fixes itself.

Ok game for a while but not something i would spend weeks and weeks playing, i been playing it on and off for 2 days and just got bored TBH.

Now for Fallout 3,Deadspace,Arma 2, OFP 2 and so forth, i just gotta find the money for them. :scratch:

Thanks jamie for the detailed and useful info, it really paints the game well and gives a good idea on what's it about. So it's not SoC quality as far as the gameplay goes, longevity goes.
Still, it's one of those games everyone will find themselves compelled to play it at the end, so I'll do it in the next few days hopefully, too. :)

EggChen wrote:As for the game itself, I will still get it when I do a PC upgrade (prices too high at moment, damn financial meltdown!!!). It looks far better than Clear Sky, and it should keep my interest long eneough for Fallout3. I also plan to play Bioshock and Crysis after the upgrade. Deadspace looks pretty neat too, Resident Evil in space!!

As if you've just caught the words from my mind, EggChen. I'm with you word by word. :thumbleft:

Balious wrote:EggChen wrote:
Resident Evil in space!!

Just watch the doom movie for that

But yeah i cant wait for deadspace either. Looks very cool.

Balious

You mean it's more or less Doom movie? But I didn't like that movie much, too bad. still, as a game it could be better.
On Far Cry 2, as I said, it's one of those games that we all see it necessary (almost) to play sooner or later; but it's always best to get it as cheap as possible, even borrowing is a good choice in these economic conditions. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 26 Oct 2008 23:46

Nightwatch most of the time it was just zombies from pretty much resident evil. The movie could of been great but it totally wasn't doom at all. Even how the zombies and all that happened had nothing to do with doom. doom is monsters coming from hell correct? what was the film.. pretty much a virus you inject into people and they turn into monsters..

Anyway enough doom this is far cry 2 :). Seeing as i played the first one sooner or later i play this one. it be after december me thinks for me though.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Oct 2008 00:06

Yeah, my try of far Cry 2 may wait until December, something like that, too. I need to finish the mod's patch first and some other stuff, then there'll be quite few games waiting for me to play. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 27 Oct 2008 04:11

Please guys, remember Far Cry was Crytek...Far Cry 2 is Ubisoft Canada
and this game is NOT a Far Cry game (it could have been named anything). I'll get it when it's cheaper as it is a console game at heart.
I've read over 100 user reviews and the true PC guys have some real
complaints. No leaning left or right. No prone option. Shiny unrealistic
bloom effects. Some areas aren't really "open" as there are big rocks
blocking you to a linear path in those areas. Enemies at roadblocks can
respawn in less than 3 minutes at times.
If your on a mounted gun you can't drive and control it at the same time.
NPC's are much too accurate and you can put 15 shots from the mounted gun in a guys face and he just looks at you.
Lots of complaints about stupid AI...seriously stupid.
This game does look good for what it does and has great Sun-rays but
once you play it you can clearly see the dumb-down effect of it being a
console game. This is still a fun game with weapons, battles and great
sounds. How long before you get bored is the question.
EggChen...when you upgrade if you ever get out of the swamps you will
see that Clear Sky looks FAR more realistic than Far Cry 2.
Far Cry 2 does look good as far as gameplay.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 27 Oct 2008 12:35

Yep the game has multiplayer but i aint used it yet. :(
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby potamac77 on 29 Oct 2008 12:09

EggChen wrote:As for DRM, I don't mind, but when it installs glorified spyware, or a constant internet connection is required I get a problem. What if the game company goes bust? Who validates your install then?

Yes, that's a big worry. No guarantee that we can use our games (with this kind of DRM) as long as we want. :scratch:

Nightwatch wrote:I hear that there is a class action lawsuit in the US against DRM and the judge has accepted that the DRM constitutes a malware. It may be completely forbidden in the US soon, rest of the world? Who knows? Maybe need more court cases; and definitely an intelligent and loud debate, and showing our attitudes by not buying those games. Amazon is full of complaints on this subject. A very good path.

Very good news, hope other cases follow. :)

jamie1992 wrote:Been playing it since friday, ok game but going from one side of the map to the other gets real tedious and the missions are very linear so to speak, not much diffrent from others its just go here, kill this, blow up that, and find this etc etc etc.

So bad, hah? I'm surprised, I was expecting a very fast game, challenging game. :roll:

audioave10 wrote:I've read over 100 user reviews and the true PC guys have some real
complaints. No leaning left or right. No prone option. Shiny unrealistic
bloom effects. Some areas aren't really "open" as there are big rocks
blocking you to a linear path in those areas. Enemies at roadblocks can
respawn in less than 3 minutes at times.
If your on a mounted gun you can't drive and control it at the same time.
NPC's are much too accurate and you can put 15 shots from the mounted gun in a guys face and he just looks at you.
Lots of complaints about stupid AI...seriously stupid.

OK, my expectations are further ruined.

audioave10 wrote:Please guys, remember Far Cry was Crytek...Far Cry 2 is Ubisoft Canada
and this game is NOT a Far Cry game (it could have been named anything). I'll get it when it's cheaper as it is a console game at heart.

Yup, Crytek and Ubisoft difference, I had forgot that. It's not thesame game, i mean no real sequel to Far Cry. Shame.
I'll wait it to get it on the eBay as well, but I hope this DRM will not cause problems on second hand ones ??
potamac77

Postby EggChen on 29 Oct 2008 12:58

I'm a bit surprised by the "dumbing-down" complaints. The review I read made no mention of any of that apart from the respawning guards, from a well respected gaming magazine.

Still, it does not matter much, I won't be buying this while they want me to pay too much for it (£25, in game adverts, limited installs and SecureROM).

Come to think of it if I pirated the game I would pay... (£0, no adverts, unlimited installs and no glorified Spyware infesting my machine).

Way to go, promoting not preventing piracy, you morons :scratch:
EggChen

Postby Balious on 29 Oct 2008 13:29

Just like Spore :angryfire:

Looks like Ubisoft copied EA for the DRM stuff.. Perhaps they didnt read the news of spore being the most pirated game ever. Far Cry 2 may soon to follow :scratch:

Offtopic: isnt there a emoticon of the face placing the hand of his head like someone did something stupid from the oppoisite of what you told them to do? Cause that would of fit perfect from where my scratch was
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 29 Oct 2008 13:37

Balious wrote:Just like Spore :angryfire:

Looks like Ubisoft copied EA for the DRM stuff.. Perhaps they didnt read the news of spore being the most pirated game ever. Far Cry 2 may soon to follow :scratch:

Offtopic: isnt there a emoticon of the face placing the hand of his head like someone did something stupid from the oppoisite of what you told them to do? Cause that would of fit perfect from where my scratch was

Good point.

(off topic: it'd be good emotion/smiley, maybe I'll find a couple of more. hard work. They're needed to be "pak" filed first before put into the site)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 29 Oct 2008 20:58

audioave10 wrote:EggChen...when you upgrade if you ever get out of the swamps you will see that Clear Sky looks FAR more realistic than Far Cry 2.

True, I had the chance to play Farcry 2 round a friends... he can only run it on 800x600 and medium, and it has a distinctly "cartoon" look about it, may be better on full. I do still think the Zone is the best realisation of a "place" in game, the atmosphere is second to none.

A big problem I noticed with Farcry 2, I had the mouse sensitivity on full and in game it was just not fast enough, in menus it was even worse than Stalker... you know the score, pick up and move mouse to get across screen, not good at all....

As for the game, I didn't play much but it did seem a bit console orientated, I guess that perfect game eludes me, maybe Fallout 3.....
EggChen

Postby jamie1992 on 30 Oct 2008 01:44

Sorry to be blunt but.....dont go near this game with a 1000 foot barge pole.

ITs F-ing horrid, its got full blown consolitis disease.

And one of the "Twists" in the story was kinda GHEY.

IF you dont want to know dont read, go straight to bottom lol.

SPOILER,SPOILER,SPOILER,SPOILER,SPOILER,SPOILER,SPOILER

For those who want to know, one of the factions turns aainst you and betray you and kill all your freinds, kinda pointless making all those freinds really.

SPOILER END,SPOILER END,SPOILER END,SPOILER END,SPOILER END

As for the rest of the game, utter rubbish TBH IMO.

Bring Fallout 3 now all my American friend tell me its F-ing awesome.
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 31 Oct 2008 06:16

Lots of complaints about mouse-movement in Far Cry 2 although some
guys got it "almost right". It's because it defaults towards an x-box 360
controller. Also, there is at least one keystroke button that can't be changed. Can't remember what it was but it WAS one I'd want to remap.
This game has "Consolitis-Runamucka".
Good News...even though Fallout 3 is also on the xbox 360, it does very
well on the PC. Maybe a small patch will be needed soon but from all I
have read it's only on about 2% or less of PC's. IMPORTANT!...there is
already a modding community site started and some tweaks are in the
works. No SDK yet, but it might happen in a few months at most.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Oct 2008 14:41

Mouse sensitivity and key remapping problems are worrying for me, becuase I'm a bit particular about the comfort level of mouse sensivity -after all, it's quite important- and I remap almost most of the keys in every PC game. I've delevoped a habit of using same keys for same functions as much as possible. (unless there are some new movements, etc, of course)

(Modding community for Fallout 3? Good news... We can link to them, they can also post here. It'll be easier for us to follow :) as well as more visibility for them -more links and stuff wouldn't hurt here, this site is sitting on 2 terabyte monthly traffic)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Nightwatch on 01 Nov 2008 18:44

far Cry multi-play maps on Ghost Recon site:
http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51036&hl=
if anyone wants in case. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to All PC Games