World in Conflict

Discussions, News, Questions

World in Conflict

Postby MeanderingBeing on 02 Dec 2009 21:51

I am about to give this game a shot, anyone got anything to say about this game? Any known bugs or glitches or awesome little perks I need to be aware of? Is it good, does it suck?
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Re: World in Conflict

Postby MeanderingBeing on 05 Dec 2009 22:27

So I got this game and have been playing it... its pretty fun, alot different from other RTSes. My only complaint about it is the "shove it down your throat" syndrome that many RTSes have had since about 2000... by that I mean that the designers treat the player like they have an IQ of 10 and wouldn't know a right click from a left click, and they feel the need to make the game more cinematic by putting retarded ingame cutscenes at the worst times possible, often causing you to lose strategic and tactical assets.

Seriously though, I wish they would stop making RTSes that way. I can tell when the soviets are making a big push, and that I need to tighten my defenses. There is absolutely no need to have a cutscene on it, with 15 different voice overs screaming at you to complete your objective, even though you CAN'T because your stuck watching a FRIGGIN CUTSCENE! I'm not stupid, and I do not appreciate being treated as such when playing a game... Besides, in my eyes, an RTS is like a more complex version of chess, so I would think that it would appeal to a demographic that leans a little bit more toward the smart side...

But, besides that one complaint, it is a very fun game... you get to level cities, and armoured columns... what more can I ask for?
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 10 Dec 2009 06:40

Hey, just so you guys know...
Since I am sure most of you are into single player, here's some info...
Don't buy this game.
14 missions? MAybe 10 hours of single player gameplay? No skirmish mode? No custom battles?
I have found the single player aspect of this game wanting... I feel jipped!
On the other hand, the online play is kind of cool.
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 10 Dec 2009 08:36

Well I was going to play this game before but never got round to it.

No skirmish mode is a big minus for me as thats what makes most RTS' great.
I am mostly a single-player player but like a few multiplayer games so is online play actually really better then the single-player stuff?
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 10 Dec 2009 11:20

Yeah, online is fun. There is a bit of a steep learning curve, and lack of skirmish mode makes it that much more annoying. There are four classes you can command in on each side. Both have the same classes, but just have different units.
The classes are:
Infantry: These guys I think are bit loaded... with all the units and andvantages infantry has... well... an infantry commander has an easier time getting rid of tanks than an armour commander...
Armour: The least powerful of all the classes, but important all the same. When it gets down to it, armour is best for supporting infantry and consolidating strategic positions.
Air: Air is kind of in the middle for me. A good support commander can make it bloody impossible for an air commander to play at all... but a bad support pllayer means that your helicopters can wreak hell amongst enemy forces.
Support: My best and favourite class, despite the advantages above. You pretty much get deligated to repair, anti-air, and dedicated artillery fire-support roles. I normally set up some repair units and some AA cover, but my focus is arty. I have gotten so good at micro-managing arty over the years of RTS (I blame it on StarCraft's Seige Tanks) that I can ignore repair duty (NEVER ignore AA though) and other players don't mind (for once).

All in all, I like WiC's multi-play alot, despite everything that pisses me off about this game... It focuses on teamplay, and without proper coordination, your team is SCREWED. Again, this makes the learning curve a bit steep, but makes things much more enjoyable in the end.

I have a question though... why write the campaign for retards, yet have such an intricate multi-play?
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Return to All PC Games