METRO 2033

Discussions, News, Questions

METRO 2033

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Feb 2010 18:16

METRO 2033 has started taking pre-orders now. Amazon.co.uk is offering it for £29.73 (cut from £39.99)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/THQ-Metro-2033- ... 656&sr=8-2

Described as from THQ:
=====================================================
Set in the shattered subway of a post apocalyptic Moscow, Metro 2033 is a story of intensive underground survival where the fate of mankind rests in your hands.
In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and the mutant horrors that await outside.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.

No one likes getting stuck on the underground, but imagine never having step foot outside for more than twenty years. Based on the cult novel by Russian writer Dmitry Glukhovsky this is an inventive mix of first person shooter, role-playing game and survival horror.

In a post-apocalyptic future the Earth is a radioactive wasteland, where dangerous mutants and the pyshic "Dark Ones" roam above ground. As you try to unite all the different metro stations comparisons to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are inevitable, with a similarly oppressive atmosphere as gas masks steam up and apparently supernatural monsters seem to rage about you.

Most missions will see you working with other allies, although there are many human factions to deal with and you won't be able to stay on good terms with them all. With a complex narrative, intense action and genuine scares this is set to be one of the most innovative shooters of the year.

Key Features

From Russia with Love: The Moscow underground becomes the last safe haven for humanity in this ground-breaking mix of genres and cinematic storytelling.

Beautiful destruction: Stunning visuals create a unique vision of the future where even the air you breathe is deadly and every shadow hides deadly mutants.

Economy of war: Customise your character and their equipment, with radiation detectors, night vision goggles and an economic system where bullets are the main currency.

Diplomatic manoeuvring: Not all humans will be on your side, so pick your friends carefully and employ stealth tactics if you need to raid an enemy base.

Further reading: Based on the original story by Dmitry Glukhovsky, and adapted with help from the novelist himself, you must uncover the secrets of the Dark Ones.
====================================================
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: METRO 2033

Postby rockingmtranch on 11 Feb 2010 20:12

Sounds interesting. Also sounds very familiar :mozilla_smile: Probably worth a play through.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby ket on 12 Feb 2010 00:17

Wow! THQ ripped off every doomsday style film released in the last 10 years there as well as ripping off FO3 and Stalker. Anyone else want to chip in with their thoughts?
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 12 Feb 2010 02:57

It may be a little ripped from Stalker but they probably didn't even know about FO3 when they started.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 12 Feb 2010 04:17

ket wrote:Wow! THQ ripped off every doomsday style film released in the last 10 years there as well as ripping off FO3 and Stalker. Anyone else want to chip in with their thoughts?

Doesn't it mention this is from a novel? That would make it an original story.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby ket on 12 Feb 2010 13:26

They can say its based on a novel, but just look at what their describing. Even if they didn't know about FO3 at the start, they have clearly ripped ideas. I may pick it up when I find it in the bargain bins at game, but otherwise no real interest from me as it sounds too familiar to other games I've played.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 12 Feb 2010 15:37

ket wrote:They can say its based on a novel, but just look at what their describing. Even if they didn't know about FO3 at the start, they have clearly ripped ideas. I may pick it up when I find it in the bargain bins at game, but otherwise no real interest from me as it sounds too familiar to other games I've played.

I went off and did some research of this novel. True it does sound a lot like STALKER in some ways and a bit of Fallout.

But I have to say from what I know of the game and FO3 its all in the novel about being locked in some place for ages not stepping out and but have to now. So I don't really think its a rip-off.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 12 Feb 2010 16:04

Balious wrote:I went off and did some research of this novel. True it does sound a lot like STALKER in some ways and a bit of Fallout.

But I have to say from what I know of the game and FO3 its all in the novel about being locked in some place for ages not stepping out and but have to now. So I don't really think its a rip-off.

That's happened to me once or twice :ymblushing: .
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby MeanderingBeing on 22 Mar 2010 20:20

I has eets.
Haven't played it yet, but I will after work.
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 23 Mar 2010 06:02

It seems like a very good game from what I've read (I've read alot). I don't like that you "have" to have Steam for it to run. Its very linear. I'll wait for it to be cheaper and I'll have to reactivate my Steam account for it. Its an offline single-player only game but you have to run Steam for it...I hate that!
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 23 Mar 2010 11:13

My version doesn't need steam *cough*

I have to say, this game is bloody impressive. Yes, it is linear; but to be honest, I kinda like that. I'd be pissed if they made an Ender's Game video game and didn't even follow the story, you know? It's funny, there was this one part where I was hiding on the luggage rack on a railcar, and sitting right there in front of my face... is the book Metro 2033 :))

For those of you who will play... I have a couple o' suggestions:
Beware the holes... and even more so what comes out of em.
Beware the bitches (yes, they are called that)... if you see one, just say fuck it and run.
ALL ENEMIES CAN MESS YOU UP ON THEIR OWN. I am not kidding, the basic enemy, tunnel trash, is a very challenging opponent.
Scrounge like you have never scrounged before. Your STALKER instincts will serve you well, here.

On that note, there are quite a few references to STALKER. There's a part where a bunch of bandits are sitting around a fire, and one of them is playing Dirge for the Planet on guitar... Another part was a bit more straight forward. A companion says "STALKERs, crazy bastards come to the surface everyday, scrounging for weapons, supplies, and artifacts."

In my opinion, this game is probably amongst my top 10... which says alot.
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 23 Mar 2010 17:04

You meandering have hyped my interest in this game a lot more :thumbright:

Any idea how long this game can be played for in one playthrough? I think I may do a let's play on this when I finally get my hands on it :-?
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 24 Mar 2010 23:38

I honestly don't know. I've only had the time to play 2-3 hours at a time after work or on break. I've probably spent roughly 8 hours or so on it, and I'm most of the way through. But there are different difficulties, and alternate endings you can gun for.

One thing I like about this game is how forgiving it is when it comes to play style. As I'm sure everyone here knows, I'm pretty dangerous with an automatic weapon, but not so much on semi... You can spray and pray if needs be, just as long as you can scrounge like a mother****er. OR, you can run around with silenced weapons and take people out with single shots each... and only have to scrounge a little bit. As I say with this game: Silencers are recommended, but not necessary. For example, there was this one part where you have the opportunity to ambush a bunch of nazis... Roughly 10 or 12 of em... If you're fast and smart, you can pick em off one by one... I chose a different route... As soon as I knew there were that many, I crawled into a hole and waited.... and waited... and at the last minute, they started breaking out some heavy equipment and were in a nice little group. I jumped out of my hole and went full auto with a full clip in my kalashnikov. The first 8 dropped before I could even finish off the clip, took 2 more down with the rest of the clip, and stabbed the rest with a bayonet. The last fucker screamed, and screamed, and screamed as I pulled the bayonet out of his gut. It was probably my favorite moment in the game... and my saddest was when a very good friend dies :(

But seriously, I like this game alot. Just be careful with the bitches (bourbon's name for the gargoyles... or demons). They are not nice. Same goes for the librarians!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 29 Mar 2010 22:03

Just done the first chapter of the game. Damn just damn. Sometimes I thought I was playing STALKER it feels just right at home for me. Now if only the game wasn't linear it could of replaced STALKER as my fave game.

Also. When on chapter 1 and the guy says I hate this tunnel I knew something was going to go horribly wrong. But never did I think I would want to repeat his words.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 30 Mar 2010 04:37

Think I will skip this one on general principles. Now I prefer ATI, but I also know nVidea makes good cards also. But when I see a game with TWIMTBP on it, and it does not run well on ATI, and then on the games website, under minimum video cards, it lists nothing but nVidea. To me, they are saying screw you ATI guys. We are bought and paid for by nVidea. I'll stick with games that want everyone to play.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 30 Mar 2010 07:00

Yes. They make the drivers specific for a certain card right? Not really fair for sure.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby MeanderingBeing on 30 Mar 2010 16:57

I got ATI, and I have not had any problems... Granted, my computer is so old that I am still running on a DX9 renderer, but it runs at a solid 60fps... as long as I am not fighting the Brothers of Apocalypse... those fuckers kill my framerate.
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 30 Mar 2010 17:07

Grump...because you have a "big" ATI card, I think you could still play it fine. I am concerned about some real dumb AI problems that many are talking about. It's
as if THQ rushed them to finish (again). Enemy soldiers staying with their back to you after you turn on a light or make a noise etc.
Mea...how have you seen the AI so far?
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 30 Mar 2010 22:48

It's not about it playing on my hardware. It's about taking money (bribes) to make sure one companies hardware works far better than the other guys, and calling it "ad" money. I think this hurts the whole industry. Devs should be trying to make the best game possible. IMHO
Grump642
Senior Resident

Next

Return to All PC Games