THQ plans to "crush pre-owned games threat."

Discussions, News, Questions

THQ plans to "crush pre-owned games threat."

Postby Nightwatch on 16 Aug 2010 13:04

It's reported that, after the news of the firm's Q1 earnings arrived, THQ CEO Brian Farrell revealed that, THQ had an online content strategy for each major release in future - with which it planned to deliver "robust downloadable content and premium online play".

This news arrives just a week after Activision announced its intention to devalue second-hand games at retail. (CVG Magazine: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=258926

As CVG Gaming Magazine reports: THQ CEO Brian Farrell added: "We believe this will increase our digital revenue, engage players with our games for a longer period of time and reduce the impact of used games." It's likely some of this DLC and online content will be 'blocked' to users without a code; free to buyers of new games, but requiring further cost for pre-owned purchasers.

Read the news in full in CVG here:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=259308

--------
UBISOFT had already declared that they were in favor of such policies: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=247171
---------------------------------

I cannot comment further at this moment as my anger and disgust towards them (and the likes of those) may cause me to lose the control of my language. I'm sure, many of you will find very good words.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: THQ plans to "crush pre-owned games threat."

Postby rockingmtranch on 16 Aug 2010 14:55

It doesn't really make sense to me. I buy a game and a year later they come out with DLC but I have to pay for it? Just because my game isn't new? It's still content for that game and that game only!
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Balious on 16 Aug 2010 23:41

I cannot comment further at this moment as my anger and disgust towards them (and the likes of those) may cause me to lose the control of my language. I'm sure, many of you will find very good words.

It doesn't really make sense to me. I buy a game and a year later they come out with DLC but I have to pay for it? Just because my game isn't new? It's still content for that game and that game only!

All this. I hate paying for DLC. And having to pay for it just because I have a used copy or such is just a complete load of crap X(
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 12 Oct 2010 03:40

Right.. so lets get this straight. They want to do this to try and make more money and stop sales of pre-owned games?

1. I bought the game in the first place and now you want to stop me from selling it? P*ss off.
2. DLC content is meant to make me want to play the game more? Maybe. If it arrives in a timely manner and fees are minimal (£5 or less)
3. I have a fantastic idea. Instead of coming up with clearly flawed business models how about you just make good games to start with?

If PC games don't return to the times when they were worth playing, all that will happen is people will pirate them more because their not worth the money.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Return to All PC Games