Buggy/Glitchy games are entitled to refund

Discussions, News, Questions

Buggy/Glitchy games are entitled to refund

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Jan 2011 17:39

According to the Trading Standards Institute, owners of buggy or glitchy video games are entitled to a full refund.
As it is reported in the press,Trading Standards Institute Joint Lead Officer Sylvia Rook said: "When consumers buy goods, their rights are always against the retailer. Therefore, if there is a problem with a game, the consumer should be able to return it to the retailer. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that goods should be of satisfactory quality, fit for their purpose and as described. If the game is faulty, then the consumer should be entitled to a refund from the retailer."

In such a case, according to Trading Standards Institute Joint Lead Officer Sylvia Rook, consumers (gamers) must stop using the game in question immediately before returning it, otherwise this refund may not be claimed. She said: "If consumers wish to exert their statutory rights, they should stop using the game immediately, because if they continue to use it, then they might lose the right to reject it and may be entitled only to the damages occurred. They can also request a repair or replacement, but they don't have to accept this if they do not want to."
----------------------------------------

This rights issue has been referred under the UK Law, but it is more than probable that other countries may have similar consumer protection legislation already in place as well. Therefore, it is advisable that all gamers should check their own countries' relevant laws and rules.

Some good news for gamers, finally. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Buggy/Glitchy games are entitled to refund

Postby rockingmtranch on 07 Jan 2011 15:46

For me, my receipt states "Exchange for same item only if opened". If I don't open it, how the heck do I know if it is good or bad? Total lose situation here.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Nightwatch on 08 Jan 2011 01:51

It needs to be check how the consumers rights protection law works in the US; but here in the UK, in order to see and decide that the game is "technically low quality" as being buggy, etc, you are allowed to open the game, install and start playing. Then, if it doesn't fulfill the generally expected running quality (in technical terms) you can return the game and ask for a refund, saying that the game is faulty. Because, it shouldn't crash in every 10 minutes or so, like Far Cry 2 and other games, and too buggy in so many areas like Fallout New Vegas (now new patches have improved the situation).
So many games in the past, that I should've returned, lol.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby 3040Krag on 08 Jan 2011 06:55

Just bought Far Cry 2, $5 USD on a STEAM sale. No crashes, no glitches so I dunno. I haven't experienced a game I couldn't get working "right" in nearly 20 years of PC gaming. :-w
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 15 May 2011 13:59

I doubt the retailer would see things from the same standpoint as Trading Standards. Their argument would simply be "Oh, your PC can't be powerful enough to run the game properly", which is of course BS in most cases but none the less they will stand by that until they die in a attempt to avoid giving a refund on a really shitty buggy game.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 18 May 2011 22:45

I guess they'd certainly do that one to one basis, against the customers. I'd assume consumers should start complaining to the Trading Standards Office in such cases, and accumulation of complaints at a certain point may be seen enough to start the proceedings. But, well, it's a long road, very long one.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 19 May 2011 19:28

Yep. Some of the folk at the TS office should try some of their guidelines out in the real world and see how ineffective they are. I think it would certainly give game developers a kick up the arse though to make less buggy games if this become widespread in the UK.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Return to All PC Games