Getting some new games

Discussions, News, Questions

Getting some new games

Postby nose on 01 Dec 2011 15:03

I've been thinking of buying some new PC games. I want something which immerses the player continously with ease and brings forth strong feelings (a game which does that constantly is just perfect). The feelings can, but doesn't have to be in the form of a rush, it could also be something like a constantly present, scary, dreadful feeling. I prefer grinding, downtime and other boring stuff to be minimized as much as possible; it should often be exciting and surprising. And the quality experience should come from the graphics, sound and gameplay working together, not from story cutscenes and such. It's also good if the game has some complexity, if it's excessively simplistic it quickly gets boring. I'm not interested in games like Minecraft and Spore as they provide no emotional excitement. Only games which came out after the beginning of 2009 are interesting. Except for freeroamers which can go as far back as early 2007, fighters back to SSFII and RTS which can go as far back as the latter half of 2006. Not under 80% on GR or Metacritic (by critiques) for any game, not under 84% for FPS (excluding FPS freeroamers), not under 85% for RTS. If online is a big part of what makes the game worth it, it better still have quite an active online community which will remain active for at the very least another 3 years. If it's single player then I prefer it to have a total of 15 hours of gameplay or more.

So I've been looking at different genres. I would like to know which genres fit what I described in the first paragraph best, in general. RTS try to offer deep, complex gameplay but seem very spammy and boring overall. And you jump back and forth, its just not the same as the singularly focused experience of first/third person. There's quite a lot to chose from, but I think I would take something fast paced, tactical, really good like Company of Heroes 1, DotA, or SCII. So I'm wondering what some other good RTS are and if RTS sounds like a good genre, going by the first paragraph. Maybe I should just try chess instead, but then again that takes long to learn.

Then there's freeroamers. I'm looking mainly at Skyrim, New Vegas, Mass Effect and the 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. I have not played the first two, but it seems to me (wrong?) Bethesda/Obsidian and Bioware appeals mostly to casuals, instead of thrill and challenge? There's mods, but the core game remains the same... Also, many battles seem very "messy" and at times very onesided. Haven't played any of the STALKER games either, but they're said to have challenge and an unique, engrossing and at times scary feel. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, does one actually feel very emotionally lively while playing them? Also, does Clear Sky really suck so bad in comparison to to SoC and CoP? I haven't so much checked Saints Row, GTA and the like but they don't seem to go well with the first paragraph?

I have the impression that SSF4AE beats out BlazBlue and KoF13 (should it come to PC that is) in terms of popularity, repetitiveness, online and overall quality, but what say you? I might as well ask the same regarding SF x Tekken and MvC3. MvC3 has many 'different' characters, but is it just me or does it often devolve into much overly drawn out spam, extreme animation and extreme combos, which would reduce depth?

Racing games, racing sims, flight sims. I know there are several of all of those and I haven't tried any of them, but am I mistaken to think they're actually not very exciting? Actually I would like to ask the same regarding "superhero" games like Prototype. Also there's singe player adventure/shooter/stuff like Assassin Creed, Bioshock, FEAR, dunno what to make of them though.

And finally FPS w/ multiplayer, which there is an humongous amount of, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, L4D2, TF2, BF3, MW3. Should I just get MW3 as it's "hot" and very quick way to get in at action, or check out something else? I mean, MW3 seems cool and tactical, you die real quick and often though, and something like that really puts a damper on things (or doesn't it?). Also the special abilities seem kind of generic, e.g. take up laptop and then have a missile land somewhere on the map killing someone. That doesn't matter if the game still manages to stay exciting and varied, but I can't help but ask if it makes things a bit less exciting. Actually I already tried MW1 quite a bit, never bothered to get good so I don't know how it feels to really be playing at your best while you're actually good, or which MW game is best. But I can easily aquire MW1 very, very cheaply.

I named quite a few different games as examples but if I missed some good games or genres then please do mention them!

For gaming in the next few years, especially with Windows 8, will 4GBs of RAM be a probable requirement? More and more seem to have 2GB as minimum, and 3GB computers seem unusual.

Is having a 64bit OS becoming standardized in the near future? Will it be a requirement for gaming and such?
nose

Re: Getting some new games

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 01 Dec 2011 18:25

As for RTS, the C&C series is quite good, with the exception of the very latest instalment(best to avoid like plague) but anything up to RA3 is nice. While not all real time, most of the Civ type games may be a good choice. The original Starcraft is not too shabby. Might as well check the roots and have a look at Dune2 .

As for something along the darker aspects of first person games, One has not personally tried but the Penumbra series and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are said to be quite a " and bricks were shat" games. Also Condemned

Bioshock is quite good. While it amuses for a while to mock about, scale buildings and shank guards, AC quickly got boring for One, still haven't finished the game. Can't say much about Fear, although (and One might mistaken) Area 51(not Blacksite A51) should somewhat similar and that was rather enjoyable, that should be available as freeware atm. Prototype is good for unwinding, you can just go on a mindless killing spree, more or less the same could be said about Painkiller. Borderlands is rather fun, though can get repetitive after a while. Crysis (both of them) is not bad

In regards to racing games, if graphics aren't much of a issue(though might,considering the year reqs, which goes for a few other mentions One has made), Carmageddon can be fun, NFS Porche isn't bad. Don't know much about newer games but if you happen to find a 2-3 game bundle somewhere including GRID and Dirt, might as well buy if it's cheap.

Don't dabble in on-line play, so can say bugger all in that field.

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series ShoC has the best atmosphere out of the 3, CS brought quite a few improvements but was much more linear, faction wars didn't quite work as well as thought and many other nitpicks can surely be found. CoP in terms of gameplay was great but there are only 3 areas, as large as they are, they're somewhat bland and fail to offer much after you've completed whatever tasks you had there and as such renders freeplay quite dull. But as always, you can count on the fantastic modding community to fix everything up and fresh the games up a bit.

Hopefully there was something useful in there.
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Re: Getting some new games

Postby rockingmtranch on 01 Dec 2011 22:59

I'm not much help with games in general nose but welcome to the forum B-)
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Return to All PC Games