Nominations

Subjects on the More Serious Side

Nominations

Postby Balious on 13 Dec 2008 15:46

Seeing as its almost the end of the year and seeing as most places do nominations of the year. Like wrestling do wrestler of the year while other things do actors of the year and maybe even film of the year. Lets have our own one :)

Now we could have lots of nominations or a few. Maybe even do nominations monthly like game of the month.

Ignoring what the world think as i disagree with what they made game of the year.

Lets see what nominations shall we have.. I know i make a list:
Game of the Year
Film of the Year
Mod of the Year (shall we make this just stalker or all games that have mods? Or maybe even spilt ones like Stalker mod of the year and Oblivion mod of the year)
Book of the Year (had to be done :D)
Best Game Ever (this one could be tricky to do as everyone will vote different things and no one knows what the best game they think is)
Best Book Ever (again tricky due to same reason but could be easier)
Best Film Ever (again tricky for the same reason as the other two)

If you can think of any more feel free to post :)

I can't really do game of the year or film of the year as i havent watched or played many new games/films this year apart from left 4 dead, football manager 2009 and eagle eye (can't remenber what films came out this year i watched).

Mod of the Year well for stalker mods anyway I would give this to NEWSA and many thanks to jamie. One reason why i hate jamie is I was playing Oblivion Lost (2.2 i believe) and in the middle of the game jamie tells me about this good mod and i find out that it is NEWSA and it has everything i wanted except for some time limit quests. Knowing that I can't play a game when i know theres something that makes it very good i quit my game and instantly went and got NEWSA. Been in love with it ever since :). Thank you Nightwatch as this award seems to go to you. Although there are lots of good mods nothing can really compare towards this big epic mod.

Can't really do any other awards either as im not sure if i read any books that came out this year as im too busy trying to read all the resident evil books (the video game ones). Maybe we could do a STALKER of the year or something as well.

Feel free to post any new nominations and post what you think should win them.
Balious
Senior Resident

Re: Nominations

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Dec 2008 17:16

Well, Balious it's a very good idea to nominate games, films, mods, book of the year. (Btw, too much praise for NEWSA, :D it makes me blush lol :ymblushing: but I'm very happy that you really like the mod.)

I will think of a list of nominations and post it later in this post :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 16 Dec 2008 23:38

So no one except nightwatch is going to do their nominations? :-s

This can be very hard work to actually to name everyones films/books/games but hey its almost the end of the year why not do this? Infact if the decision is too hard you could just nominate say if you had 10 games for game of the year then you could name them 10 of what you think is best. :)
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby busetibi on 17 Dec 2008 14:35

Game of the Year
Film of the Year
Mod of the Year (shall we make this just stalker or all games that have mods? Or maybe even spilt ones like Stalker mod of the year and Oblivion mod of the year)
Book of the Year (had to be done )
Best Game Ever (this one could be tricky to do as everyone will vote different things and no one knows what the best game they think is)
Best Book Ever (again tricky due to same reason but could be easier)
Best Film Ever (again tricky for the same reason as the other two)

dunno what games have been released this year, so that's a "pass" from me.
dunno, Die hard 4?
even split between NEWSA and Run&Gun Special Edition8
dunno.
Quake 3 Arena.
3 way split between
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn,
Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown,
and Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa.
another split.
The Deer Hunter
and
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Best Album Ever.
Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 23 Dec 2008 05:01

OK, a quick list. Let's say, this is a preliminary list, can be amended if I remember stuff that I left out.

Game: don't know for sure, didn't play all the new releases yet. But I guess it could be between FarCry2 and Fallout 3. Just guessing. I'd like to know the opinions very much.

Film: Not a good year for films, I guess. But I can nominate Dark Knight.

Book: This year was particularly bad for books. I can't nominate one. Everywhere is full of celebrity books and cookbooks. :(

Best Game Ever: Deus Ex

Best Book Ever: Quiet Flows the Don By Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov, 1965 Nobel Price. 1612 pages
various translations exits (many significantly cut this one is said to be the most true to the original: ISBN 0569091063, 9780569091060

Best Film Ever (hard decision, but, possibly) : The Leopard
[1963] director: Luchino Visconti
(considered to be one of the best movies of all times) act: Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leopard-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B0002PC2W2 (UK)
http://www.amazon.com/Leopard-Criterion-Collection-Luchino-Visconti/dp/B00003CWQL (USA)

---------------
( Balious, why don't you nominate some games and offer them to vote? Forum can handle 10 choices.)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 23 Dec 2008 13:18

Thats a good idea nightwatch I just have to think of a few games first.

Why on earth you have Far Cry 2 in that list I never know but it is your choice. From what i heard from most of the others on these forums it sucks. I have yet to try the game but I will get to try it on the PS3 after christmas day (my bro getting a ps3 along with this game).

I agree dark knight is a very good film i believe it should be film of the year.

Your right there really wasn't many good books this year.

I have no idea what Deus Ex actually is but it seems I should try this game soon.

I have never heard of that book. I personally stick to my other books such as the resident evil series and shannara.

Damn i never heard of this film.

Ok now for what I believe out of these ten should be game of the year. Please tell me if I get one wrong as I can't quite remenber what games came out when. STALKER soc came out last year didn't it? So I can't mention that. So without further ado heres my list!

Game of the year list:
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Left 4 Dead (I personally would go for this)
Grand Theft Auto IV
STALKER Clear Sky (this did come out this year right? :-? )
Fable II (I just have to mention this here because kicking the chickens is very fun)

Afraid I can't think of any other good games that came out this year.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby busetibi on 23 Dec 2008 14:46

Balious wrote: I personally stick to my other books such as shannara.

is that the fantasy novels Terry Brookes series?
at least I think that's what his name is.
have you read
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson
brilliant books :-bd
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 24 Dec 2008 01:00

Its a low budget film and I think it was a straight to DVD release, but I will vote for "OUTPOST". Its very stalker-esc, and IMO a damn good film too as something different was tried for a film :thumbright:
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Dec 2008 01:10

I browsed through the sites on the internet and came up with a list of games most debated this year:
Total twenty games. We can choose 10 best out of them. I'll increase the voting choices in the forum from 10 to 20 now. so we can vote on a list of twenty to find the best game and the other 9.

As this thread is asking for the best examples from a wider field than just games, we should open a new thread in Other PC games section with this voting. As I haven't played much games yet this year, if anyone thinks another game should replace one or the other in this list, just post your game of teh year candidate. I think you Balious, as you brought the idea of choosing best of 2008, you should post the voting thread.

Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty: World at War
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Crysis Warhead
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Left 4 Dead
Mass Effect
Spore
Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War II
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway
Mass Effect
Tomb Raider: Underworld
X3: Terran Conflict
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 24 Dec 2008 01:13

Why is S: CS listed twice? :p
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Dec 2008 01:28

Ooppss :-" edited the above post and corrected it. So now it's 19 games there.

OK, we have now 20 item-voting ability set.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 24 Dec 2008 12:30

Ok i created the new thread in the pc games section named Game of the Year. And thank you nightwatch for allowing me to create the thread :)

And I can't actually think what else came out this year. Otherwise I may of voted for Dead Rising without checking the date :)

Nominations for the Best Games of 2008, discussion for voting list:
http://www.stalkermod.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200
Balious
Senior Resident

Return to Soap-Box