EggChen - AWOL??

Subjects on the More Serious Side

EggChen - AWOL??

Postby EggChen on 09 Jan 2009 17:35

Guys, for those that don't know my PC went pop yesterday... turns it out it was not the power supply as I first thought, or at least not just the power supply. I don't have spare cash to throw at the problem right now, so I'll not be around much for a while. I have a laptop but its old, gets hot quick, and not good for posture to sit on the couch with it all day!!

So the reason for posting, a quick heads up for a few of you....

Nightwatch - I'll check in occasionally to do my job ;) Do me a favour for when this little problem is resolved, have NEWSA ready for me, still never played it....

ket - I don't have anything remotely capable of running Stalker, so cannot do the all.spawn I'm afraid. What I can do (when I manage to recover some files) is send you my all.spawn which when compared with yours will show you which smart_terrains can acccept multiple communities without buggering up quests. In terms of mutants, quickest and most surefire way would be to add them to existing spawns, without smart_terrains they will just wander off anyway. Sorry buddy, on that note...

Jamie - If you feel up to a little modding project, feel like tweaking all.spawn for ket?? Give him a shout if you do.

Grump - When I rig the hardrive up to retrieve some files, I'll get you the particle.xr file. It should just drop straight into an existing PE3 install, I just wanted to double check it first for you. I also have the xr_kamp and bind_stalker scripts from the campfire mod, merged into the ZRP versions if you want those. xr_kamp you could probably drop straight in, but bind_stalker included some other merges for my own stuff and the AI pack. So you would probably be best just using bind_stalker as a reference when merging campfire mod into yours.

Catch you all soon!!
EggChen

Re: EggChen - AWOL??

Postby nandersen on 09 Jan 2009 20:43

EggChen you have my deepest sympathy.
I hope that you get your hardware situation resolved soon.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 09 Jan 2009 20:48

Hope ya get ya pc fixed soon man, as for Ket, ill give him a buzz and be nosey. :P
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 10 Jan 2009 08:34

Sorry to hear that your PC problem turned out to be so serious. I hope it'll be up and running soon. Too bad that it had cost you a lot and ending up like that, but this is always a risk with PCs, you never know what can go wrong suddenly. I hope that maybe some of the more expensive components can be found survided at the end, such as CPU and GPU, so that a rebuilt may be less painfull. Just I'm hoping.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 14:49

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

NW - Yep the GFX card and processor survived, stuck them in my Bro's system yesterday to test. When I built him his PC I had the foresight to make it upgradeable, so it accepted my 65nm quadcore and GTX280 quite easily (though we had to temporarily remove a hard drive to get the 280 in!)

Seems the PSU went and took the mainboard with it, got a request in for a warranty return for the mainboard (though I'm guessing they'll know what the cause was!!) If thats the case, I'll have to wait till payday to be ordering a new board (Xmas wiped me out). I have investments and savings, but with the current economy now is not the time to be cashing them in!!

In a way I'm glad the mainboard blew, if the surge had got through to other components it could have been far more costly.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 10 Jan 2009 16:03

Ouch!...Good Luck EggChen.
Corsair normally has a good RMA process (last I heard).
Damn, I keep forgetting you're NOT in the US.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 10 Jan 2009 17:30

Yeah, at least the CPU and GPU survived, I'm very glad that they survived; by trying to find an optimistic picture after the disaster. They are otherwise very expensive stuff, more than the mobo and RAMs. Your RAMs may end up blown out as well. Have you had possibility to check them as well?

(When you are ready to shop, check the scan.co.uk. They have the best prices as far as I can tell and they deliver well. I usually get my stuff from them. They may have mobos with competitive price.)

And, you may want to get a more powerful PSU than the one blew up; it seems the card, the CPU and the rest take some serious power more than expected (if it's not purely due to an electrical surge); it's a warning to us all maybe, so it seems I may need to get a new PSU as well when I upgrade my card later. It's 500W at the moment, so maybe a 750 will be needed for such set ups. I was not looking forward to it :mozilla_smile: , though.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 18:05

Forgot to mention, RAM is fine, all 8Gb's of the stuff!!
I think we could say the motherboard threw itself ontop of the live grenade to save the rest of his squad.

I have a very good surge protector which all my PC equipment is plugged into... I'm not blaming Clear Sky as such, but I reckon power usage went higher than normal, the PSU popped and fried the motherboard.... the 620 PSU should have been able to power everything (according to its specs) but it was a couple of years old I suppose. Yep, I think I am looking at a PSU and Motherboard to get back up and running.

I will checkout scan.co.uk, I always used overclockers but found their service to have deteriorated lately, from personal experience and from a number of forum posts on tech forums.

Thanks again guys.

PS. My sausage fingers do not agree with typing on this thing. May have to set the laptop up at my desk and plug my keyboard in, this may be a couple of weeks. Hmm, in fact my laptop could just sit where the PC is, and I can plug screen, keyboard and mouse in.....
EggChen

Postby Balious on 10 Jan 2009 19:01

Sorry to hear about your PC eggchen but at least the good news is that some of your things survived :mozilla_smile:

And damn you have 8gb RAM. I only have 1gb :mozilla_frown:
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 10 Jan 2009 21:40

EggChen wrote:I think we could say the motherboard threw itself on top of the live grenade to save the rest of his squad.

:)) Well put =D>
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Grump642 on 11 Jan 2009 02:31

The Corsair HX620 is maybe the best PSU in that range. It is what I have. It should have handled your rig. Those 280's tho are power hungry. There is a Corsair PSU rep that hangs out on jonnyGURU forums. Nice guy.Give him a shout, he might be able to "grease some skids" for you.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.p ... 62db79d8ea
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 11 Jan 2009 12:04

Don't worry man, these things happen. Is this your new build system thats gone poof? If it is you can easily RMA any faulty components to the manufacturer, or indeed the place you bought the stuff from if it was somewhere like ebuyer.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Jan 2009 12:59

Yep, its the new build, luckily the most expensive parts are ok....

I can RMA the motherboard, but the PSU was over two years old, now it does have a five year warranty, but I'll have to see how that goes there.

Cheers for the info about the Corsair rep, may just drop him a note.
EggChen

Postby busetibi on 11 Jan 2009 13:56

sorry to read about you're machines problems buddy :(
I hope it doesn't cost you too much to get it fixed.
women>cars>computers
if you have any of the above you'll always be broke :mozilla_yell:
hope you get it fixed before v3 comes out ;)
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Jan 2009 14:19

Thanks buddy, me too!

PS. You forgot "kids".....
EggChen

Postby ket on 11 Jan 2009 14:42

Perhaps I'm a "special case", but the priority chain for me has always been PCs>cars>women :p Women can work just like I can, so therefore by my logic they can sustain themselves :D
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 11 Jan 2009 14:45

ket wrote:Perhaps I'm a "special case", but the priority chain for me has always been PCs>cars>women :p Women can work just like I can, so therefore by my logic they can sustain themselves :D

Wow, you must kill at the dinner table.
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Jan 2009 17:41

I'm with ket on this one, if a woman expects me to pay for everything, it will be the last time we go out, and she'll be going hungry/thirsty for the rest of the night she expected me to pay for her.

Equal rights works both ways....
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 11 Jan 2009 21:44

It's easier for me. PC's/Cars or Trucks/did away with women!
The good thing about being older. This choice can be easy. :ymdevil:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Next

Return to Soap-Box