Little help with my work

Subjects on the More Serious Side

Little help with my work

Postby Balious on 02 Jul 2009 18:26

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought a new topic would do.

Basically I need a tiny little help with part of my work. Here is the current task I am doing:
P5: Describe ways that organisations can manage their risks when using new IT technology

This is the easiest part in my opinion but as google is not clear to me right now and I could only find 3 different types of viruses (trojan, worm and brain). Im sure there are alot more so could anyone help me out here? with some detail of what each is.

Also does anyone know how to make a good introduction on ways that organisations can manage their risks when using new IT technology? I done an introduction but I think its too small for whats required.
Balious
Senior Resident

Re: Little help with my work

Postby rockingmtranch on 04 Jul 2009 00:41

Hmmm...there are some IT professionals at a site I am a moderator of....you could join there and hit them up. http://www.montanamenagerie.org
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Balious on 04 Jul 2009 11:43

Thanks for the link rocking. Just a question if I may ask, where should I actually post in there for help on my work?

Also why does it have so many moderators? Never seen that many before :mozilla_surprised:

Im making checklists for what I need to put in and will soon make the Assignment 2 one (P5 is in that one). I have not quite finished viruses yet (just gotta talk about how its risky) but heres what I got:
Viruses
Viruses are malicious programs used to copy itself onto a computer without the owner of it knowing and infect it. Viruses can spread from one computer to another through a code. They increase the chance of infecting other computers by taking control of the files on the network that are accessed by other computers. The way viruses can damage the computer is it can delete an important file or folder such as the system 32 folder. If that gets deleted then the whole computer will stop working.

There are many different types of viruses such as Trojan, Worm and Brain. I will explain each of these viruses of what they do.

Trojan Horse
Trojan horses are viruses that pretend to help the user by giving a file that help them speed up the computer but will actually infect the computer. These viruses need hackers to help them fulfil their purpose but he does not have to distribute the virus. Hackers find computers on a network checking to see if it has a Trojan horse installed and activate it. Hackers mainly use Trojan horses to access a computer system that the hacker has targeted. When a Trojan horse is installed on a computer system a hacker can access it without going onto the computer. The hacker can only access certain things that the Trojan horse is used for.

Worm
Worms are self-replicating programs that uses the network to send copies of itself to other computers on the network and infect them. Worms are completely different to other viruses as they do not have to attach itself to a program already on the system and cause at least some harm to the network. It does this by consuming bandwidth while viruses most of the time corrupts files on the computer they want to target.

Brain
The brain virus which was written in the 80s is said to be the first virus to be made on MSDOS. This virus infects the boot section of the storage media that is formatted with the DOS file system.

Anti-Virus
The anti-virus is used to protect the computer from viruses. They search for viruses on the computer and removes them.

Virus Risks
There are a lot of risks involved with viruses.

And sorry for all the trouble guys 8-[
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 06 Jul 2009 05:14

Well, first go into Mix and Mingle and introduce yourself. They are people, not computers. The entire forum is to help with computer problems, that is why there are a lot of moderators (so they have forum control). It was just a thought to help you out.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Grump642 on 06 Jul 2009 17:17

The number 1 IT risk is not viruses and such, although those are of course important. It is data safety. A company that loses its data is out of business. Hence, the need for dependable hard drives, enterprise level, with a secure backup system. It usually includes RAID arrays among other types. They also have to worry about their software. Will the vendor be around to fix any related problems, or what about "open source"? They can not afford to use software whose support will not be there when they need it.
Hope this gives you some ideas. Remember, any new tech MUST integrate with existing tech and software or it will likely be too expensive to implement. Plus the support factor.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Return to Soap-Box