What you do for a living

Subjects with Humorous Touch

What you do for a living

Postby rockingmtranch on 20 Jun 2010 01:30

We have a thread with what we look like. We have threads for favorite music, movies, women. I was just curious what we do for the bacon. I'll go first. I'm a part time student getting my Associates in Business gearing toward Accounting. My wife works full time and I gamble on a daily basis. Maybe since I do it daily and have for several months, it could be called professional gambling. I don't know. But I do know that with what I make a week and what we make together on the weekends, we are up $3000 this month alone. Just to give you an idea. And when I graduate from college, my wife is going to quit her job and I will be going to work (if we even need to at that point). B-) So how about every one else?
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Re: What you do for a living

Postby 3040Krag on 20 Jun 2010 04:10

Right now I'm a Quality Assurance Tech at a firm called Raven, EFD (Engineered Films Division, think plastic tarps and pit liners). The most mind-numbing job I've ever done, I cut samples of plastic, then destroy them under controlled conditions to ensure they meet specs.

I'm trained and certified for being a Nuclear Medicine Technologist, which is what I pray I eventually land a job in. Formerly in IT development, I'm totally burned out with IT and programming. B.S. and M.S. in Mining Engineering, but I'll never get a job there, was blackballed early in my career by a power-hungry weasel who wanted me to help him pin a bum rap on a fellow engineer, mentor, professor and overall decent human being. (ETA) When I didn't give the well-connected weasel what he wanted, he proceeded to ruin my career.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 20 Jun 2010 04:36

Wow. And this one individual, after all your schooling, can ruin your career? That's something. Sounds though that you could do quite well anywhere you wanted to be :thumbright:
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby 3040Krag on 20 Jun 2010 15:02

Mining was (is?) a very closed group, very tight. The man involved was well-known in the industry, all he had to do was to find out who I was interviewing (easy given the fact that you signed up on-campus) and drop a dime on a phone call. He even told me early on that things wouldn't go too well if I didn't help smear his target.

The prof he tried to smear was eventually fired from his position, but successfully sued on a wrongful termination case and was awarded punitive damages amounting to enough to retire. A shame that, he was a great teacher.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Jun 2010 14:21

Do your studies end this year Rock? Accounting is tough, but is a very sure subject. Being student must be nice as well, altough I realize that it certainly does not look like that for any student while still in the hot-water, exams, studying, etc, but I remember it had its fun as well. B-)

Your original career speciality sounds as if it dropped from NASA, 3040Krag, but man, you surely had had a very bad time with that SOB who deserves all the curses one can imagine. I think it's rather difficult to get a flourishing job in some professions, particularly when they are "very close knitted," buried under thick plots.

Well, I'm a journalist, at least at the moment; I couldn't still shake it off my shoulders, :mozilla_smile: as it may sound exciting to many, but it's very unsocial-timing job with insecure future for everyone in it. It's true that you end of knowing a lot of people, some famous ones as well ( for all good or bad reasons :D ) pay is not high and yet tempers are always high, lol. :D Still, yes, a bit exciting nevertheless. But I'd like to open a nice cafe, if I could. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 24 Jun 2010 20:20

Nope. Not this year. I have about half my credits (only going half time). And I've never had so much fun as I do when I'm in class :-bd As far as journalism, that seems like one of those professions that doesn't have hours. You're working when need be.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby Nightwatch on 26 Jun 2010 00:07

Being a student rocks. :supz:

Well, I'd exchange journalism for a subject that I like to study. Yeah, it doesn't have hours, it just have the whole day, lol, :D I remember that last year at night time when it was snowing (one of the rare instances in London) I was woken up and asked to attend to a situation, which was very near to my home, so it would be almost impossible for me to say no, you know, otherwise the news would be missed the burden would be on me. So, cursing, but still I went. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 01 Aug 2010 04:10

Ok. So I gave this a few weeks for everyone to maybe chime in. No bacon earners around here? Is my wife the only one?
----------------
rockingmtranch

Return to Bar in the Zone