Dreaded C stack overflow....

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Dreaded C stack overflow....

Postby ket on 14 Sep 2008 12:03

I keep googling and reading all kinds of lua documents but I can't find anything that helps me fix a C stack overflow :( I get it in state_mgr.script, line 150. Anyone have any points that might help?
ket
Senior Resident

Postby fatrap on 14 Sep 2008 12:08

Those can be uber-frustrating.... what event is going on when you get this error? Is it repeatable or just random?
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 14 Sep 2008 12:33

Its kind of repeatable, but sometimes just totally random. Given how X-Ray can "rattle about" in the background anyway I'm not too worried about the random times it happens as they are rare. Its quite common for the stack overflow to occur when too many things have been spawned. For example If I happen to die like 10 times in a row in the same area, due to the scripted-in mutants an stuff, they seem to trigger the overflow.

Lines 149 through 152 in state_mgr read the following;

function eva_state_mgr_end:evaluate()
if self.mgr == nil then
self.mgr = self.object:motivation_action_manager()
end

I'm not sure how the overflow can occur there. Hopefully you do know though fatrap! :D This overflow is basically the only think stopping me from releasing TK1.1 now :(
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Kanyhalos on 26 Sep 2008 17:04

Stack overflow is not related to the logged error itself. You should know what did you change, this is a bad setting somewhere in an other script, not in state_manager. It can be a poorly configured scheme or sth like that. You are the only one who can fix it, I think.
I had something similar while I was developing OL2.2, I had a lot of Stack overflow crashes, related to state_mgr, ph_door, xr_motivator, etc., but all of them were related to my stupid mistakes in blowout_scheme.script and watcher_act.script, few times in actor_need_help.script.
The good thing was that, I had global overview on everything, so I could easilly figure out what could be wrong.
Look deep inside into your scripts folder, the answer is there.
DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0004
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226819/OL2 ... 04.7z.html

DOWNLOAD Oblivion Lost 2.2 for 1.0005
http://rapidshare.de/files/40226610/OL2 ... 05.7z.html
Kanyhalos
Senior Resident

Return to Modding Techniques