Scripting

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Scripting

Postby Balious on 24 Oct 2008 13:09

So i asked thousands of times everywhere i go and once again the question appears again..

How do you script? I know theres lots of different things to script with and all that but i dont get scripting at all.. does anyone know a complete noob walkthrough to scripting? care to share the secrets of your modding knowledge?

Doing this will make me one step closer to becoming a games designer and helping me when i do go to college for that course then hopefully university (6 form atm doing something else) :).

I want to make a mod of two factions at war with each other with a very long war. And to do this i need to know how to make factions. Well i do apart from the spawning/scripting part of it then i would like to make faction wars which you lovely lot can also help me with.

So can anyone try and help me and script? even with my crappy graphics card i still would like to make this mod and let others play it :)
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Oct 2008 13:58

This is a difficult question and even more difficult to answer. :)
It's an immense subject and undoubtedly requires some basic knowledge, for example I've taken FORTRAN and then COBOL (as choice/additional subjects) in the university when I was studying economics, then got XML courses, and I can only consider myself as an amateur while there are people around who actually ear their living by writing codes.

So there is no "become a scripter in 5 lessons" type of answer, as I believe you've already anticipated. However, as long as determination exist -which you seem to have- there are already well-written guides to help any enthusiast to get around of many matters with relative ease, which would of course depend on the person's knowledge level in understanding of scripts at that time.

I will be posting some info as a stick on modding techniques about now, so keep checking it, because the answers would be easier to locate anytime and could offer benefit to other visitors as well.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 24 Oct 2008 14:01

Ok thanks for the answer nightwatch.

If jamie can learn scripting then surely its possible i can understand it.

I do know that scripting is properly the hardest thing to learn but hell almost everything is hard to learn for some people.

I be sure to read that info you will post
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Matt_B on 24 Oct 2008 14:12

i'm equally clueless about code/script, but i wonder if you could use another node-based logic editor like the flowgraphs in cryengine2 to graphically 'write' the lua script (assuming either game uses lua) & then manually tweak the syntax for it to work in xray? probably a long-shot & doubtful it'd work.

i'd say the best way to figure out x-ray scripting is to look at other people's mods & do some parameter tweaking & copy/pasting.
Matt_B

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Oct 2008 14:58

Hey guys, I put some links as a Sticky on this sub-forum. If you have any other tutorials or links please let the moderators get them so it can be added on the sticky as a sort of a simple directory of links to knowledgebase scattered in many places. You can post them on your posts under that (Sticky) thread as well, so they can also be copied to the sticky later.

Godd luck Balious. :)
Matt_B, you're too modest :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Modding Techniques