logic/physics puzzles

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

logic/physics puzzles

Postby Matt_B on 24 Oct 2008 13:24

I've always wanted to make my own logic or physics based puzzles in a fps game. Not sure if x-ray is the right platform for attempting this, but I love how the world-building works & was wondering what the limits/possibilities are for making puzzles that are based on physics interaction (eg. the water-barrel airboat ramp scene in HL2) or simpler scripted logic puzzles, like the following:

1. you're presented with a visual concentration/memory puzzle like a tangle of water pipes & valves or electrical circuitry, & there's a solution in the form of say a 3 digit 1-9 number (the numbers corresponding to which water valves to close, or circuit gaps to bridge)

2. you enter the combination somehow, either typing in a combination lock (like the existing door code) or preferably interacting with some valves or dials

3. with a correct answer, a door could open, or a water plane could rise/lower, & maybe a particle effect stop/start.

So, would this sort of thing be overly complex to implement in x-ray & better to try a node-based logic editor like cryengine2 or unreal3?

Also is there a mod that would like a puzzle-themed level? Maybe Priboi Story or Oblivion Lost could have a scene in the NPP where you do things with fuel-rods, or an underground lab. Or a portal-based puzzle even. Make a change from shooting things :)
Matt_B

Postby Matt_B on 24 Oct 2008 13:43

simplified example of a water puzzle (a proper one would have 9 valves, more digits & more complex pipes):

Matt_B

Postby silverpower on 26 Oct 2008 23:58

Water planes are static, I think, because of the way they're handled (some aspects of X-Ray are *really* outdated; this engine has evolved through a few iterations already).

I believe this can be done through scripting, but it's gonna be a hell of a job; scripting UI interfaces are a *huge* pain in the ass because of the way UI is handled.
KMFDM forward, the ultimate sound/And a message from Satan, if you turn it around
silverpower
Senior Resident

Return to Modding Techniques