Need help with weather from OL

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Need help with weather from OL

Postby nandersen on 28 Oct 2008 17:03

Here's the deal: I stole the weather files from Kanyhalos' mod to make me a "random" weather setup for vanilla. Now the following is giving me a headache:

1) when the sun shines many surfaces like e.g. concrete are so (over)bright that they appear blinding.

2) everything seems a bit purple/violet? Like the terrain and water surfaces (especially at dawn).

I used the following "as is" from OL2.2:
- textures\sky\*.*
- textures\fx\*.*
- config\weathers\environment.ltx
- config\weathers\weather_default.ltx
- config\weathers\weather_default2.ltx
- config\weathers\weather_chernobyl.ltx
- config\weathers\weather_surge.ltx (is it necessary?)

Also, I made a custom level_weathers.script to manage the weather changes at 2:00, 7:00 and 12:00.

Do I need any other files? What's causing the problems?
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 28 Oct 2008 17:14

As far as I know the surge weather is only needed if you include blowouts...

Also, did OL have a user.ltx?? Maybe the colours being off is down to that being missing?

You may want to look at AMK weather configs as well, I did like theirs when I tried it.
EggChen

Postby nandersen on 28 Oct 2008 17:44

There's no user.ltx in OL2.2 distro.

I'm thinking if the problems are caused by some terrain or other textures missing...

EDIT: isn't the weather_surge.ltx somehow used to restore the sun? Or is is it only the "flare" setting that's doing this?
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 28 Oct 2008 19:13

Not sure about in OL, I know in the beta weather mod by Dezo, that it is used for that reason... I think it needs to be there, but you need not worry about the values in it. My understanding is it is started then instantly changed back to a normal weather.

Have you got all the sky_#small textures as well?? These can greatly affect the look of a level, in Panoramic mod they use one of these to create the wet surface effect.

Could you not rip the random weather out of Clear Sky??
EggChen

Postby nandersen on 28 Oct 2008 19:44

Yes, I also have the #small textures.

I don't have Clear Sky and I have no plans buying it in the nearest future so I don't know if it is even possible. Has this been done for SoC in any mod?

Thinking about the "overbright" problem - I think that I've seen it with other weather mods also (StalkerSkies and S.W.O.) - maybe it's normal? Vanilla weather and Beta Style Weather does not have this problem, however...
nandersen
Senior Resident

Return to Modding Techniques