Main Menu Songs

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Main Menu Songs

Postby Balious on 09 Jan 2009 22:10

I wanted to actually release a main menu song so I actually did something for the modding community and also put it on mine. Only problem is I don't know how to do it. Anyone care to help me on this on how to please?

I have the song I want to put on (thanks to jamie :thumbright: ) I just need to know how to actually get it onto the game.

Thanks for any help which im sure will be here as your all helpful even if you may not know :D
Balious
Senior Resident

Re: Main Menu Songs

Postby Grump642 on 10 Jan 2009 05:12

Here is a link to the Mod wiki. Best help I can give.http://sdk.stalker-game.com/en/index.ph ... and_Sounds
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 10 Jan 2009 14:24

Put the songs in audacity, and export them as 16 Bit Mono OGG, and then just rename them over the normal songs and fix the mod so it plays your songs. :)
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 14:54

I don't know audacity, I use something else, but....

If you can, before you save them, take the source music and split it into left and right channels. Then save each one as mono. The game does use mono ogg files, but for the game music it uses two files, a left and right channel. That way your menu music will be in stereo.

Originals are in sounds\music\wasteland2_1.ogg (&wastleand2_r.ogg)
EggChen

Postby Balious on 10 Jan 2009 16:37

Thanks for the help guys. Just gotta wait for the SDK to finish downloading before I can start doing this.

EDIT:
I have a little problem with trying to convert the music to 16 Bit Mono OGG. Can't find it :(
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 17:58

If your using the SDK to properly convert (and comment) these files, you don't need to convert to .ogg. The SDK will do that for you, you need to convert to mono .wav format for the SDK to do its bit.... I helped a guy out on GSC forums, I'll see if I can find the thread.
EggChen

Postby Balious on 10 Jan 2009 19:41

Ok heres what I done.

Using audacity I converted the music to wav (not totally sure about the mono) and from that used the SDK to convert it to ogg. I now have the right file and put it in gamedata/sounds. But I now don't know how to put it on the main menu. The guide doesn't tell me how only the levels and the loud speakers and the bar. How do you put it on the menu?

Little offtopic but im sure I heard the guitar_3.ogg in gamedata/sounds/music and I remenber it from somewhere but can't remenber where from. Anyone by any chance know wheres it actually from? and no I don't mean from the game.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 20:34

EggChen wrote:Originals are in sounds\music\wasteland2_1.ogg (&wastleand2_r.ogg)

Just put the files in that folder.....

Not sure which song you mean, but some of the guitar tunes are actually from the band Firelake, they did the Stalker OST songs, basically you would recognise some of the tunes from Stalker if you listened to Firelake's music.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=INw6IC3lVK0

Edit: Here is that thread I mentioned, read it.... a lot is explained in there.

http://www.gsc-game.com/main.php?t=comm ... =16#227281
EggChen

Postby Balious on 10 Jan 2009 21:13

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQ0Cl3wB ... re=related

The one at 3:05 is the song im talking about with the guitar.

And about the menu. I put the folders in sounds\music yet it still doesnt work. I have allowed the fsgame.ltx to use the gamedata folder and my song is the only one in there but it still play the original music. I had a look at the complete gamedata folder of everything unpacked and I have put it in the same place as the originals.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 10 Jan 2009 21:57

... and its in there as two seperate mono channel .ogg files??? One called wasteland2_l and one called wasteland2_r???

That will work.

Edit: I think that is an original piece for Stalker.... I know Fatrap used a remix of it for the credits of his Run & Gun mod.... http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vtAFp0wfs

That is the short version, the full version contains spoilers for Clear Sky, so don't go playing it.....
EggChen

Postby Balious on 11 Jan 2009 01:12

Im starting to feel really dumb about this :mozilla_frown: :( :-\

I tried many different ways from the way you said it as renaming the song to wasteland2_l and again as wasteland2_r but it just gives this error:

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : ovi->channels==1
[error]Function : CSoundRender_Source::LoadWave
[error]File : E:\stalker\patch_1_0004\xrSound\SoundRender_Source_loader.cpp
[error]Line : 71
[error]Description : Invalid source num channels:
[error]Arguments : c:\program files\thq\s.t.a.l.k.e.r. - shadow of chernobyl\gamedata\sounds\music\wasteland2_l.ogg

stack trace:

I read the thread you posted from GSC and it seems I did do everything thats been posted on there.
Only things I can think of is I either converted it wrong or something different happened.

And about the guitar. I now remenber where I heard it from. I feel very stupid again as it was a mod for changing the menu music for clear sky :mozilla_frown:

I might as well ask for a new brain and hope god gives me one if hes up there.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Jan 2009 01:50

OK, you have the files wrong, it is complaining that you have a stereo .ogg file...

1) Take your source music, and split it into left and right channels, saving each one (* see note).
2) Save in this format .Wav, 44100hz, 16bit, mono (named wasteland2_l and wasteland2_r)
3) Place each one in the rawdata folder of the SDK.
4) Using the SDK fix each file, you know change it to "ambient", quality to 1, volume to 1, etc
5) Take the files out of the gamedata folder in the sdk
6) Place them in your Stalker gamedata/sounds/music folder.
7) Load Stalker and enjoy your main menu playing to the theme of "Ice Ice Baby" :-bd

Note : If you cannot split the source audio file into two seperate left and right channels, you will have to take the file and save it once in the format in point 2, then copy the file and rename it so you have two identical files called wasteland2_l and wasteland2_r.

:rock: :rock: :rock:
EggChen

Postby Balious on 11 Jan 2009 02:16

Edit:
I finally got it to work after finding out I changed it to mono wrong thanks to someone on GSC.

Thanks for all the help Eggchen :mozilla_smile:

Now the question remains. Who thinks I should release it as a mini-mod for whoever wants to change their menu music? I will mainly give credit to jamie for giving me the music file for me to do the editing with, eggchen and imperialreign for helping me get it to work and of course grump for linking me to the guide on the mod wiki.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 11 Jan 2009 12:23

No need to give credit to me Bal, happy to help, oh and I think imperialreign is the guy I helped with this previously!!

As for releasing it, I don't know.... if it is Ice Ice Baby, no don't release it!! If its something cool, go for it.
EggChen

Postby Balious on 11 Jan 2009 14:46

No it is not Ice Ice Baby.

Its Silent Hill Room Of Angel:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MugPmly8- ... annel_page

I post it in mods & discussion and see what everyone thinks of it.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby fatrap on 16 Feb 2009 01:48

I did something similar for my Run n' Gun mods. I used "Get out alive" by Three Days Grace for the main menu music and I used a remixed STALKER campfire guitar tune by Crumb for the credits menu. Anyhow, a ton of work went into doing that stuff... especially the tweaked credits. I thought that folks would really like it... but the response was pretty depressing. So, if you do release it as a mini-mod, I hope that you will get a better response than I did! :thumbright:
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 16 Feb 2009 02:05

Dang John...I really like it. Showed it to everyone that came over. I knew it took you a lot of work :)
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby fatrap on 16 Feb 2009 02:10

rockingmtranch wrote:Dang John...I really like it. Showed it to everyone that came over. I knew it took you a lot of work :)

Just shows that both you and I have good taste! :-"
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 16 Feb 2009 02:32

I watched the credits as well, mainly cause I knew I was in there somewhere :-bd
EggChen

Return to Modding Techniques