flame_particles

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

flame_particles

Postby Grump642 on 17 Jan 2009 04:29

weapons\generic_weapon05 This is the flame_particles file for desert eagle. Where is it? I thought it was in particles.xr, but from the file name I'm not sure.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Re: flame_particles

Postby EggChen on 17 Jan 2009 14:29

It is in particles.xr....

Within particles xr there are many branches or folders of particles, I cannot remember them all, but example would be :

anomaly
explosion
nature
weapons

The one you mention is a particle group, which is within the weapon branch. However particle groups do not allow you to edit that much, a group is made up of particle effects. Select the group and you should see that it links into two other effects, one for the gunflash and one for the smoke. You can go and edit these effects, but it will affect every particle group that uses that effect. If you want to create a unique effect the easiest way is to clone an existing effect, it will appear in the same weapon list, rename it something like weapon_desert, and then edit the line that calls it in the ltx.

Now if you clone the particle group, it is still pointing at generic shared particle effects... so :

- open the group.
- clone it.
- from the group "select" each effect in turn.
- clone it.
- change the particle how you want.
- go back to your new clone group.
- point it at you new effects.
- change the ltx.

If you can open my particle.xr you will see when I created effects, I cloned everything I was altering into a new folder called "_ecp". This is so I ensured I was creating new effects, not inadvertantly editing vanilla effects. Then I called the new effects from an ltx, so that the vanilla effect was still available if required.
EggChen

Postby Grump642 on 18 Jan 2009 02:43

Thanks, I will try as soon as I get home and have access to the SDK. Around the end of the month. :D
Or is there a different way to open the file?
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 18 Jan 2009 03:58

SDK only as far as I know ](*,)
EggChen

Return to Modding Techniques