Editing Particles

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Editing Particles

Postby EggChen on 24 May 2009 22:42

Anyone who is messing with particles or wonders if something can be done with them, feel free to ask here.
EggChen

Re: Editing Particles

Postby Lyoko774 on 24 May 2009 23:04

(lol, I feel like I'm stalking you)
Is it possible to kill particles after they've "strayed" too far from a center point?
Lyoko774

Postby EggChen on 24 May 2009 23:12

He he, don't worry 8-[

Answers to your e-mail question, and the new one.

Lyoko774 wrote:I'm having fun with all the various things you can do..but I'm sorta running into another issue, sorry.
I can't seem to get particles to fade/kill themselves without making most of the effect..die, so to speak.
If I DON'T make them kill themselves, this happens:

http://www.xfire.com/video/c1065/
So, yeah..

Ah yes, you need to use the target_colour, target_size and kill_old actions....

You start with a colour, and make the target colour have no alpha, then using the scale setting define how slow the particle fades. You can combine this with target size, to make them shrink at the same time. To be absolutely sure, and to limit lag, you then use the kill_old effect. Say the particles fade into invisibility after 1.5 seconds, use kill_old with a setting of 2. Until you kill a particle, new ones will not spawn (presuming you have reached the limit as defined in max_particles).

With trial and error you get them fading at roughly the same rate as new ones spawn. Check other particles to see how it is done.

As for killing particles past a certain point, that is the sink function. I have not used it much, but for example with that effect your trying, you would add a sink action and define a spherical plane around the source. When particles pass that point, they are killed.
EggChen

Postby Lyoko774 on 24 May 2009 23:19

Ah!
Thanks a lot!
Man, this is kind of addicting.
Lyoko774

Return to Modding Techniques