Minimap transparency

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Minimap transparency

Postby Kaidonni on 06 Jul 2010 19:30

I've been having a bit of trouble with modding the HUD. I can figure most things out, but one thing eludes me (and I've searched the internet for an answer, it seems not very many people have tried what I want). The minimap transparency - and by minimap, I don't mean the frame in the top left corner of the ui_hud.dds file. I mean the actual minimap itself. I've had a few replies in the GSC forum, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it right whatever they are suggesting. They've even given a step-by-step, but I'm still confused. Not sure if it just isn't working is all. So, I'm asking here to get other opinions/advice.

What I'm trying to do is make the minimap itself entirely opaque. I've changed the frame to represent the PDA. Of course, the alpha channel has to be set so that the 'screen' of the PDA doesn't block the minimap. Yet, with the minimap transparent, you can see trees, the sky, etc, through it. PDA's aren't see-through, and I don't want my minimap+PDA to be see-through either. I just cannot find anything that might dictate the transparency in the xml files. I don't even know what dictates the position of HUD elements in relation to one another, whether they are behind or in front - why are the words and compass in front of the frame no matter what, but the minimap is behind? Changing the order of the entries in zone_map.xml didn't do anything...

Is anyone able to help? Many thanks.
Kaidonni
Resident

Re: Minimap transparency

Postby Nightwatch on 08 Jul 2010 13:59

OK... First of all, although I haven't checked them, I don't think that all of the GSC forum replies can be wrong and you say they have even given you step-by-step instructions, then it seems there must be a communication problem there and it is possibly due to that you tend to elaborate too long in your posts about what you try to say. It's somehow confusing to read, you should ask your questions simply, directly, without adding your hesitations, expectations and your confusion on the results.
For example, just say: "I want to make the radar minimap that's currently transparent, to be opaque." --- (if it's really what you want to do.)

Assuming that (as far as I've understood) it is what you want to do, then -as a way that I would do- you need to open and make it ready to be dismantled the ui_hud.dds file and take out the element that you want to change its characteristics (whether it may be the radar or anything else), then in a photo editor compatible with the task, alter its transparency as you wish, save it with its alpha channel (if you wish the keep the degree of its transparency/opaqueness) and move it back to the ui_hud.dds and then save it as a DDS file with its original settings (suitable so that the game can display, you know).

Fairly fast and easy to achieve any kind of alterations on any DDS file; but you need to use and be able to get along nicely with Adobe CS Photoshop (not the elements version) and Adobe CS Fireworks for this purpose.

Step-by-step instructions are impractical to offer here as, although fairly fast and easy for those who are accustomed to use it, they are far too long and as always in everything, there may be some problems along the way which may require you should alter your course accordingly. Help files are extensive and offer answers for all scenarios. (you can also ask more detailed and more specific help in Adobe forums, but in that case keep your questions simple and precise as they don't like complicated questions.)
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Kaidonni on 08 Jul 2010 16:30

I suppose referring to minimap transparency is confusing, especially the way I do it.

Okay, a bit more clearer...I want to change the transparency of the minimap. I am not on about the frame in the top left corner of ui_hud.dds, but the actual minimap that it covers. The frame itself is already transparent to a great degree when checking the alpha channel. The minimap, however, is also transparent. I cannot find anything through searching the files to control it. If I change the frame to be entirely opaque, it will cover the minimap entirely and prevent the player from seeing it (that is, the frame is placed above the minimap from the looks of things).

While I'm asking about modding textures...

On my new custom HUD, I would like to have an image for the bolt. I have a pic in ui_icon_equipment.dds and the correct co-ordinates, so w_bolt.ltx is ready to go. I don't care about it appearing in the inventory, but instead my focus is on the actual HUD. When I select weapons, the ammo type currently in use is displayed (an actual image of the ammo type) in the bottom right corner. The same goes for the binoculars, knife, and grenades. But the bolt does not appear to have anything image for this, even after assigning it one. This must mean (hopefully) that the w_bolt.ltx is missing a line or more integral to this, but I do not know which lines they would be. I have changed it's slot, but that only caused it to appear in my inventory. Does anyone have any idea about this? I have searched, but not found anything.
Kaidonni
Resident

Postby Kaidonni on 08 Jul 2010 23:00

Hmmm...strange, can't edit my previous post (so apologies for this double-post in advance).

I had an idea after finishing up perfecting my reply. I wondered if any HUD elements could appear below the minimap (the frame appears above, hence the full opacity blocking out the minimap). Since as the motion icons appeared above the motion icon box (ui_hud_stamina_full according the ui_hud.xml), I changed it's appearance and size and placed it where I wanted the minimap. Low and behold, it appeared *beneath* the minimap. So technically I have found a way around the transparency issue, except that I now need to perfect the colour of this background and also relocate the stamina bar (which I had already perfectly placed before :mozilla_frown:).

If anyone does have any other ways around this problem, it's very much appreciated. For now, although this isn't perfect, it certainly works.
Kaidonni
Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 09 Jul 2010 17:07

Post editing feature is limited to 5 hours. It's a quite reasonable time for editing any mistakes, etc in one's post; otherwise it would cause complications and misunderstandings if one edits their post many hours or days after the replies are posted. :mozilla_smile:

Although it's good to hear that you've found a way around the question in front of you, without needing to resort to work on Photoshop+Fireworks duo; however, for the future, in those kind of DDS works, it's the way to go. In fact, it's still the way to do it for your most recent question. DDS properties cannot be set or altered by xml files. It's basically a photograph and (a suitable) photo-editor's script power is required to alter its properties unless GSC or another one can integrate such script power into the X-ray. Not quite likely. (not because they can't do that, but because it's enormously expensive and... what for? It's always cheaper and easier to use an outside editor.) :mozilla_smile:

You need to open the DDS in Photoshop, then save it as a photoshop file, then open this file in Fireworks, select the item from the opened file in the window (because in Fireworks, ingredient elements become floating elements) , transfer it into Photoshop, work on it as the way you wish (like it's shape or colour, or whatever), then save it accordingly (as your wish) with desired alpha channel and other properties (like transparency) and then transfer it back to the original file still waiting in Fireworks save it. Then open this saved file in Photoshop and and save it this time in DDS format. And you should use Adobe CS3 products. CS4 Fireworks does not support alpha channel transfer. I haven't yet tried such a work on CS5.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Modding Techniques