Need some serious help with talk.xml

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Need some serious help with talk.xml

Postby Kaidonni on 27 Nov 2010 13:44

I need help with a retarded file named talk.xml. Yep, a retarded file that does not, under any circumstances, do what it should do. I know about the character info boxes, I have them figured out just fine. But all that 'question' this and 'answer' that...it's too much. It doesn't make any sense. The other day, I even managed to get the conversation text to display as I wanted it (for the most part). Then I changed something, a width value, and ever since, even trying out the vanilla values last night, it has not done a single thing it should have.

It's the NPC text - it keeps getting cut off. Technically, the area in which the text should go is 443 pixels wide out of 463 pixels on my ui (using a new conversation panel, 463 pixels is the width of the central area where conversation text goes). The scroll fits in comfortably, at the maximum of 463 pixels. But now, I cannot get this to happen, no matter what. Seriously. I've tried changing values, oh I've tried. Text is *always* cut-off. It refuses to run any less than 463 pixels. I can't even figure out what part of the xml controls the scroll, either. Not anymore.

Even worse, the player's text, where you select answers and replies, never even worked the other day. Take the conversation with Wolf at the start, and the selectable text," You don't rescue your own people from prison? Not what I would call friendly. Or is it that you're just too weak to do it?" Yeah...it is *always* cut-off, now, at around 'call.' It runs as one line now. It refuses to go to two lines like in vanilla (and we're even talking using vanilla values for the xml file - seriously!).

I really need someone to guide me through what purpose this file even fulfils, because right now there is none. I have smashed my keyboard and mouse repeatedly over this. It's the first thing ever in Stalker modding to get me so upset. I have a hunch it'll be the last, because I am beginning to feel that I shouldn't waste my time any more on this game. This file is changing everything about my perception of modding. I know there are difficulties in modding, and great challenges...but when a file makes no sense, and refuses to even work like it did in vanilla (using vanilla values!) or like it randomly did for a few moments the other day...is it even worth it? The rest of my work for this game could be made pointless by another file playing up. I don't want to risk losing all my work because a retard was let loose by GSC building the xml files, but I am willing to throw the towel in to save my quality of life and stop me from making any monumental mistakes.
Kaidonni
Resident

Re: Need some serious help with talk.xml

Postby Nightwatch on 29 Nov 2010 16:07

It's obvious that there have been made a number of changes, and it's also possible that there may be one or other you may not recall now; so, a well-proven generic approach is the best. I'd suggest that you put the original file back in its pace and start from the beginning all the things that you've done, step by step, and at one point you will hit the current problem which will identify the source of problem. Then once you know what causes it you can start working on it. Starting from the fresh is always the best. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Modding Techniques