GIMP 2.0

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

GIMP 2.0

Postby priboi on 17 Apr 2011 22:29

Hey guys, i am using GIMP 2.0 and having trouble saving texture files as .dds. I have never really edited the texture files in stalker, so if anyone has some tips about using gimp with .dds files or if someone knows how to save a .dds please post it here :mozilla_smile: Thanks
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5400
CPU: Intel Pentium 2.20Ghz dualcore
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-G31m-S2L
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z4
DISPLAY: ViewSonic VA1903wmb
SOUND CARD: Realtek HD Audio output
RAM: Transcend 2Gb
priboi

Re: GIMP 2.0

Postby stork...err on 20 Apr 2011 07:05

Alright dude i have had like a month's break from messing with mods so i might not be remembering this right but i did successfully use gimp to mod stalker so it is definitely possible, i can confirm that much ;).

Now from memory i also had trouble saving the file right, i'm not on my pc at the moment so i can't go over exactly how i did it...hmm i think when you try and save an image, it defaults to the gimp file system which does not help us out as it is not compatible with stalker. So next time when you save it try and change the options for saving it, make it a different file type. There are several different compression types used and sorry i really cannot remember which one it is but thru experimenting i found that some compression types store a very crappy image while one of them stores a good image. Save it in all the different compression file types and then reopen them to see which one works.

That's about as good an explanation as i can give you. Sorry for the pretty vague help...better than nothing...maybe... :-k

If it doesn't help then tell me and if i can i'll give you a better explanation.
stork...err

Postby priboi on 20 Apr 2011 22:05

Thanks mate, just needed to know if i was on the right track messing with the compression of the image. :mozilla_smile: You would'nt know what a volume maps is by the way? Thanks heaps :-bd
priboi

Postby priboi on 20 Apr 2011 23:56

Just to let ya know, I played round with the compression and format and found out that I dont even need to compress the image, just set the format to RGB8 and the image appears in average quality. :-bd All i forgot to do (being noobie) was to anchor the new image I cropped in, that was why I was getting all those weird "volume map" errors Thanks for ya help stork...er :mozilla_smile:
priboi

Postby stork...err on 27 Apr 2011 03:03

Happy I could help.

Gimp works great once you get used to it. No drop in image quality that I can tell, the compressed image should be pretty much the same size as the original (usually a bit bigger but can be a lot bigger depending on how much stuff you add and how many colours etc you use). Made a slightly okay black mp3 skin with a little messing around and changed a bunch of inventory items. Cool program, a little rough but gets the job done great.
Good luck with ya mod.
stork...err

Postby VINTAR on 03 May 2011 14:53

Actually I find that gimp does affect the image quality if you resize it, but you can adjust the image size in the xml and it is not affected at all, so best to leave it at the original size and resize in stalker files.
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5 @ 3.6ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
2 GIGS Transcend DDR2 800 pc6400 @ 960
Thermaltake Tough Power 650w PSU
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
-----------------------------------
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby priboi on 25 May 2011 06:42

Off topic lol, but what exactly are the mesh files in the stalker files? the file extension says.OGF but i downloaded a gimp plug-in and it came up with an error and said they were .WMF files not .OGF, :-?
priboi

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 25 May 2011 13:30

One might be mistaken but those might have something to do with the models, the actual ingame shape and whatnot
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby priboi on 26 May 2011 05:23

Ah, so the .dds files are the texture (eg: colours and details) and the meshes are the shape of the object. But..........When i load a .dds in GIMP 2.0, it asks if i want to load mipmaps, i thought this was the modeling of the object and how the texture .dds files a pieced together? you know, when you open a .dds, the image is in a kind of jigsaw of pieces that have to be rearanged to make an actual object?

lol hope everyone can understand what im meaning :mozilla_smile:
priboi

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 26 May 2011 05:38

Well One's knowledge on the 'what's what' is limited, so One is a bit in a loss from this point on. Perhaps someone else who knows more will soon venture through here.
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 26 May 2011 16:29

On that OGF matter, DARK TEMPLAR is right. They are three dimensional shape files. If you were to drop one of them into MAYA (or other compatible Autodesk products), provided that you have the necessary plug-in, then you'd see them in various manageable shapes/graphics, sort of graphics you'd see in CAD graphics works. In your case, GIMP plug-in is way too much faulty, unfortunately (or any of its settings, I can't comment, for don't know GIMP); as they are actually OGF files, no where near being WMF. :mozilla_smile:

Well, some DDS files do come with mipmaps, they are used to provide guided scaling of the same object in different proportions, from near view to far away, if I've managed to explain properly in correct terminology, as I'm not a graphical designer by profession. But, it's the main idea there. You may not need to deal with mipmaps for all DDS files, depends on conditions. |Just load them if they come with mipmaps and save them as they were, to be on the safe side.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby priboi on 27 May 2011 05:09

Thanks Nightwatch :mozilla_smile:, think i get the general idea. Im only playing round with the textures at the moment so ill just load the mipmaps like you sugested :thumbright:
priboi

Return to Modding Techniques