Two routers

Two routers

Postby rockingmtranch on 04 Mar 2012 01:02

Need more lan ports? Wifi not working on your main router and your internet card only works with it because your other routers are out of date? No fear B-)

My Cradlepoint MBR900 router has wifi capability but in the almost two years I've had it, I've never needed or used it. Little did I know, it doesn't or never did work. After fussing with it a couple weeks, I gave up. Until today when my son came over and I asked him to check my settings. Hour later, he's stumped. So I asked God or Google or whatever you want to call it. And here was my answer:

Take the router that you just took out of the closet (mine was a Kyocera KR2) and hook it to a computer. Any computer. Now, set the IP address to 198.162.0.2 or whatever is one more number than your current router otherwise they conflict. Also, turn off DHCP because you don't want it assigning address' to your computers. Your main router does that.

Save your settings and close the browser.

Turn off the power to both routers. Plug a regular CAT-5 cable in to the number 1 port on your main router and into the number 4 port on your closet router.

Power on your main router first then closet.

Wireless should now work off closet router and you now have 6 ports instead of 4. Just remember to log into closet computer and set your wifi security. :thumbright:

That's it. You're done. If you didn't notice also, the routers are years apart and not even close to same manufacturers. How cool is that B-)

Source: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/48 ... ether.html
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Return to Hardware Corner