Help with choosing a monitor

Re: Help with choosing a monitor

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Jan 2009 11:37

VINTAR wrote:Hope all goes well with the monitor Nightwatch.

I was going to suggest this monster :

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24HUBCFV/XAA

But alas, its too late she cried :mozilla_wink:

Thank you VINTAR. :mozilla_smile:

The one that you'd suggest was a very good one as well. I was thinking about Samsung as well, but I saw several reports saying that Samsung was using LCD panels from 3 different sources and each souce was differing from the others in quality, only one of them being the real good one. And it was a lottery which model screen you'd end up with. So I guess this (rightly or wrongly) put me off from Samsung at the time of decision.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 13 Jan 2009 15:13

That TFT display looks GREAT! :-bd Think I might have to buy one now...
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Jan 2009 22:16

Thanks :mozilla_smile: If you get one, I can give you the display settings, so you can check if they suit to your taste of colours as well. I use a combination of Monitor settings+Nvidia Control panel settings+Adobe Gama profile settings (this one uses ASUS's own profile anyway)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 14 Jan 2009 02:14

I hate to admit it but, I haven't done anything with my monitor but plug it in and play. And it looks wonderful. Maybe a trip to the eye doctor is in order LOL.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby ket on 14 Jan 2009 11:35

"Some people" :p Theres usually something screwy with the factory settings (if not several things screwy) you know your too old when you don't notice them lol.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 14 Jan 2009 12:39

I need to be fair and say that this monitor did also come with very nice image/colours. But, as I said, I', a bit too particular about the "correct" color reproduction on the screen, by this I mean that sometimes -for many monitors- colours do not "correctly" (and exactly) correspont the actual colors. This is not so easy -if any at all- to judge with naked eye no matter you have a good eye :mozilla_smile:

Because they come with enhanced/tweaked simulated colors which make the images on the monitors vibrant to please the customer to the best, but... it may not be a guarantee that the red you see on the screen is the actual red that would correspond in its colour code chart, say, to what you would see when you print the photograph, for example.

In these kinds of situations, while you're very happy with the rendition of red on the screen, it may however turn out to be a bit magenta in fact when it's correctly printed.

My pain was due to that reason only, lol, :D, trying to be a perfectionist maybe, or stubborn enough to take on the monitor and hurting my eyes for hours. Otherwise, this ASUS VW222U came with perfect image quality, I have to be honest. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 14 Jan 2009 22:15

Yeah. What Nightwatch said Ket. So, :mozilla_tongue: :butthead:

:))
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby audioave10 on 17 Jan 2009 08:47

That's funny ^^ =))
My monitors (both of them) are literally plug & play.
I can't see the difference...these young guys with perfect vision.. :angry6: :angry8: :color:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby VINTAR on 19 Jan 2009 13:59

Anyone had experience ith lcd`s made by LG?

Reason I ask is that I can get a 22" for $150 which I think is quite cheap
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5 @ 3.6ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
2 GIGS Transcend DDR2 800 pc6400 @ 960
Thermaltake Tough Power 650w PSU
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
-----------------------------------
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 19 Jan 2009 14:20

Any particular model in mind?

I'll post some links that offer tests on panels as well, just in a mo.

edit:
OK, these are the links to the sites that offer extensive tests onvarious LCD monitors, they are also updating their tests and the monitors time to time as usual, so it'll be a good idea to check those regularly.

BeHardware:
22 inch LCD monitors
http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-1/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

LCD Panels in Monitors
http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm

Xbit
22" Monitors Roundup:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/22inch-2.html

PCHardwareHelp
LCD Panel Technology Explained
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby VINTAR on 20 Jan 2009 06:32

Thanks fo the links Nightwatch.

Heres a link to where I buy most of my stuff, you might find it interesting to see prices in Rands :

http://www.zones.co.za/
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 20 Jan 2009 11:12

lol, when I'm used to look at the prices through the British Pound, these prices in Rands that reach to thousands are a bit of shocking first, until you realize that it's the Rand, lol. :D

Do you have a specific model of LG monitor in mind?
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby VINTAR on 21 Jan 2009 09:31

Was just going to get the 22" one thats pictured in the bottom right corner.

Having second thoughts at the moment seeing as I need a total upgrade and the monitor should be the last thing I get.

Theres also no point in buyin one of the Dsktop PC`s from them either. They are cheap, but then you get what you pay for.

I will definitely want a better MOBO than they have.
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 21 Jan 2009 11:08

Very good way of thinking, if you ask my opinion. You can built your own PC to your own specifications, choosing the material yourself. It'll come cheaper even than buying the same spec PC from a shop. :mozilla_smile: Go for it. We all help each other here anyway, if one of us doesn't have good info on a particular component well enough, others will definitely know it.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby VINTAR on 22 Jan 2009 06:27

Thanks.

I dont have the money at the moment for a total upgrade, but will start buying things slowly and getting exactly what I want.

For now I`ve just asked Eggchen about his old AGP card, that will tie me over until I can get more cash.
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Feb 2009 17:27

Hey guys, thought I would chip in here......

I managed to use my spare PC World vouchers and a little cash to get this beauty.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displays ... ctId=31919

I am very impressed with it, fast 2ms response time, pin sharp image, and good colour/contrast. I have preferred CRT for refresh rate for many years now, but decided the PC I have should be running things at higher res than 1024x768. I now run at 1440x900 and am very impressed, Stalker looks beautiful, Fallout 3 atmospheric and Crysis and GTA IV simply awesome.... widescreen is the way to go!!

Another little tip, though I did not use the site above they have a very good price on this monitor, and they also can perform a dead pixel check when you buy a monitor. £10-£15 (depending on screen size) gives you the guarantee many manufacturers do not, no dead, stuck or permanently lit pixels or your money back.

Now the question - are there any good methods for configuring a new monitor? I noticed Nightwatch posted a screen with a colour and contrast matrix... at the moment I am using it with out of the box settings, but wonder if it could be refined.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 22 Feb 2009 00:50

It sounds like Nightwatch can show you how to tweak it. For me, plug &
play is fine (for my eyes). If you go 1440x900, you should be able to
crank all settings up on your system. I went 20" to go to 1680x1050.
My other one is 22" 1680x1050. As long as your going to be "looking" at it, the higher the resolution you can go the better off you are.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 22 Feb 2009 01:36

Thanks Dave, yep I am running everything at the native res, my PC can handle anything at that res... there is plenty of potential to OC stuff if I ever need it for future games.

I was using a 17" CRT at 1024x768 before, so the increased desktop space is handy, and most games look better in widescreen, though a few need some research and tweaks to get working properly.

It looks good out of the box, but if NW cares to share how he does it, would be nice to tweak a few values.
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Feb 2009 03:10

EggChen wrote:Thanks Dave, yep I am running everything at the native res, my PC can handle anything at that res... there is plenty of potential to OC stuff if I ever need it for future games.

I was using a 17" CRT at 1024x768 before, so the increased desktop space is handy, and most games look better in widescreen, though a few need some research and tweaks to get working properly.

I looks good out of the box, but if NW cares to share how he does it, would be nice to tweak a few values.

Of course, by all means. I'd only be happy to be of any help, if my idea is to be asked. :mozilla_smile:
My monitor is ASUS and its settings (that I made) may not actually go well with yours, if it had been ASUS I'd recommend my monitor settings. However, I use monitor+Nvidia card Nvidia Control Panel settings as well.

And they go like this:

(open control panel-additional options-Nvidia Control Panel. Then, once the Nvidia Control Panel comes, find on the left hand panel= "adjust desktop color settings" and click on it. You'll see5 sliders with titles: brightness, Digital Vibrance, contrast, image sharpness and gamma)

You need to use the either a) Nvidia Control Panel pictures next to the panel, they are small and not very detailed, or b) more professional colour/grey scale coded "Monitor Color Correction Chart," like the group that I used.

(I will zip the chart group and add as an attachment under this post, wait for the edit please)

Open up the pictures on your monitor and arrange them in a way that you can see the most of them. The most important ones are the skin color and grey scale, check the woman's arm to achieve the best color tone as it would appear to you, should not be too reddish either. However, you shopuld be able to see the reds in the picture (some toys in the park, I think) as red. You also should be able to see all the grays from lower to the rich black at the end of the scale. It's an eye-sore experience, very tiring if you're not lucky and can't get it quickly :mozilla_smile:

My Nvidia Control Panel settings:

Brightness: 50
Digital Vibrance: 34
Contrast: 50
Image Sharpening: None (0)
Gamma: 50

If it'll help, ASUS monitor panel is set also like this:
Brightness: 90
Contrast: 80
ASCR: None
Sharpness: 59
saturation: 50

But in any case, you can set your monitor at its best using the color chart. Use also the attached Gamma Chart, you should be able to see the gradual gray to black change across the lines.

OK, This is the link to Mediafire to download the Monitor Calibration Chart. It is 1.8 Mb zipped, so I uploaded to dedicated download servers, it'll be better, and faster this way.

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?mfizinmemvi
-----
-----
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Corner