Quantum computers are in the horizon

Quantum computers are in the horizon

Postby Nightwatch on 05 Sep 2009 14:36

Well, as this BBC news explains better (which I've come across while browsing the news) it seems bells for the current ways computing have started to sound.

It says that: Quantum computers exploit the counterintuitive fact that photons or trapped atoms can exist in multiple states or "superpositions" at the same time... While traditional or "classical" computers find factoring large numbers impracticably time-consuming, for example, quantum computers can in principle crack the problem with ease."
Although they are at the very early stage now and only a lab test chip has been made, but as we all know how fast the computer technology moves we can start seeing them "around" in near future.

Apparently, these new Optical computers has been touted as a potential future for information processing, by using packets of light instead of electrons as the information carrier.
"But these packets, called photons, are also endowed with the indeterminate properties that make them quantum objects - so an optical computer can also be a quantum computer.
In fact just this kind of photon-based quantum factoring has been accomplished before, but the ability to put the heart of the machine on a standard chip is promising for future applications of the idea."

The BBC news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8236943.stm
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Quantum computers are in the horizon

Postby Grump642 on 06 Sep 2009 01:33

Interesting. Einstein would have questions though. For instance, sub-atomic particles are funny. Relativity( general, I believe) says that you may know a particles speed and direction, but not it's position. Or you may know it's position, but not the other. Laws of probability and all that stuff. Plus, just the act of viewing a particle, changes that particle. Maybe they get around all this because a photon behaves like a particle and like a wave? Heavy stuff.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 06 Sep 2009 18:14

That's a paradox in science. You have to take measurements, but to
do that with particles you change them - so you can't take those very
measurements you need. Certainly heavy stuff. The quantum PC tech
may be possible with light in other ways. I don't think you will see this
very soon.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby VINTAR on 07 Sep 2009 07:51

Just put a lit candle in a microwave, turn it on, and you will see photon waves :D
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5 @ 3.6ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
2 GIGS Transcend DDR2 800 pc6400 @ 960
Thermaltake Tough Power 650w PSU
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
-----------------------------------
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 07 Sep 2009 17:52

LOL, Vintar...you must surely be dangerous. :))
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 04 Oct 2009 00:49

Interesting in principle, in practicality? It won't deliver what people hope. However, there are theories that allow for a particle to exist called a Takeon (SP?) this particle uses the speed of light as its lower threshold, it can't go slower than the speed of light, but it can go infinately faster. These particles are supposedly predictable in nature, so if these little guys can be found people could have a Takeon powered CPU with light acting as conventional data pipelines and Takeons within those pipelines carring the data.

You all follow that? Good :d :P
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Return to Hardware Corner