Replacing the CPU on my P.O.S.

Replacing the CPU on my P.O.S.

Postby MeanderingBeing on 11 Sep 2009 19:45

So a while back, I bought a relatively awesome computer... but that was over 3 years ago. After running some diagnostic software, I discovered that my motherboard can support a faster CPU. There are several problems interfering with me simply replacing the CPU:

1) There is this MASSIVE cooling system on top of my motherboard, occupying roughly 70% of my case's interior volume. I don't even know where to start when it comes to removing this monster. I cannot find any clips, levers, screws, bolts, or any such method of attaching and ultimately, detaching the unit.
2) I don't even know what the CPUs my board can support, nor how to check...
3) My computer is in a box in a UPS truck somewhere between Wilkes-Barre PA and my new residence...

I don't have pictures of my monstrous cooling system or any of my internals, but will get some so you guys can see what I am talking about. But that requires me getting my damn computer first.
Anyways, I just wanted to throw this out there and ask if you guys have any ideas...?

I am also planning on upgrading my RAM (I currently have 3.5 GB) to 8 GB ddr2... possibly more if they make ddr2 cards bigger than 2GB per unit, and I also want to get (yet another) new video card and a sound card.

So anyways, yeah, I am pretty much clueless when it comes to checking what my M.Board supports CPU wise, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what I am talking about when I say monstrous cooling unit, please help me with this unwieldy thing!
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Re: Replacing the CPU on my P.O.S.

Postby jamie1992 on 11 Sep 2009 20:28

If you are gonna get 8Gb of ram, make sure you are using 64Bit if using XP, cause it can't use over 3 odd GB on 32Bit if i recall correct.

As for the rest, i haven't the faintest sorry.
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 12 Sep 2009 02:24

It might help if you told us what you know about what you have now. Intel or AMD?
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 12 Sep 2009 03:00

I am running an Intel/ATI rig right now. Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I have my specs posted somewhere on this forum... Allow me to look a moment...

EDIT: here it is, mate!
Intel Pentium 4 Core Duo CPU 3Ghz
Model# x86 Family 15 model stepping 3

BIOS
Dell - 7

ATI Radeon HD 4650 DDR2

3.5gb RAM system memory
4gb PageFile

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.26 Service Pack 3

This is the only information I can get on my mainboard:
MODEL FC/ SUBMODEL 02/ REVISION 74
COMPUTER TYPE PC-XT 286
SUBMODEL PC-AT

So, whats the score on the CPU? What do you guys think I can get on this thing.
And the fan inside my case looks kinda like this:
http://xiaoyoutiao.3322.org/images/othe ... ROAD-1.JPG
Except bigger... Alot bigger... and on the front, not the back of the case (it intakes air, a 50mm fan blows it over these really big heatsinks, and then it blows out the now hot air into case, and right onto my video card. Yes, I realize that this thing needs to be replaced, but I don't know how to remove it.)
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 12 Sep 2009 06:39

You have a "made for Dell mobo" I think, so learning about it might be a pain. If your Dell has a model number you should google it and
see what you get. If you have a front intake fan (or a place for one),
and a rear exhaust fan, you can just jerk-off that air intake tube. It
would be useless then anyway. That's assuming you have a decent CPU cooler.
If its a pain you might consider a new case for $40.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... r%20Master

You can download CPUZ (a tiny program) that may give more info on your motherboard.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 13 Sep 2009 01:06

If memory serves, you may not even have a CPU fan. Just the air duct directing air across a heatsink on your CPU. If so, you can not remove the duct without risking your CPU overheating. If so, I think the heatsink would be held on by push-pins. Just push them in and turn to release.
I think you mean a Pentium Duel-Core? Pent 4 was only a single core chip. If so, you probably have a 800Mhz FSB. It should be LGA 775. There are some pretty good E-xxxx series chips on the market, probably a lot better then what you have. I would be guessing if I went any further. Take Audioave's advice and use CPU-Z to find out some more about what you have. Then let us know. There is hope, but Dell sucks for upgrading.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 14 Sep 2009 03:12

No, my pc does have a fan on the front end, I've opened up my pc plenty of times to know that much. Although it is bigger than guesstimated. I actually have a 120mm fan on the front, with and air duct directing air over a very large heatsink. I have further added an 80mm fan on the back wall of the case, directly over the graphics card. There was a nasty hot spot of air in that area, so I was hoping to improve circulation in my computer. The fan further helped clear some of the heated air out of the case.

As far as the CPU info goes, that taken out of a diagnostic program on my computer. I believe the program was Sandra Lite or something like that? I don't know if it is a reliable program or not, but it certainly seemed to provide accurate information.

But anyways, I will definitely use CPU-Z to acquire further info on my rig, but I am still waiting on it to arrive. I just got word that my computer has not been sent at all, in fact, because the sender doesn't have money to send it. Soooo, now I am waiting on my stuff being shipped from Virginia, without any knowledge of when it is actually going to be sent. *sigh*
Patience is not a virtue of mine.... :-w

eh, sorry about that, I just need to get some of that pent up steam vented....
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Return to Hardware Corner