Windows 7 -Same Old Duck or A New Beginning?

Windows 7 -Same Old Duck or A New Beginning?

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Jan 2009 21:31

Windows 7 is a new operating system from Windows, which is being prepared for launch so soon after the release of VISTA for many suggested reasons ranging from trying to cover the shortcomings of VISTA to the claims of yet another money-grabbing initiative from Windows. Choose as you like. But fact of the matter is that Windows 7 is coming whether we like it or not and will start grinning at us quite soon.

So... what do we think, we the customer who are expected to pay another large sums from our pockets? Is it worth it? Will the new OS be fully compatible with all current software; it's claimed that it will be. But, will it be actual case in reality if we step out of the marketing hype?

FREE ]beta of Windows 7 is available from Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

I think, while there is some time before we've found Windows 7 in front of us and it starts confusing minds with a lot of questions with it, we'd better start to look into it, gather information and discuss about it. Any new info, any new idea and thought on the subject will undoubedly be very important.

As it stands, the reviews is like this:

Some Views From Montreal Gazette:

"Faster, faster, faster

From super-fast start-up times to quicker program launches and overall performance, Windows 7 addresses many of Windows Vista's speed issues. We installed Windows 7 on a 5-year-old laptop (1.83GHz processor with 1GB of RAM) and it ran quickly and efficiently. It's also a lot faster and easier to search your computer for files, as well as attached devices like external hard drives, or other PCs on your home network.

Sharing data across all your PCs and mobile devices will be a lot easier, too - tasks like adding a friend's contact information on your smart phone and having it immediately and wirelessly synchronize with your laptop at home. Expect smooth integration between Windows 7 and the suite of online Windows Live services.

Improved navigation

Finding programs and files - especially the ones you use often - will be a lot easier with Windows 7. The streamlined user interface includes a cleaner desktop and task bar (which lies along the bottom of the screen). With the latter, simply place your mouse cursor over the graphic thumbnail and you can see a preview of recently viewed files (such as photos, music or documents) or shortcuts to programs. Microsoft calls this feature "jump lists," and we found it worked very well - though it does borrow heavily from Apple's Mac OS X Dock.

Better compatibility

Microsoft took a lot of heat over Windows Vista when it came to software and hardware compatibility - many programs and peripherals simply wouldn't work until downloadable "patches" or updates were available. Microsoft assures that this isn't the case with Windows 7, as it will be compatible with the same hardware, applications and device drivers as Windows Vista. In our initial testing, Windows 7 was able to run a dozen applications and games without a hitch, and recognized connected accessories, too. Microsoft says it took a more "evolved" approach to Windows 7, which should reduce compatibility issues considerably."

Full Article:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Life/Sev ... story.html

Additional reading on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 -Same Old Duck or A New Beginning?

Postby audioave10 on 01 Feb 2009 02:15

Most say that Windows 7 is clearly what Vista should have been.
But besides that it seems to be well liked by the reports I've read
so far. Since I'm on XP SP 3 (and I've never regretted it) maybe I
can finally feel the need to upgrade since eventually DirectX and
other changes will just be a matter of time (and games).
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 01 Feb 2009 14:22

W7, assuming MS don't dick around with things theres no need to, will be the replacement for XP. Time will tell though.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 01 Feb 2009 17:40

If you're on XP and it's working, I say stay with it. I upgraded to Vista because my XP wasn't working right. Even after all the horror stories I'd read about Vista (ie: http://www.montanamenagerie.org/forum/v ... f=36&t=587). IMHO, it is your particular combination of hardware and software that tells the tale of woes or sorrows with an operating system and, I was fortunate to have a great running system right off the bat. Many are not so, um, lucky is all that comes to mind.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby EggChen on 01 Feb 2009 18:31

Yep, Vista (even 64bit) has so far worked like a charm for me, not one problem, and only one program not compatible (even that is compatible with 32 bit Vista).

I know there are many horror stories, and I know it uses more system resource than XP, but from my own experience I was very pleasantly surprised.

Windows 7 may well be even better for us gamers, but unless there is a serious reason to move, I'll stick with Vista. Last I read, DirectX11 will work on Vista, and with DirectX10 hardware, but I'm sure someone will correct me if this is no longer the case!!

Of course, it may have been different had I even tried the SDK on Vista...
EggChen

Postby ket on 01 Feb 2009 22:30

Vista is retarded. Theres just WAY too much messing around you have to do with it to even get it to start behaving more like XP - even when your supposed to be the administrator. Combine that with literally double the resources needed to run what is bloatware, and its the major reason why Vista gets such a gigantic thumbs down. I know of people who at the time were running pretty powerful hardware, and had to specifically upgrade to run the same settings they could on XP in games. Oh yes, and Vista is also about 30% slower at file copying than XP and hardware accelerated audio has been butchered.
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301

ket
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 01 Feb 2009 23:16

Its bloated, and more resource hungry than XP, but some of the negative press out there is just not supported :

Some benchmarks showing Vista SP1 to be faster.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 031,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 500,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 527,00.asp

This next set of results is pre Service Pack 1, and even then its a matter of a few percent (with the exception of one game).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp- ... 531-4.html

The Tom's Hardware article makes interesting reading in full, some results are actually better in Vista, though some are far worse.

The hardware sound issue is a pain, no doubt, and forced me to ditch my Audigy, but there are reasons for it. Once developers get (properly) onboard with software audio, the difference will be non-existant. Current processors would possibly use 1-2% delivering the sound. Again this article makes interesting reading :

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/759/759538p1.html

Now these benchmarks could be selective, maybe older games will run better... maybe those showing Vista in a bad light were not shown... they could even be sponsored by MS. I'm sure similar benchmarks could be found showing XP to be far faster, in my real life experience, I have not regretted moving to Vista from XP.

I did a fair bit of reading up on this before going for Vista. I also tweaked it once installed, much like I did XP, it ran fine for me!! I didn't like it when I first got it, but I didn't like XP either!!

Saying all of that, lets hope W7 puts both previous iterations of Windows to shame!!

Edit: I kind of agree with ket on the retarded point, but would alter it slightly.... Vista treats its users like they are retarded!! You really need to turn off a lot of the hand-holding to get a smooth experience. Vista UAC was the first thing I turned off.
EggChen

Postby Grump642 on 02 Feb 2009 00:09

I am afraid I have to agree with EggChen. Aside from the UAC, I have had no real problems with Vista. If it is slower, I have not noticed it. I know that drivers were a big problem at first, but I have no problems there at all. Suprisingly, to me, I would give it a B grade.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 02 Feb 2009 00:29

Software will NEVER be able to do what hardware can. Hardware also has, among many other advantages, being able to offload the duties of audio entirely to the soundcard, freeing up CPU cycles for more important tasks. 5-8% may not sound like much, but try doing some CAD work then try coming back and saying that 5-8% doesn't make a difference :p My main point still remains though, the OS eats all those extra god damn resources and its slower at important things like file copying, thats just piss poor programming. Games on Vista is a moot point, but there all the same, toms is not really a good source. I would dig up some far better ones, but theres not much point with W7 not too far off. Arguing if Vista is better than XP has been done to death on a crapload of forums I frequent, xtremesystems, TPU, etc. Generally its agreed Vista blows in the areas it touted as being its "strengths".

ket
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 02 Feb 2009 05:35

Why oh why did I not "knock on wood" when I posted how great my pc was running? Damnit. I'll start a new thread. Crap.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby Grump642 on 03 Feb 2009 04:50

Well, I guess I will find out how W7 is firsthand. Just signed up to Beta test it. Should be fun! ](*,)
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 03 Feb 2009 21:56

Grump642 wrote:Well, I guess I will find out how W7 is firsthand. Just signed up to Beta test it. Should be fun! ](*,)

Great, it'll be very informative to read your evaluation of it. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 17 Feb 2009 02:59

W7 beta rules. I just hope MS don't fark it up.

ket
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 20 Feb 2009 07:08

I'm VERY interested in hearing Grump's first impressions.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 22 Feb 2009 06:38

I never could get it to DL. After 3 hrs, I was half done and it froze. Happened twice. By the time I could get a good enough signal to try again, it was too late. Damn MS set the DL so that Java was doing it. Pissed me off. I was really looking forward to this. But I have heard nothing but good about Win7 from others.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby nandersen on 27 Mar 2009 19:16

Maybe not 100% on topic but I really don't want to start a new thread about this: I understand that W7 beta is similar in terms of features to Vista Ultimate. But now I have to ask: what's in Vista Ultimate compared to other versions of Vista?
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 28 Mar 2009 05:18

Nothing. It takes some from Vista Business and adds it to Home Premium, that's it.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby nandersen on 28 Mar 2009 07:36

So I should just go with the cheapest x64 version for a gaming PC?
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 28 Mar 2009 15:47

I use the x64 Home version and it seems just fine for gaming. I actually bought the x32 version, didn't like it, downloaded the 64 and they accepted the key from the 32 for activation.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Next

Return to Software Desk