Windows 7 -Same Old Duck or A New Beginning?

Re: Windows 7 -Same Old Duck or A New Beginning?

Postby NatVac on 10 May 2009 09:43

I wonder if Vista is smoother because it has had more time to tweak its prefetch. Or maybe it's smoother because you have had more time to tweak the processes and the like, nandersen.

Folks have been calling Windows 7 "Vista SP3"; supposedly they removed the bloatware that crept into Vista. I've not yet seen any compelling reason for Vista users to use the release candidate.
NatVac
Resident

Postby nandersen on 10 May 2009 10:26

NatVac wrote:I wonder if Vista is smoother because it has had more time to tweak its prefetch. Or maybe it's smoother because you have had more time to tweak the processes and the like, nandersen.

I'e been thinking exactly the same thing, NatVac. I'm pretty sure that I have my w7 services optimized the same way as in Vista though. Still, shutting down, booting and logging off is slower than in Vista and that regardless of superfetch service running or not. I tried booting Vista with superfetch disabled and it was faster than usual.
Yes, the app startup could be slower because of incomplete "training" of the superfetcher.

Another possibility could be build optimizations: maybe the Vista x64 build was created using a different compiler than the current W7 or maybe they haven't removed all debug features because some components are not yet fully tested.

NatVac wrote:Folks have been calling Windows 7 "Vista SP3"; supposedly they removed the bloatware that crept into Vista. I've not yet seen any compelling reason for Vista users to use the release candidate.

If you have a Vista x64 and don't need the Virtual XP setup like I do then there's no way I can recommend switching to 7.

For WinXP users, however, this might be a reasonable decision since you get a x64 OS with the possibility to run some legacy stuff in the Virtual XP environment.

Either way, moving to Win7 can be as frustrating experience as trying to play STALKER game unpatched. This is a good OS for FREE but not yet something good enough to pay for.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Still using Windows 7 RC

Postby nandersen on 22 May 2009 17:28

Even though some annoying things still make me swear a couple of times during a windows session I think that Windows 7 is a good OS. It definitely still has a BETA feeling to it but not in any seriously disturbing way. If you look at it as a test subject it is a very cooperative one.

The biggest annoyances:
1) the lack of a "Favorite folders" menu in the new Windows Explorer - now you have to use space on the left to have some shortcuts and scrolling is necessary if you have more than 3-4 favorites. They also scroll out of view if you use the "Expand to current folder" feature in folder view.
2) The full-row selection in details view in Explorer: this makes drag'n drop operations troublesome. I ended up unintentionally running scripts, adding the dragged item to a .zip archive or moving it to a folder - because the dragging automatically selects an item in the target folder making that item the target. This could be avoided if the full-row selection could be disabled (to get WinXP like behavior) but it seems that it can't be done.

So what do I like about Windows 7? Pretty much everything else :)

By the way I just replaced my 4 year old WD Raptor with one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820167005

Booting and launching apps feels significantly faster and the lack of sound is almost disturbing :)
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 04 Jun 2009 16:53

Windows 7 relase date has been announced:

Microsoft will launch Windows 7 on October 22

Microsoft says the quality of the code has allowed it to move ahead of schedule. Indeed, the Beta and Release Candidate have been impressively stable.

Windows 7 will available in five flavours:

Starter, which is aimed a netbooks, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate. Starter was originally crippled by an arbitrary three-app limit, meaning only three applications could be run at one time.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

64bit or 32bit

Postby audioave10 on 18 Sep 2009 05:10

Woot! I get a Windows 7 64bit license from my tech buddy for my Quad core rebuild in 2 days. I'll be learning it for awhile.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Re: 64bit or 32bit

Postby Nightwatch on 18 Sep 2009 11:51

My Win7 64 came, but, look at the chance... once in a million and it hits me. The disc is faulty. It starts copying files and stops at 33% giving error code for possible disc problem. No way-around worked. They'll be sending me another one. So, with this postal strike, well, at least ten days? or a month? Who knows. :-?? :mozilla_smile:

But I've seen the installation screen at least. that looked nice. :mozilla_smile:

---------------------
edited for typo
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 20 Sep 2009 02:20

Running strong - Windows 7 64bit - quite a change from XP for me, but exciting. All working good so far but I haven't installed a game yet. All utilities I use are fine so far.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 20 Sep 2009 04:41

Yup, the healthy disc (Windows 7 64 bit) arrived on Saturday and it installed without any glitch. Actually I had gone recently (again!) in order to prepare the PC for this change. So, as I had Vista 64, Windows 64 sat as an upgrade on the system, thus saving me reinstalling all the programs. It worked as if it was a Service Pack or something, nice. I've found it a bit strange at the beginning, particularly the taskbar and the icon placement on it. Just getting used to it. Running OK.

It seems, windows 7 is really not that much memory hungry as the Vista had been. (had been? already? :D )
I checked the task manager, while Vista was eating all my 4Gig RAM , now 2225Mb, half of what I have is still unused, although I have exactly the same programs and same settings. So far so good news, let's see. Knowing that it's aMS product there's bound to be something missed, lol. :D I hope not that significant, though.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 20 Sep 2009 06:33

Windows 7 has that Superbar and is nice once you get used to it.
so far on Windows 7 64bit................
Okay...decided to OC just a little. Cool&Quiet was on so it was running at 800mhz. Disabled that and went to 3.1ghz.
Could only find "CoreTemp" (a small temp software) that
works with both W7 and Phenom II. It shows 32c to 33c at
idle. No games yet...too tired. Fully disabled UAC and no prompts at all...nice. Rivatuner works to run my GPU fan at 70%. CPUZ installed and shows fine. Really like it so far.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 20 Sep 2009 18:06

Great news from you, as it seems. :thumbright: I'm doing quite alright as well, though I haven't entered any tweaking, at least not yet. Windows 7 is much better than Vista, in all aspects, that's for sure. Having said that, some Alarm users need to be cautious, as the current versions of ZoneAlarm do not support Windows 7. They are useless bunch of people, always coming the last in the industry. I downloaded the 30 days trial version of Kaspersky, and it started working smoothly as soon as I installed it.

I think Quads have found their natural home at Windows 7 64 bit, now mine is working faster, I don't even need to test. It copies gigabites of (same) files much faster than it was doing on Vista.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Nightwatch on 26 Sep 2009 14:16

A little follow up on this subject now, as the first copies of windows 7 have started to finding their places on our PCs, though mainly they are business users at this stage until 22th. of October 2009.

I'm one of those lucky ones who have started using the Windows 7. So far, at the end of first week of usage, it's got absolute top marks, particularly over VISTA which I had been using before.

My transition from VISTA 64 bit to WINDOWS 7 64 bit was, well, in correct words, very smooth indeed.

I did not even have to make a clean full installation, as I have VISTA before, and the Windows 7 version was the same version of VISTA that had been installed on my PC (Vista 64 to Windows 64 installation) , Microsoft's new OS Windows 7 installed on my computer just as an Service Pack would install. So smoothly, no flaws; though you should still expect a few hours of installation time, given the size of the new OS, and the initial programs that are running on your PC if you go to the "Upgrade" route. Mine took about 3 hours, but there were about 120 programs installed on my PC. I'd expect that the PCs which run fewer programs should finish this upgrade process much quicker.

Impressions

Windows 7 starts much quicker, while my Vista set up with hefty program load had been taking between 7-10 minutes to fully boot up and set all the services and programs, now Windows 7 is doing the same in around 3 minutes! That's what I call improvement! =D>

All software running much smoother. I have full Adobe Master suite CS4, among other things, and they run as if they've found the best track that they had been dreaming to run on.
The others also include the always problematic various MS software, say, at least, the Outlook for one. Running like a nice flowing river. Amazing. Microsoft? Really??

Natural Home for Quad CPUs

I have to stress that I'm using the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and this set up has proved to be the natural hom eof Quad based processors, at least on the Intel front I can say it with well considered opinon, which has been based on the evidence of "not running programs now running flawlessly and so smoothly" on Windows 7 64 bit.
One example is the STALKER PC game, which had got a total bottleneck on Quad CPU when running on a Vista 32/64 OS; but now it runs shockingly well on the very same Intel Quad CPU on Windows 7 64-bit.

GSC maybe can boast that they had seen the future and had optimized their Xray engine for the future Windows 7 64+Quad CPU combo. :mozilla_smile:
There's no delayed spawns anymore, everything pops up instantly, stuttering has completely gone (at least from practical point of view, you could still see the Xray breathing at each spawn instance, or the instance a new script starts to run, but not so noticeable anymore)

For the best STALKER (and in fact, with the addition of NEWSA+SIMBION_Tweak add-on) experience, go get a Windows 7 64 bit and a Quad PCU. Stunning results.

So far Windows 7 is not a sitting duck. It's very much in the air climbing up, to the surprise of many software analysts who had been quite cautious on what Microsoft could deliver after all those "promising" OS launches in the past, many of which ended up in tears. This one is not one of them, at least as it seems so far.

More results from the "real-time using" experiences will follow.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 27 Sep 2009 00:33

Glad it went well. I plan to upgrade to Win7 Pro 64bit as soon as it is available.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Sep 2009 14:13

Thanks. :mozilla_smile: I think you won't be disappointed when you've switched to Windows 7 -64bit.
Quads performing amazingly. :thumbright:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 27 Sep 2009 17:16

Microshit need to get their act together, so far with 2 pcs and 2 builds of Win 7 i still keep getting the fucking internet problem, where it just dies with limited connetivity, thousands of people have this problem, both wired and wireless, all in diffrent cirumstances, seems its hit and miss really, and theres still no fix, even though this issue is MONTHS old, Microshit will never get me to buy a new OS again, period, untill they can fix their shit up.
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Sep 2009 17:27

Strange! My Windows 64 bit works perfectly with internet, no problems whatsoever so far. In fact, previously I was having a lot of Network problems, partly because of the ZoneAlarm and the fact that we use more than one PC at home at times. Now, when a network problem occurs, (it happens) then you need to click on the network icon on your task bar and choose: "troubleshoot problems" then it checks everything in a few seconds and corrects the situation without having putting you in any problem.

such problems on people's PCs usually occur because of their own network problems. (and what are they using? Beta Windows 7? For it's not yet released! And not a all Internet/network software is compatible with yet with Windows 7)
They are not primarily an OS problem. Check your modem and your Firewall/AV software. They are the ones usually causing such problems. Cheap or free versions are more prone to causing such problems, considering even the very highly regarded Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm cause problems as well.
It is not XP, Vista, Windows 7 problems (in general) ; check your own Internet/modem/firewall settings, devices and software.

Edit: Many AV/Firewall companies have not released their windows 7 compatible programs yet, Kaspersky 2010 version is running quite smoothly at the moment. ZoneAlarm is waiting for the official Windows 7 release date (if anyone still believes them) for their Windows 7 compatible version.

As I've got business connections permits.. I can use windows 7 earlier than normal public release, it begs how can anyone not connected with any business relation use Windows 7 at this stage -not that I care even the slightest- but the fact is, cracks that use to crack the main Operating Software can do actually anything, trying to get to the internet aggressively and meanwhile a) syphoning your PC contents, or b) establishing an array of PCs in networks for (uncountable) reasons; this of course may lead to significant Network problems as well.

However, in your case, check that any of your Internet related software is fully compatible with Windows 7, though I suspect they are not quite as it seems on the market today.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 12 Nov 2009 02:56

I just upgraded to Win 7 Pro 64bit. Install went smooth, and I have had no problems so far. I will say that I have not noticed any speed increase yet. But that might be because my rig ran Vista very well.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Ultradad on 18 Dec 2009 21:10

Hello there =D>

I am loving windows 7 myself, i never moved to Vista fully. I tryed it for about a week then went back to windows xp :mozilla_frown: . I have had no problems with drivers and the programs i use. But my fave part is using rocketdock :mozilla_smile: . All my stuff is at the top of the screen and my desktop looks so much cleaner

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr127/Ultradad2008/rocketdock.jpg

The thing i liked the most was when i put it on my old pc it found all the drivers for it online and had it running perfect in 10 mins. Took me 2hrs to find the drivers for vista and it never worked very well. Gonna do the laptop next when i get a new charger fot it. I can recommend it to any long time xp user :-bd
Mobo: P35 DS4 r1.1 Bios 14
CPU: E6300@3.75 Ghz
Memory: OCZ Gold Edition 4GB @ 5,5,5,15
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Fatality and DR100 Headphones
Graphics Card : Asus 5770
Power Supply: Corsair 550 Modular
Case: Lian Li PC +3
Monitor: SyncMaster 226bw
O/S: Windows 7 64 Bit
Ultradad
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 19 Dec 2009 00:01

Dude, cool desktop! And unfortunately, when I make the upgrade... well the rocketdock won't exactly fit the stuff on my desktop... But I'll put as much as I can on there!
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 19 Dec 2009 02:22

There's no icon on my desktop. I've put all my icons that I would like to access without going to the "all programs" menu in a folder (actually it's folders inside the menu folder (like MS Office, Adobe folders, etc) then I named this folder QuickDial -you can name it as you like- and dropped it in My Documents folder. Then right clicked on the taskbar, chose "taskbar" --> "new taskbar" and pointed it to the "quickDial" in My documents. Now I have a small icon on my taskbar that says QuickDial, when I click on it, it opens a column of menu, all the icons there. Single click on any of them calls the program or opens a folder (like modding folder). Move the mouse pointer away, the lost goes away. Clean look. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Software Desk