64bit or 32bit

Re: 64bit or 32bit

Postby EggChen on 23 May 2009 15:31

I can only add that I have been running 64bit Vista for many months now (not sure exactly, but probably over 6).

Have not had any problems, althouth I had to wait for Zonealarm to release a 64bit compatible version. Even the SDK (so far) runs fine.

As we all know though, no two systems are the same, for NW it is clearly wise to stay on 32 bit. Unfortunately for the rest of you, it may be a gamble. You'll never know until you try, but that costs money. Damn hardware and software manufacturers....
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 23 May 2009 16:06

You're absolutely right, buddy.
Check the ZoneAlarm site, their last release (....Setup_80_298_035 ) is 64-bit compatible. I had installed it on 64bit, it had worked. I still use it on this 32 bit system. It's good here as well. But I can't know how it;ll function on your system, as you rightfully mentioned.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby nandersen on 23 May 2009 16:09

If you have a spare HDD you could try to install Windows 7 RC - it's free to use for quite some time and it would allow you to try out your applications in a 64-bit environment. Surely this will cost you a lot of spare time but you may find the experience rewarding.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 23 May 2009 16:14

nandersen wrote:If you have a spare HDD you could try to install Windows 7 RC - it's free to use for quite some time and it would allow you to try out your applications in a 64-bit environment. Surely this will cost you a lot of spare time but you may find the experience rewarding.

That's a very good idea. As soon as I've managed to master my fatigue and collect some breath after this failed 64-bit experince, I can just do that. I think Microsoft still offers Windows7 RC until some date in June.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby nandersen on 23 May 2009 16:41

Nightwatch wrote:I think Microsoft still offers Windows7 RC until some date in June.

Yup. But don't wait. Sign up, get your product key, download the .iso (get it from MS to be safe) and burn it. Then when you have the time it'll just be a matter of swapping disks and inserting the DVD. My installation was surprisingly fast and, unlike Vista, it ran fine with my SATA controller in AHCI mode. Seems that recent hardware is supported out of the box in Win7 this saves a lot of time after windows setup.

There's a couple of tools that I've found very useful in this context:
* Macrium Reflect Free: used to create backup disk images, it's very fast and works from Windows. Double clicking such image file will allow you to mount it as a virtual drive and explore its contents
* Acronis MigrateEasy: allows you to clone a Windows installation from one HDD to another. This is payware with a 30 day free trial period which is more than enough to clone your disk.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 23 May 2009 18:02

Thanks, really very good info. I'll download the Windows7 asap and get the key. Anyway, I'm getting another HDD to put the data files to mirror other. My ASUS mobo ofrfers a better way of RAID, I think it's called EZ backed, something. While doing this, I can use the current data disk to install windows7 additionally.

I'll get the Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis MigrateEasy, too. T :thumbright: hanks for the info.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 06 Sep 2009 02:40

Well, after using Vista 64bit for a little while now, I can say it has been no problem at all. With my new computer, everything loads very fast and I have had few software problems. I did have to give up Zone Alarm Free ( free version is 32bit only), but Comodo free is good also and supports 64bit. 64bit Gimp seems to work even better then the 32bit. MS Money does have a few glitches, but the math is still right! :thumbright: Other then that, I like it. Now, come on Win7 Pro!
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Sep 2009 16:53

Yup, after using it for some time, I can say: Windows 7 rocks, particularly the 64 bit.

(PS: Some older posts that were mainly about Windows 7 in general, rather than specific 32bit-64 bit discussion (including mine) have been moved to "Windows 7 -Same old duck or a new beginning" thread, (to the last page, in timely order)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=273&start=38)
:mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Software Desk