Small question

Re: Small question

Postby EggChen on 11 Dec 2008 22:16

AVG free and Windows Firewall....

I would use Zone Alarm if I could, the combo of Zone Alarm and AVG kept my old machine perfectly safe, and never cost a penny, couldn't fault them.

The latest version of AVG included some extra features that bloated it a bit, and slowed down web-browsing. I have these features disabled, striking a balance between safety and speed.
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Dec 2008 23:23

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Kaspersky 7.0 and as much as I understand a regular FW

OK, now your case starting to look like a non-compatibility issue between your AV and Firewall. What's the Firewall? Zonealarm? Zonealarm Free version?

Because, my Kasperky 2009 is locking the windows explorer beacuse of its problem with Zonealarm Pro. They are supposed to be able to exist together in these new versions, but as it seems, not so quite the case.

Therefore, thereis now a strong possibility that your Kaspersky is having some problems, clashing with your firewall.

If your firewall has Advanced Program Control, Application Interaction Control, Component Control, turn them off.
Before that, check that your Firewall and Kasperky should not have the control of the same things, such as, they both should not check email, for example.
I cannot give more example, because you didn't name your firewall, but would I be wrong by guessing it's Zonealarm Free version?
Kaspersky has some problems with firewalls, one extent or another. It's as if they try to force people to get the suit, insead of separate applications.

EggChen wrote:AVG free and Windows Firewall....

I would use Zone Alarm if I could, the combo of Zone Alarm and AVG kept my old machine perfectly safe, and never cost a penny, couldn't fault them.

The latest version of AVG included some extra features that bloated it a bit, and slowed down web-browsing. I have these features disabled, striking a balance between safety and speed.

Zone alarm is the obviuos best as far as the firewalls are concerned (in software based ones) (in fact Checkpoint, their parent company produces -arguably- the best commercial hardware Firewalls as well)

so you are (or had been until recently) happy with AVG? I heard that it's been giving a lot of false alerts. Then again, it's better having too many alerts (even though some of them turn out to be OK) than having fewer alerts but many virus infections. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 12 Dec 2008 13:22

I didn't see any aditional information, just windows firewall, nor did I see those ''Advanced Program Control, Application Interaction Control, Component Control''
Either i'm dum as a brick, or blind, or they really aren't there
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Dec 2008 00:10

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:I didn't see any aditional information, just windows firewall, nor did I see those ''Advanced Program Control, Application Interaction Control, Component Control''
Either i'm dum as a brick, or blind, or they really aren't there

No, you're not :) Windows firewall do not offer those, I was talking with the guess of that you might be using ZoneAlarm Free by any chance.
Yet, it may still be compatibility issue between Windows firewall and Kaspersky, thoug this tim ei'd give less probability to it as Kaspersky I think does OK with Windows firewall.
However, Windows firewall somehow might be blocking your access to your own files. I don't use windows firewall so I cannot say anything on that part.

You can try shutting the Windows Firewall and exiting the Kaspersky (of coursde, after disconnecting from internet during that period), uncheck Kaspersky "start with windows start" sort of box if you have it on 7.0, I have on 2009 version. Or just close all prptections one by one, then exit the Kaspersky and shut down Windows firewall. And then try right clicking on the .exe file. If still no access is given, then they are not the guilty parties, we'll think something else. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 15 Dec 2008 18:24

Heres the easy workaround for your spawn lag;

start -> run -> msconfig

In boot.ini go to advanced options and set /NUMPROC= to 1, then reboot. Naturally just replace the 1 with a 2 to re-enable your 2nd core.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 15 Dec 2008 18:37

For help DT, visit www.montanamenagerie.org There are tech experts there that will help diagnose and fix windows problems. I'm a mod there but really for Linux, not M$.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Previous

Return to Problems & Solutions