Problems

Problems

Postby Balious on 22 Nov 2008 14:21

Ok lately i have been having quite a few problems and funny enough the graphics card is not the cause.

First the problem with steam being one of the programs lots and lots of people (including me) hate. first the community page on steam didnt work just a white screen along with the updates and store. Then at a random time last night the whole steam website went down for me but everyone else seems to be able to get on it. When i tried it on the computer downstairs the website worked fine.

Another problem is Internet Explorer. This doesnt work at all. I can't get on anything with this and its just a blank screen.

Another one is the cmd thing you type in on run and type in ipconfig /all that didnt come up at all. Also my network places doesn't work either.

To the conclusion of this it had let to me to rebuild the computer as my dad thinks its windows corrupted somewhere. So me and my dad are going to rebuild it tomorrow if i can't fix these issues today.

So do any of you know how to fix this? Has any of you encountered something like this? I thought this was the best place to post it as its about hardware and software.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 22 Nov 2008 15:34

Your virus software not reporting anything? Sounds like you took a hit to me. Viruses go right for the registry and sounds like yours is fubarred. System Restore may help but viruses hide in there also.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Balious on 23 Nov 2008 20:39

Thanks for helping rockingmtranch.

From what i could tell from my anti-virus and other programs nothing was detected. So my compute was rebuilt and reinstalled windows. So far everything is smooth.

The only problem i really have is having to start every game again i had on the PC (long long list one of them being stalker)

But i guess its best to start fresh so i know what im doing.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 24 Nov 2008 02:34

Unfortunately, Windows really should be reinstalled on a freshly formatted hard drive every 6 months or so. We hate to but with careful planning (saved games), it's not too bad. And yes, it does run very well with a fresh install. Glad you're up and running again.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Return to Problems & Solutions