Annoying problem with games

Re: Annoying problem with games

Postby Balious on 06 Aug 2009 17:38

Thanks DooMike. Downloading it now will report back on if it fixes the problem. Although the problem is rarely happening to me right now.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 07 Aug 2009 17:58

Managed to have a game of Left 4 Dead with gamebooster on and it seemed to be working quite well. Only certain bits lagged but that just seemed to be due to lots of zombies then there normally are. But they not even minor issues.

Will try another game later just to see if it does fully fix it.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby DooMike on 08 Aug 2009 10:26

Glad to hear you seem to have a positive response from the ... thing.

Link removed on DooMike's request -Nightwatch

If your problem is infact "clutter-related" i suggest you get yourself a registry cleaner too, if you haven´t already got one. Plenty of free devices out there,
Link removed on DooMike's request -Nightwatch

Some games and mods stores vast amounts of prefetch data and other temp-files on your PC ( Wolfehunters Super Mod Pack stores almost 1 Gb ( prefetch data? ) on my PC faster than...greased lightning ), normally this isn´t a problem, but when one is experiencing degraded performance issues, it´s a good idea to start by tweaking the obvious and easy stuff first, before diving into serious system tweaks! ;)

Happy tweakings...
"Yossarian: Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying..." Catch 22
DooMike

Postby Balious on 11 Aug 2009 18:13

My problem has came back more annoying then ever. For Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI it crashed it once but most of the time it just stutters. It does quite alot for Stalker SOC. However amazing it hasn't done it once for Left 4 Dead.

I also have another problem but this has nothing to do with games and stuff. I hear a noise from the computer that sounds like its gonna blow up (quick description of what i think). I believe its one of the fans but im not 100% sure. Better turn the computer off just incase its getting louder :-ss

Edit:
Ignore the above part about the fan. Found out its just the power supply one catching and just need a new one.

Also found out my power supply is 530W.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby DooMike on 12 Aug 2009 11:36

Sorry to hear you´re not out of the woods yet...

I know it´s not what you want to hear, but maybe Audioave 10 hit the nail on the head with his post on page 1:

Your system may be struggling a bit to play.

"Memory: 1022MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS ( 256MB )
Operating System: Windows XP Professional"

I looked up Win XP and learnt that it "requires a minimum of 256MB mem and 512MB to run smoothly". Which means the OS probably automatically hogs somewhere around 512MB, when it detect that amount of RAM is availiable and that leaves just 512MB for "everything else".

I don´t know if it´s a qualified suggestion, but you could try and buy a cheap USB-stick with 4-8 GB RAM, to see if an extension of the page-file/virtual mem makes any difference. Generally it´s not a good idea to buy these cheap mem-sticks as they often corrupts easily ( avoid the "smarts" with moving parts, like the ones where you slide the connector out of the casing to plug it in ), but when it´s just to test if this low-tech cheap fix works for you, it´s probably okay.

Best of luck - and again sorry to hear that you didn´t find a fix to MY problem! :mozilla_wink:
"Yossarian: Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying..." Catch 22
DooMike

ATTENTION: GameBooster 1.21 infection!

Postby DooMike on 22 Aug 2009 23:28

AVG dicsovered a "threat" in GameBooster 1.21 after i updated today.

A file called "win32/induc" pops up as a threat. Now. If the file is removed, then GameBooster is useless.

Information on "win32/induc":

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Virus%3AWin32%2FInduc.A&ThreatID=-2147339668

The file is apparently only malicious if "Delphi" is installed on the computer. However, i´m not too enthusiastic about using a piece of software containing something labelled "potentially malicious", so i´ve removed GameBooster 1.21 and have reverted back to the uninfected GameBooster 1.0.

If a mod feels like removing the download link to the new GameBooster, a few posts back, then be my guest, as i cannot edit the post myself.
DooMike

Postby Balious on 23 Aug 2009 00:22

I also have version 1.21 and scanned it just in case with PC Tools. There was no virus to be found using it.

From past experiences with AVG I believe it thought it was a virus but isn't but I can't be too sure as my anti-virus may not of found it.

I keep the current version of gamebooster for now and report back if any viruses appear.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby DooMike on 23 Aug 2009 02:57

AVG sure cries wolf a lot, when encountering files it doesn´t recognize the use for. However, any file that attaches itself to a library and starts copying and spreading when certain terms are met, are surely a viral infection and is likely to be "undesireable".

I read up on Delphi. Anyone using products of that family, should probably avoid using GameBooster 1.21...

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_programming_language

I´m unsure whether i have any programmes on my PC that uses the Pascal programming language ( Skype does for instance ), so just to be on the safe side...
DooMike

Postby Balious on 23 Aug 2009 16:43

I see. Thanks for bring that up to me :thumbright:

After hear some advice from Jamie and Grunt I am now saving for this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =FS-180-OK

The only problem of course is I have no job or anything and only have about £90 saved. Hopefully in the near future I can buy it.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby DooMike on 23 Aug 2009 23:30

Everything would be so much easier if one had been born with a silver spoon up ones Ars...eniooo Hall! :-"

90 quid couldn´t buy you much of a PC here in DK either...

Didn´t want to jinx my luck, but i am now near completion of Priboi Story and i haven´t had a single BSoD, driving vehicles and all... so maybe they´re gone, FINALLY... :-J Only bad thing is that i don´t know exactly what tweak got me past this...hmm...

My best guess is that setting "snd_targets" to 16 instead of the default value of 32 in the user.ltx actually has done the trick. Probably in ( a fools luck- ) combination with some of the many other tweaks i´ve done. I asked in the GSC forums if a "unsupported" value entered there could trigger a crash, but so far no one has been able to answer this...
DooMike

Postby DooMike on 24 Aug 2009 23:53

FCUK!

Damn me, i jinxed it! :mozilla_frown: Argh!

Just had a BSoD, same as the others and i´m all out of ideas short of a BIOS reset.

Typical.

If i didn´t like stalker so much, i´d hate it!

Oh well...
DooMike

Postby Balious on 29 Aug 2009 17:22

I uninstalled the latest version of gamebooster and installed 1.2 and it came up with a virus for the exe file. Very strange :-? I removed it and trying 1.21 again.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 04 Sep 2009 12:37

I have now found another problem with a few games.

I first found out yesterday when I tried starting up Left 4 Dead. It just keeps popping up saying left4dead.exe error closed thing. I tried reinstalling it but it did not work. Then I tried reinstalling steam which also didn't work. Im sure its not steam at fault as my other steam games work such as dawn of war 2 and killing floor.

Later on I was bored so I thought I play sonic again but a big surprise happened when it doesnt work either. It just doesn't start up.

So I thought I may have a virus on my computer but my anti-virus has scanned it all but no signs of one.

I also tried other games and they seem to work fine: Other games I tried are Dynasty Warriors 6 and STALKER SOC.

Anyone know what it could be? My best guess may seem to be a virus but for Left 4 Dead I posted on the steam forums and found out a few other people seem to be getting the issue. Starting to look at the other scanners.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 04 Sep 2009 17:44

Balious wrote:I have now found another problem with a few games.

I first found out yesterday when I tried starting up Left 4 Dead. It just keeps popping up saying left4dead.exe error closed thing. I tried reinstalling it but it did not work. Then I tried reinstalling steam which also didn't work. Im sure its not steam at fault as my other steam games work such as dawn of war 2 and killing floor.

Later on I was bored so I thought I play sonic again but a big surprise happened when it doesnt work either. It just doesn't start up.

So I thought I may have a virus on my computer but my anti-virus has scanned it all but no signs of one.

I also tried other games and they seem to work fine: Other games I tried are Dynasty Warriors 6 and STALKER SOC.

Anyone know what it could be? My best guess may seem to be a virus but for Left 4 Dead I posted on the steam forums and found out a few other people seem to be getting the issue. Starting to look at the other scanners.

Sometimes that is caused by something else you recently installed.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Balious on 04 Sep 2009 18:12

Thanks for replying rock.

Things that I recently installed that I can think of is Super Antispyware but I installed this after to scan a few things.

The other is Zone Alarm. Dawn of War 2 I installed a few days ago before Zone Alarm but I am sure everything worked fine before it.

After allowing Left 4 Dead in zone alarm without it coming up it appears to of been fixed but I try this later after the defrag.

However the issue is still the same for sonic it doesn't work or anything. I can get the autorun menu thing up but thats all I can get.

If I uninstall Zone Alarm would the issues go away? I pretty sure its not Dow2 as it got uninstalled when I reinstalled steam.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 04 Sep 2009 19:10

It just seems like a software conflict. Have you tried compatibility mode? That probably won't help but, can't hurt to try. Do you run a registry cleaner? I personally don't trust any of those programs.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Grump642 on 06 Sep 2009 02:02

I had the same problem come up on someones computer not too long ago. Every time they tried to launch Oblivian, it would not start. I uninstalled it, manually cleaned out the leftover stuff, and then re-booted. Then I used CCleaner to clean the registry, re-installed, and it worked just fine. The key was re-booting after uninstalling the files.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 10 Sep 2009 16:26

Ok I tried reinstalling, used antivirus, anti-spyware and such. And did all the things you did but still doesn't work. I tried it on the other computer and still not working.

I thought it couldn't be the disk because I used a crack at the time so I wouldn't damage the disk and it had been working fine and then nothing. Tried with both the disk and without.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 10 Sep 2009 17:04

if it has installed rootkits (or similar) on your PC, which intentionally (even some game companies like to scare non-paying customers) or unintentionally -while trying to do a different kind of harm to your PC or your data- screwed up a lot of windows directories, then you may need to make a system recovery. However, you need to be sure that you've exhausted all the options as Grump642 suggested. I'd go along with Grump on this, I'd say go through the registry again carefully, or let someone who is more comfortable with it do the job.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Problems & Solutions