STALKER on Windows 8

General Topics -all inclusive- on Shadow of Chernobyl

STALKER on Windows 8

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Jun 2013 15:10

I am testing a Sony VAIO Laptop which, despite my continuing misgivings on the newest offering from Microsoft, comes with a 64-bit Windows 8 pre-installed. CPU i5, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics and also a Radeon HD 7650M Graphics Card installed.

Part of the testing process, in order to see how the games that we know function well on previous versions of Windows will do this time on Windows 8, I started installing some games.

Newer games were relatively alright, as expected. Then I starting going back in time little by little and when it came the Fallout 3 to show its performance on the new OS, Windows immediately raised a pop-up saying that the game had some compatibility issues on Win 8; but I nevertheless went ahead with installing it as we have experience with Windows that such prompts do not always reflect the practical reality. However, this time Windows apparently knew what it was talking about.

After this Fallout 3 disappointment on Windows 8, I had not been left with much optimism before starting to attempt installing the STALKER, as it was even an older game. WRONG! Installation went smoothly, no compatibility warning or else whatsoever.Then good old STALKER fired up on the screen. A quick set-up of various choices, usual things, this and that, and then the game starting to flow on in front of my eyes.

KUDOS to Original GSC (STALKER) developers, that they had so skilfully created a brilliant code so that the game has now managed to continue to live on the 3rd generation of Windows, and undoubtedly will outlive this one as well.

Now to another point. I have not continued too deep into the game (STALKER), therefore, although my experience so far has been rather very positive, I recognize that there still may be glitches to be witnessed along the line; and in that regard, I also heard from other sources that some (relatively small number of) gamers on the STEAM version of STALKER have had some problems when installing and playing on and off basis.

Hence, if anyone is playing the STALKER on Windows 8 and have had any issues with it, they may use this space to post their problems and/or their solutions to overcome those. If that would be the case, then we all can try to help STALKER to continue its journey comfortably on Windows 8 as well.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: STALKER on Windows 8

Postby ket on 09 Jul 2013 01:47

I wouldn't praise the original GSC devs quite so fast, remember those same devs released a game that was game-breakingly broken until around patch 1.0003, then they managed to do it again with CS :p
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Jul 2013 12:50

Hmm... That (mine) was true; this (yours) is true; and also some other points (that may be raised) are true, too. :mozilla_smile:

Unlike what some believe, (and as I think that you'd agree with me as well in this) there is not one and only truth! Truth may come in different faces, several outcomes and aspects of a same matter may all be true regardless to the fact that each separately may present positive and negative values deducted from the very same matter.

You are right of course, evidence points to that; but also some other aspects of the matter are true, too. As one would remember, I myself have made a lot of (constructive) criticism of their work over the last few years, too, but gave credit when and where it was due as well. My point in this multi-dimensional matter is that, which is of an anchor point, they were and are inherently very talented and innovative developers but they were not luck enough to receive the sufficient level of "that vital support" in terms of -mainly- finances which resulted in lack of manpower (more developers at various sections of the development process, including testing), and of course the time. It's more of a managerial issue, ensuring that you gain good contacts in business life. That's a difficult job, but it's true.

----------------------------------

PS: on the main subject of this topic, those who may have sound issues on Windows 8, should download and install OpenAL.

Home page:
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx

Downloads page;
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx

(choose Windows installer, current version: 2.0.7.0) for both 32 and 64 bit Windows
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby RubenBaldacci on 28 Jan 2015 15:54

Hello, I have the solution to the problem of STALKER saga with windows 8.
You must first install STALKER lost alfa. With this mod installed components also needed to spread the STALKER series in windows 8.
Install STALKER lost alfa and then you can install and run the rest will work well with windows 8 without any problems. :-bd
RubenBaldacci

Postby rockingmtranch on 13 Feb 2015 17:13

RubenBaldacci wrote:Hello, I have the solution to the problem of STALKER saga with windows 8.
You must first install STALKER lost alfa. With this mod installed components also needed to spread the STALKER series in windows 8.
Install STALKER lost alfa and then you can install and run the rest will work well with windows 8 without any problems. :-bd

Thanks for the tip :thumbright:
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Return to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl