What kind of stalker are you?

General Topics -all inclusive- on Shadow of Chernobyl

What kind of stalker are you?

Postby ket on 15 Sep 2008 19:00

Lets have it, tell us what kind of stalker you are. What weapons do you like to carry? Favoured armor? Tactics?
ket
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 15 Sep 2008 19:19

Even though alot of people like the faction wars...I would rather always
be alone. I don't like babysitting NPC's. Usually I try to work up to the best weapons (damage) and best armor (protection) whatever that may
be.
I guess I don't play nice with others. :twisted:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 15 Sep 2008 20:07

Well, I guess we are not talking vanilla here, so based on my own game I usually try and carry this little lot.

- Best assault rifle with grenade launcher I can lay my hands on.
- OT33, Glock or Mac10 for a fallback when there is no time to reload.
- Assault rifle grenades (no normal grenades, too heavy and short range).
- Medkits and bandages.
- One bottle of Vodka at all times (no antirad)
- Couple of Souls, Couple of Moonbeams, and a Crystal
- Skat 9M armour
- Ammo, naturally. Mostly for Assault rifle, with one clip of armour piercing for the pistol.
- Knife :twisted: for hunting dogs.

I prefer long range and mobile, rather than an Exo tank approach. So thats why the Moonbeams, keep my weight under about 35kg and I can run all day. As for the Vodka, well a nice chap by the name of Atrocious wrote a script for me. When you drink vodka, its condition drops 10%, so you get 10 shots... why? Well most food in my game (including mutant parts) has radiation, so everytime you eat, you neck some vodka afterwards.
EggChen

Postby fatrap on 15 Sep 2008 23:16

Most of the time just give me a shotty... I like it up-close-and-personal! I like a GL equipped weapon when I have to get somewhere fast.... and I use a sniper rifle when I feel like laying out in the sun and having a picnic.
But... if I could only carry one weapon it would have to be my Snork Sweeper. There just isn't anything like a 300 RPM fully auto 12 gauge.... especially when you feed it some of those 3" Magnums I put in the last version of my R&G Mod!! :D

My preferred style of playing?? Fast and furious! Run and gun 'til I drop.... if I don't get to feeling a little "car sick" after playing a couple of hours, I'm not playing hard enough! BTW... most of the folks that happen to watch over my shoulder when I'm playing usually get motion sickness within 15 minutes.... seriously!
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby DC- on 16 Sep 2008 00:41

I usually try to keep all my weapons up-to-date.
An assault rifle for pesky bandits, monoliths and mercs, a shotgun for the mutants and a good pistol in case I need to save ammo.
I'm usually the type of guy keeping his distance, taking of enemies with single shots from the AR or a vintorez sniper rifle. :)
Come over here, let's have a little chat...
DC-
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 16 Sep 2008 01:30

Some nice approaches there guys 8) my typical loadout;

ZM LR300 w\ silencer, scope, GL + ammo or a G36 with upgrades and ammo
P90 as my sidearm (its small enough in my TK mod plus I split 5.56mm ammo, AR has AP rounds, P90 std. rounds)
Sig P220 just in case ammo gets thin on the ground
VSS Vintorez
My special TK version of the SPAS12 for mutant sweep and to seet satisfying blood splatters due to my particle mods :D
Armour: "Streloks suit", "Skat 9M PSY", "Elite Exoskeleton", regular stalker suit or SEVA suit. One of those, as you may of guessed, the first 3 are TK exclusives ;)

For me everything else is OSP. My tactics? As I found a very unique way of implementing stealth that doesn't make NPCs "blind", my favorite approach is to wait till dark.... then stalk my victims :twisted:
ket
Senior Resident

Postby DC- on 16 Sep 2008 02:11

Oh, I forgot to say:

With every playthrough of SHOC I tried to mix it up and try new weapons. For example I stopped taking Strelok's fast firing AK47 because technically it's the best weapon available for some time. Except you get lucky and collect a groza from a dead guy. ;)
Instead I sometimes went with an abakan or even a normal AK47 so it's still possible to improve.
DC-
Senior Resident

Postby silverpower on 16 Sep 2008 05:36

Packrat, here. I have an awful habit of carrying everything I can get my hands on - this rapidly becomes unwieldy running AMK-A, though! :P

As for my preferred setup - SIG P220, G18C (the silver-slide model with the 33-round mag), a Stechkin APS or OTs-33, the Benelli, a random NATO rifle (AUGs and HK416s are currently getting most of my attention lately, but I've been known to carry the G36), the Kobra-equipped AKS-74u, and the VSS Vintorez. Of course, this means I don't have much room for ammo, so I spend ten minutes before a mish agonizing about what to take and what to leave behind.
KMFDM forward, the ultimate sound/And a message from Satan, if you turn it around
silverpower
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 16 Sep 2008 07:49

Well I prefer a AN and a ZM LR300 with a scope and a Vintar BC or a spas depending on location and situation. Since I'm kind of a packrat I use a slighly modified military suit that allows me to carry insane weights so ammo and med supplies aren't a broblem. Radiation and anomalies also aren't a broblem because I carry a newly formed artifact ''godstear'' that gets rid of rad, psy and anomaly affects and it also ads about 15% to bullet, impact, rupture and explosion defence. I know this bit of a cheating but how else do handle a shitload of mutants ( 10 blind dogs, 3 pseudos, 5 chimeras and 3 controllers) and monos at the same time. But mostly I prefer roaming, long range encounters (AN or ZM LR300 ) , and night raids ( Vintar BC) and some occasional mutant hunting ( spas ). And I usualy collect all unique stuff

Edit: typos
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 16 Sep 2008 20:17

LOL @ Silverpower being a packrat. I too am guilty of that. Even stuff I don't need I just can't help myself. I'll pick it up and stash it nearby. But not where anybody can get to it. MINE! MINE! MINE! LMAO
I usually play with only a couple weapons. Rare weapons that I 'tweak' because I've hunted before and I have military experience and by golly, when I shoot someone or something, I want them to know they've been shot! Plus, I run everywhere. Large skirmishes are great. It never bothers me to actually be chased off by a pack of dogs that is winning against me :-) I enjoy sniper the most but the nights aren't all that appealing. I like to see what is coming at me.

I guess that about covers it. STALKER RULES!!!!
[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/rockingmtranch/STALKER/ss_mac_06-04-07_10-16-40_l02_garbag.jpg[/img]
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby EggChen on 16 Sep 2008 23:47

Nice pic Mac, I witnessed something for the first time in Stalker yesterday.

I am having some crash problems in Red Forest so have been spending a lot of time there trying to work out the cause... anyway... Pseudogiant comes at me and I'm reloading... dumbass runs into a whirlygig, what a mess!!

Stalkers, dogs and boars yes, never seen a giant test his luck against a Whirly before, belive me it manages to pick his two-ton carscass up and spin it around just the same :shock: before showering me in Giant body parts :lol:
EggChen

Postby DC- on 17 Sep 2008 00:10

I wonder what happens if a poltergeist gets caught in a whirlgig anomaly... maybe the space time continuum rips? :shock:
DC-
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 17 Sep 2008 00:15

Not sure about a Poltergeist :P but nice Star Trek reference!!

I did also see a psy-dog get caught by one (did I mention I have virtually been living in the Red Forest?).

Anyway, it was not the parent, but one of the clones or whatever you want to call them. It just kind of got picked up a bit, stayed about a foot off the ground rather than going all the way up, and then disappeared like when you shoot one. No shower of blood from that spectre...
EggChen

Postby busetibi on 17 Sep 2008 09:44

I like to carry, Sniper VLA,Vintar BC,Threaded SPSA-14,Seva suit.
thats about it really, although I always try and carry explosive drums, (for my traps)
I'm a artifact hoarder, other than that I try to keep my weight down as much as possible so I can pack mass ammo (I'm a bit paranoid about running out of ammo), med kits and food are collected prior to doing missions/areas, I try to work out how much of each I will need and just carry that amount.
I try to suck in mutants when I'm around anomalies, when I'm fighting mass enemies I try to look for choke points and lead them to it to make my job easier.
I love fighting at night, and have the times hard wired into my brain when certain artifacts will spawn.
I use a combination of stealth and ramboing and try to work out novel ways to kill things, just to make it more interesting.
I sometimes do areas/maps with just one weapon and the knife and if I die whilst doing the level I'll go back to the start of the level and only exit it when I've done it without dying.
I enjoy laying traps :twisted: the more complex the better, then sitting back and seeing if it works, then start over and refine it till I get it right.
yea 'bout it really,
I love my FPS games, being playing them for so long I can't remember when I first started :P
busetibi
Senior Resident

Postby DC- on 17 Sep 2008 13:09

EggChen wrote:I did also see a psy-dog get caught by one (did I mention I have virtually been living in the Red Forest?).

It's quite funny, I know every level in stalker so well (except the NPP, I never bothered playing it after I tried it once) because I collected all smart terrain coordinates for aliVe 1.5.
But the psy dog is still a mystery.
When I was on my very first playthrough and I reached the red forest, I of course went into that fenced off area to explore. Suddenly I get attacked from behind and there's this grey pseudodog thing. Every time I kill it and start walking again, a new one attacks from behind. I was so creeped out, sweat was running down my face. :D
Can't remember if I've ever seen the actual psy dog, I believe I quit before I had a chance.
There's another psy dog inside the pripyat all.spawn but it doesn't seem to spawn, I've never seen it even though I went to its coordinates.
Maybe one day I'll return on my quest for finding this terrible creature. :D
DC-
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 17 Sep 2008 15:18

I've seen some funny stuff in stalker, especially while developing my TK1.1 mod. Now enemies run away and stuff (either because their cowards or I threw a nade just close enough to make them think "shit! LEG IT!") I've seen very comical things like them running right into whirly... left quite the mess as 3 bandits happen to run into it :P I've also seen other very funny things like Monolith NPCs be "stuck" before.. you can walk right up to them and stare them in the face and they fritz out more wildly half spinning both ways. An ideal time to put them out of the spasticated mistery with a well placed knife gouge to the face :twisted:
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 17 Sep 2008 20:46

Funny things can happen, once when I was messing around a bit I did something that can't remember now but the AI got a bit buged.I walked into the army outpost in gordon and basicly headshoted almost all of the pricks there with that pathetic peashooter. Right after that i got a fatal error and had to do a reinstall
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 17 Sep 2008 20:58

DC- wrote:Maybe one day I'll return on my quest for finding this terrible creature. :D

Well, its probably good you didn't find him in the early patches, killing him caused a CTD! The way I find the real chap is to keep pushing towards where the fake dogs are coming from. Eventually you will see one dog that does not head straight for you, and you just know he is the one you need to take down.

Sixth sense or not, I always just know "its that little effer!" when I see him.

He doesn't dissapear when shot, so you'll know if you got the daddy :wink:
EggChen

Postby fatrap on 17 Sep 2008 22:59

BTW.... since y'all is talking about PsyDogs, in my latest mod I put them in each underground level... if you think that they are creepy in the Red Forest, you ought to try them out in those dark underground levels! They are a real hoot! :D
fatrap
Senior Resident

Next

Return to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl