Clear Sky...Initial thoughts?

General Topics -all inclusive- on Clear Sky

Re: Clear Sky...Initial thoughts?

Postby nandersen on 09 Mar 2009 06:53

fiznerpin1962 wrote:nothing like the striving to make the money to buy the kick-ass muzzle break or that sweet set of NV goggles. You can also turn an assault rifle into a "long Tom", or turn a shottie into a real lead thrower. Many, many possibilities....

And the cool part is that money alone won't do much good - you have to find the upgrade specs first ;)

NatVac's Artifact Swap minomod uses a principle not entirely unlike these upgrades.
"They shoot and I run and I spill my drink - all over my uniform..."
My files for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: http://zhat.dk/stalker/
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby nandersen on 10 Mar 2009 13:12

By the way, the name Lebedev? Is this also a (not so) hidden Deus Ex reference? I belive that this was the name of the resistence leader...
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby fiznerpin1962 on 10 Mar 2009 15:49

nandersen wrote:By the way, the name Lebedev? Is this also a (not so) hidden Deus Ex reference? I belive that this was the name of the resistence leader...

I think so. Funny what kind of influence an old classic can have! By the way, remember the System Shock series? :-?
Tula, Russia - home of the real S.T.A.L.K.E.R. weapons.....
fiznerpin1962
Senior Resident

Postby NatVac on 10 Mar 2009 21:56

nandersen wrote:By the way, the name Lebedev? Is this also a (not so) hidden Deus Ex reference? I belive that this was the name of the resistence leader...

And there's other throwaways in names and comments, too, from images I've seen. I don't remember one guy's name, but it was something like "Boris Badinov" in tone. Some English translator has a sense of humor...

I think the upgrades in CS rely on info_portions. In SoC, the only upgrades were the attachable items. To duplicate improved accuracy or change firing characteristics like recoil, you have to swap the weapon for another one.

fiznerpin1962 wrote:Funny what kind of influence an old classic can have! By the way, remember the System Shock series? :-?

I do, somewhat. I've not had the time to finish the second game, stopping when I couldn't get it to run on XP, I think. P.S. Hi, yourself, fiznerpin1962!

I like these homages to earlier games. I'm thinking of starting a topic in the SoC section about this.

Man, I'm not recommending "going without sleep" as a lifestyle...
NatVac
Resident

Postby audioave10 on 17 Mar 2009 01:33

Some of the nagging radio calls and other things with Clear Sky are
gradually being modded out. I've tried quite a few different mods
and found many improvements. Still some work to be done.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby nandersen on 17 Mar 2009 07:40

audioave10 wrote:Some of the nagging radio calls and other things with Clear Sky are
gradually being modded out. I've tried quite a few different mods
and found many improvements. Still some work to be done.

Yes, the radio calls are bad for immersion.
I think that the game is a bit about choosing which calls you respond to - my impression is that the devs wanted the player to fail some auto-missions by choosing others. Anyway, if you follow the storyline you'll fail at least one task before you get to Army Warehouses.
I think that my next playthrough I'll simply ignore some of the auto-tasks and let them fail. There's plenty to do for a merc anyway.
Now I'm probably pulling another toggle switch guard of NatVacs by saying this: you can get multiple stashes from the same body in CS like in SoC - so this is apparently not a bug but a feature. I'm assuming that no development team would be stupid enough to leave it in if it's a well-known bug :P
nandersen
Senior Resident

Postby NatVac on 17 Mar 2009 08:13

nandersen wrote:Now I'm probably pulling another toggle switch guard of NatVacs by saying this: you can get multiple stashes from the same body in CS like in SoC - so this is apparently not a bug but a feature.

Oh, it can be both a feature and a bug. While folks argue this point for the healing/repairing of health/armor when your artifact protection exceeds 100%, it's silly that you get multiple secrets over time from a body, without any corresponding excuse (e.g., additional decryption of PDA contents over time).

I'm assuming that no development team would be stupid enough to leave it in if it's a well-known bug :P

I'm not sure. But my current impression is that the original STALKER development team is now over at 4A Games (site is Flash-based; I can't tell you the contents). Consider that the next GSC STALKER PC game will be on a different engine, one they can buy, while 4A Games' Metro 2033 will be on a variant of the X-ray engine.

So it's possible that a dev team would leave in a bug if it wasn't there to fix it. :P The ones that remain are probably swamped with putting out fires, if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor.
NatVac
Resident

Postby fiznerpin1962 on 17 Mar 2009 15:46

NatVac wrote:
So it's possible that a dev team would leave in a bug if it wasn't there to fix it. :P The ones that remain are probably swamped with putting out fires, if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor.

As long as it's "shaken - not stirred"

=))
Tula, Russia - home of the real S.T.A.L.K.E.R. weapons.....
fiznerpin1962
Senior Resident

Previous

Return to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky