Put reins on them AV programs...

Put reins on them AV programs...

Postby MeanderingBeing on 17 Jan 2010 11:24

I am looking for some kind of setting or program that will let me switch from "game mode" (where they are off and not eating up system resources) and "online mode" (where they are on... obviously). The only reason I speak of this is because, well... I have six anti-virus programs running all the time, and it really chews up my computer. Certain AV programs like Avira and Avast cannot be shutdown at all, (which ironically enough, happen to eat up the most resources) which is even more obnoxious than hitting your head on the corner of a cupboard door. I want to be able to shut them down while playing games, damnit!

Honestly though, I just want SOMETHING where I can click or do or hit a hotkey like ALT+F11 that'll let me switch between different "modes." MY preferred profile would be ZoneAlarm and SuperAntiSpyware running while playing games, and AVAST Avira and Zonealarm running while cruising the net. Then I can just open Easy SpyRemover whenever I need to...

Anyways, does anyone know of anything to this extent?
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Re: Put reins on them AV programs...

Postby Balious on 17 Jan 2010 13:20

Why do you have six running? :mozilla_surprised: I thought having more then one on would cause problems with each other.

Anyway I think Gamebooster does something similar to what you want. It can stop un-needed things while gaming along with asking if you wanna stop AVs or Firewalls. You can just deactive and activate it to have different things up. Not sure if everything on the asking list will have what you want.

EDIT:
My brain went dead as I was posting. Be careful with Gamebooster. Some anti-viruses say theres a virus in it but my Avira so far hasn't picked up anything.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 18 Jan 2010 04:31

Thanks, Balious! Reading this thread led me to installing Game Booster. I didn't even know it existed. While I often exit programs and manually kill processes, Game Booster makes it simple. It stops more processes than I knew were safe, I get about 15% better FPS when in game mode, and things sure look stable and "normal" in normal mode. Kewl! :-bd
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 18 Jan 2010 19:39

No problem. I was actually told about it on these forums as well by DooMike in my annoying problem with games thread.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 18 Jan 2010 20:41

Anti-virus programs are deeply embedded and see another AV program as a virus. You should only have One installed if you don't want problems. I don't even use
them anymore...I just use Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. I never need a Gamebooster type program because I've already tweaked my processes running in the
background. Gamebooster may still help you if you have alot running in the background.
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 19 Jan 2010 00:09

audioave10,

If you have a dedicated gaming rig, disabling services is pretty straightforward.

But if it's multipurpose, you normally don't need (for instance) the Windows HTTP SSL service running during gaming but it can be essential when surfing the web when not gaming.

It's a pain to use the CP in windows to disable/enable services like HTTP SSL, but a program like Game Booster makes doing the deed a one-click operation. Meaning, it's useful IMHO for even a tweaked multi-purpose system.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 19 Jan 2010 07:14

Haven't actually had any problems with AV software conflicts...

I got Super AntiSpy (Amazing little program. Uses even LESS mem than foobar2000)
Avira (Which I just got rid of, cause I get pop-ups while playing games "BUY AVIRA ULTIMATE" or whatever. fucking obnoxious)
Avast, which is probably my fav of them all, but it is not perfect.
Zonealarm
MalwareBytes
And Easy SpyRemover...

They all recognize each other, and I have not had any conflicts. But avira just kills my computer. Eats more resources than steam, it seems.

I was actually told by my pops (used to be a computer engineer for air-force) that I should always have a firewall as well as at least 2 AV scanners. He is the one who suggested my current set-up. And truth be told, I'll scan with avast, pick up one or two viruses... then run super and get a few more, then avira with a few more... etc. He told me each program is better at getting rid of different things. Hence the 6 AV programs.

Honestly though, I do not like the idea of Game Booster being seen as a virus. Plus, my AV programs are all set up with self-defense modules. Not even windows task manager can shut them down. (ZoneAlarm and Avast both have an exit option which is cool with me... Avira on the other hand... ugh, I am glad I got rid of that POS.)
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 19 Jan 2010 12:29

Very strange. Avira doesn't eat up my computer but I do get the pop-ups and it really rare happens in games.
Avast out of that list I believe is my least fave out of it. It just drains my computer nearly as much as AVG does.
ZoneAlarm is my current firewall.

I had always been told that having more than one anti virus was always bad for the reason audioave has said. I also think they dont work up to 100% but thats just me.

I believe gamebooster only showed up as a virus for myself with AVG. But not all versions seem to have a virus. I hope you find a way to find what you want :mozilla_smile:
Not even Task Manager can close them? :mozilla_surprised: never seen that happen before.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 20 Jan 2010 01:25

Try surfing the web with Ubuntu (live CD works well if you don't want to install it) and free your Windows of all the crap.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby audioave10 on 20 Jan 2010 06:04

My machine is a dedicated gamer for sure so I just use Windows Firewall/Malwarebytes only. Haven't used Zone Alarm for more than 2 years and haven't had an
AntiVirus program for a year. I am careful where I surf...but I've had no problems. When I format, I set background programs to the 19 or 20 I need and forget it.
E8500 @ 3.8ghz every day
4gb RAM
GTX 260 (216) 896MB
WD 320gb "Black"
Gigabyte P45 mobo
VERY fast dual-core gamer with/ XP SP3
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 20 Jan 2010 07:01

Well, I'm an information whore. When I am on the web, me and my computer process so much information... I'm always searching weird obscure stuff, 10 tabs at a time... Practice safe surfing, wear 4 AVs. :P

On another note, I;m finally saying goodbye to XP. I am joining the ranks of 7 and upgrading my AV software... 64 bit glory of using more than 3g RAM here I come!

On another note... What's ubunto?
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 20 Jan 2010 15:38

Ubuntu is an OS: http://www.ubuntu.com
I ran a pc for three weeks off the live CD just to see if I could.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby 3040Krag on 20 Jan 2010 23:13

lol, ubuntu (or most any Linux distro) will take a 3-generations old rig and make you think it's current gen. Sadly, no one has ever come up with a decent way to reliably install any arbitrary PC game onto it, though many PC games are run successfully. A Linux rig is simply a heavyweight engine that uses resources like a lightweight engine. It would be the perfect dedicated gaming rig if only you could install PC games onto it simply and easily.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 21 Jan 2010 06:14

Oh, so its linux... ok. I used to have a linux box back in... '98? Unfortunately, I don't know a thing when it comes to building a linux box or put games one 'em... One of these days though... Question: Do games not work on linux because it doesn't support the renderers, like Direct3D or OpenGL? Or is there another reason for this?
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 21 Jan 2010 18:13

Linux has OpenGL, so a graphics interface is not an issue. The issue is that games address the hardware through MS Windows system calls. To "talk" with a mouse, for instance, the game makes a connection with a MS Windows-specific mouse interface. The same for CPU, GPU, memory, display, etc etc etc. Also, MS made a big push for game developers to use DirectX. That's proprietary code and MS won't be releasing it any time soon. Only a few games use GL.

Some games have been ported to Linux (Doom, for instance) but unless the vendor releases the source code this cannot happen.

There have been attempts to provide DOS and Windows "emulations" that can handle a software request from a Microsoft platform game or other software. One such project for Linux, WINE, works but can require a lot of effort and intimate knowledge of both Windows and the game to successfully "install" a game. A company called CodeWeavers took the free WINE source and provide a pay-for package called "Cross Over Games" that makes the process easier for supported games, but their list currently includes 205 games out of the thousands available for Windows. Nice, but not a final solution. Both WINE and Code Weavers have been at this for several years and no earth-shattering breakthrough seems to be forthcoming.

Some native Linux games are available, but nothing in the mainstream. Or, a multi-player game server is available but not the end-user version. The fact that Linux can be had for the price of a download, is a highly efficient and powerful windowed computing environment, and is under continued and active development makes it attractive as a gaming platform. The fact it's difficult to impossible to run Windows games on it shoots that dream down faster than a NEWSA shotgun!
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 21 Jan 2010 20:51

You don't have to "build a box" Meandering.....just download the ISO image, burn it to disc (or flash drive) and boot from it. Now your running, surfing the web or whatever else you need do and no changes are made to your pc. Just restart back into Windows.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby 3040Krag on 21 Jan 2010 21:39

A bootable CD is great for on-the-go or getting a taste of an OS, but I find myself getting impatient when waiting for an app to load when it's running off a bootable CD.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 22 Jan 2010 07:34

You may be surprised at the speed of the newest version.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby 3040Krag on 22 Jan 2010 18:15

Maybe, but I'm the type who gets impatient waiting on a SATA or PATA disk load. 8-[
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Return to Software Desk