METRO 2033

Discussions, News, Questions

Re: METRO 2033

Postby audioave10 on 31 Mar 2010 07:03

Yea...I know where you are coming from. I don't condone it either. These inside money games are always being played out and ethical or not, I think ATI should
play them too. Optimised for Nvidia can also be optimised for ATI. Its not all negative as Nvidia provides testing PC's to the developer and then works on driver
support. Why can't ATI do that part too?
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 31 Mar 2010 08:54

I also have an ATI card and have ran into no problems apart from starting the game up which was solved strangely by installing something from Nvidia.

I managed to fight some bandits before turning it off and noticed a slight problem with the AI. I made some noise they came to check on what made the noise. Not even going to the area I made the noise they said it was nothing and head back. Thinking their AI was crap I decided to play knifeman and boy did I make the wrong mistake. After killing the first person to investigate my noise of walking on stuff I ended up in a big shootout and I pretty much lost.

I understand where you guys are coming from but this game just feels great to me and feel as a must buy.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 01 Apr 2010 06:57

audioave10 wrote:Grump...because you have a "big" ATI card, I think you could still play it fine. I am concerned about some real dumb AI problems that many are talking about. It's
as if THQ rushed them to finish (again). Enemy soldiers staying with their back to you after you turn on a light or make a noise etc.
Mea...how have you seen the AI so far?

Beat the game twice so far on the hardest difficulty... so I would think so :P
It seems those problems start to go away on the higher difficulties... my only complaint is the AI's horrible aim. We'll be shooting at each other at the same time, with the same weapon... and I'll always kill em... THAT is the big disappointment. Honestly though, I've had no problem with AI awareness... I walk into a tin can or pile of glass, and I soon find myself getting ganked by a bunch of bandits. Actually... come to think of it, there was ONE occasion where the AI was being weird: I had ambushed a couple of reds on the bridge map. I was having some trouble fighting them long range, so I switched to my shotgun and charged them. I ran past the first guy, and gunned down the dudes behind him, then I turned around to shoot the first guy and he's still hiding in cover staring at where I had just ran from. I simply ran up to him again, and put a bayonet in the back of his neck. It was odd, but it was the only time anything like that happened so I ignored it.

As far as monster AI though... they're pretty damn smart. The lurkers are the WORST. I absolutely hated those little turds. Librarians are easy bait for sticky grenades and bayonets, lurkers are just pure evil. One sees you, it runs away and disappears... next thing you know, you got 5 of the turds ripping out your spine. And if you try to run away, they will chase you to the ends of the earth.
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 01 Apr 2010 16:21

Good info guys and even with a few AI quirks, I'll eventually restart my Steam account so I can get this game. I've already seen it at a $39.99 price once.
Linear as hell...but everyone likes the ride.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 01 Apr 2010 19:58

It may be linear, but it is also non-linear in a non-stalker sense. Every little thing you do in the game affects the ending... Things as simple as taking someone else's ammo, or smoking a hookah affect the outcome. But no matter what you do, you play the same levels... Well... Correction... You play MOST of the same levels. Same journey, different destinations :P
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 05 Apr 2010 16:37

Found those bitches creatures. Damn they sure cause problems.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Apr 2010 16:05

Do you really need a Steam account account to be able to play this game, even if you buy the game from a shop, not from Steam?
Does Steam also manage your installation and and access to your folders, or PC in general?
Do you really stay connected to Steam servers while playing the single-player game?

These are the question that I've come across but not quite seen any proper answers given in over other game sites?
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 06 Apr 2010 16:17

Do you really need a Steam account account to be able to play this game, even if you buy the game from a shop, not from Steam?

Yes you do as far as I've seen.

Does Steam also manage your installation and and access to your folders, or PC in general?

It only controls your steam installations and games that are installed via or with steam, nothing else, nothing more.

Do you really stay connected to Steam servers while playing the single-player game?

You do not have to be, but you can if you wish, although most games will allow you to play with steam in Offline mode.

These are the question that I've come across but not quite seen any proper answers given in over other game sites?
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 06 Apr 2010 17:01

Thanks to my Technician...I have a non-Steam version.
8-[
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 06 Apr 2010 17:07

I also have a *cough* Non-steam version. :-"
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Apr 2010 21:19

Thanks Jamie, well detailed answers! :thumbright: I somehow couldn't warm up to Steam, mainly that I find it a bit too intrusive and don't see actually any reason why I should trust it more than I would in K-Mart or Sainsbury's, which they are even bigger companies but I don't let them mess around my PC!

So I'll do some browsing around and find a good techician as well to run my own game as and when I like it. :mozilla_smile: Well, that's the result of over-zealous DRM pursuits, if you try to sit on someone like a Sumo wrestler, well, then they run away, don't they? :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 06 Apr 2010 22:09

I found a new spark in my story writing since Metro 2033 came out. After playing through most of the game along with knowing STALKER and enjoying that I have a new love and combined them both to make a truly new story with a new currency on its own.

Anyway back to discussion on the game. On chapter 3 or 4 and I just snuck on a cart full of Russian soldiers that are heading into battle against the Nazis. Thats right I a lone man must sneak through what looks like is going to be a battle of Soviet against the Reich. I wonder if this level will have them fighting or not.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 08 Apr 2010 18:49

Balious wrote:I found a new spark in my story writing since Metro 2033 came out. After playing through most of the game along with knowing STALKER and enjoying that I have a new love and combined them both to make a truly new story with a new currency on its own.

Anyway back to discussion on the game. On chapter 3 or 4 and I just snuck on a cart full of Russian soldiers that are heading into battle against the Nazis. Thats right I a lone man must sneak through what looks like is going to be a battle of Soviet against the Reich. I wonder if this level will have them fighting or not.

When you're on that cart, you should look right in front of you... there are 2 books lying right in front of your face.... Metro 2033 and Roadside Picnic...
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Balious on 08 Apr 2010 20:07

MeanderingBeing wrote:
Balious wrote:I found a new spark in my story writing since Metro 2033 came out. After playing through most of the game along with knowing STALKER and enjoying that I have a new love and combined them both to make a truly new story with a new currency on its own.

When you're on that cart, you should look right in front of you... there are 2 books lying right in front of your face.... Metro 2033 and Roadside Picnic...

I knew the books were in the game somewhere on the level just before you leave but wasn't sure quite where. I have a look to see them when I replay that mission :D
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 07 Jun 2010 06:14

I have a casual game style with Stalker even on Hell difficulty. With 2033, I get my ass kicked too much. This game is too linear for me and boy does it
look good on my PC. Way too much hand-holding.
I'm a little frustrated with it considering its potential.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 07 Jun 2010 12:42

Agree. Also, it's too short. For an epic game, it's epic fail is it ends too soon.

BTW, there are several places where the book Metro 2033 can be seen. The library is another.

Anyone find the hookah and get stoned? (look in the bandit camp =)) )
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 08 Jun 2010 01:03

3040Krag wrote:Agree. Also, it's too short. For an epic game, it's epic fail is it ends too soon.

BTW, there are several places where the book Metro 2033 can be seen. The library is another.

Anyone find the hookah and get stoned? (look in the bandit camp =)) )

The hookah, funnily enough, is the key to getting the alternate ending....
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 10 Jun 2010 05:32

I'm in need of finding the NON-alternative ending! Too many "moral" points!
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby MeanderingBeing on 14 Jun 2010 06:38

Just be a dick and shoot everything you can!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

PreviousNext

Return to All PC Games