Hardware Habit

Re: Hardware Habit

Postby audioave10 on 08 Jun 2010 06:24

I am a hobbyist & a collector and bought something rare and of truly HIGH quality. Price means nothing here. You guys are talking about membrane keyboards.
This is a mechanical keyswitch keyboard. Logitek makes not one single quality keyboard but that doesn't mean they are bad...they are simply throwaways
(eventually). You would never need to throw this one away for ANY reason. I don't think any painting in the world is worth a million dollars either, but I don't
hassle someone else who does think that way. Your keyboard is only $10 for a reason. You will drink enough alcohol in a month or two and easily make up the difference in price. I don't drink. So you see, its easy to critisize someone who thinks differently. Its amazing the amount of disrespect that goes on when your
not speaking to someone's face. If you think I wasted money...look at yourself first please. This thread is for enthusiasts.
Enthusiast..."a person filled with enthusiasm: as a : one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit <a sports car enthusiast> "

Electronics are made in Asia because of cost-savings and cheap labor. Quality has very little to do with it. If it wasn't for petroleum based plastics invented in
the US, there would be no industry in the Orient. The US has the largest invention patent office in the world for a reason.

Back to the keyboard: your hands are on it continually as the input device. Some would say it and the monitor are the most important pieces of hardware. If you
have never tried a mechanical keyboard you don't know what you're missing. A little more expensive, but the Logitek Illuminated I've got only took me 3 weeks to
pop off one of the keys. You would never need to get the one I bought to try it.
Grump...I almost forgot your question. That power strip is just far enough back that I don't bump it.

Here is a good thread about mechanical keyboards...
http://www.overclock.net/computer-perip ... guide.html
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 08 Jun 2010 15:43

Sorry, but nobody was bashing you just giving their opinion. If anything, I'd say your tone insults others. Enthusiasts are people who pick their hardware wisely, based on a price>performance ratio. Enthusiasts are the ones who are meant to be capable of discerning good from bad and making the sensible choice. One more recent example is a HD5830 vs HD5850, pricewise theres not much between them but the 5850 is by far the better choice with significantly better performance for very little extra compared to the 5830, which more often than not has performance which is comparable to a 5770, which can literally be had for half the price of a 5830. Just owning some of the most / the most expensive hardware available alone doesn't make anyone a enthusiast. The knowledge does that. So its the classic no-brainer scenario, buy a product thats say £30 and will last 5, 7, or 10 years under normal conditions, or buy a product that does the exact same thing, will last the same amount of time under normal conditions, but costs £100. The enthusiast chooses the former, the average joe picks the latter pending some idiotic store clerk's sales pitch.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 08 Jun 2010 18:39

Well, I think, and if I haven't read wrongly, Dave emphasizes here "the characteristics of Hobbyist and a collector;" and in that sense he says that money is of no importance for that pursuit -as long as you can afford what you pursue as well.

Well, both sides of the arguments have valid points within their contexts, but the thing is while answering to Dave, it seems the discussion had moved away.

There are people who cherish wine and ready to pay a good deal of money while cutting from all sorts of other entertainments which some others may indeed find more important for themselves than drinking very high quality wine. Who is to judge here on who is right or wrong? :mozilla_smile: This is a matter of tastes and passions.

While, on the other hand, many people look at their PC builds just as some tools to allow them get by and along with their jobs/PC-based entertainments as manageable as possible, in both price-performance equation, while some others have a "passion" on their machines and they like the most unique and top of range things. I fully understand this, for example, if I can afford it, I'd like to get a new TESLA Computer, though I know that I would not at all need that much of a power. :D

One thing is certain though, mechanical keyboards are non-beatable in endurance and the quality of the writing that's experienced on them. Old IBM mechanical keyboards are still functioning in many government departments after about 30 years of beating they have been getting.
I would like to get a "Das Keyboard" (those don't know it may wish to make a google search) and planning to get one soon, I just found them a bit too noisy for creative work, and I believe the manufacturers will reduce its somewhat artificially increased noise.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 09 Jun 2010 00:33

Nightwatch, you make some good points. But I think you are more like Dave and I. I don't need a 4Ghz I7, or a 5870, or a $380 SSD for a boot drive. But I WANT them. I want the best for my rig. When I spec out a rig for someone else, I worry about price/performance. Not for my rig. When you mod, you don't HAVE to make the biggest, baddest mod, but you WANT to.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby audioave10 on 09 Jun 2010 04:33

I did not look for something expensive and I never talk to anyone who sells anything PC related retail. Ket calls me an average Joe and says I'm the one who is offensive? As usual, its always about Ket. Such arrogance! This thread and my involvement with this forum is over. I'm through with this young (censured) - NW
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 09 Jun 2010 15:01

I fail to see how explaining the difference between your Average PC user, such as myself and an Enthusiast like Dave etc. I honestly think that just leaving the forum is a bit drastic. We were just merely explaining and expressing our Points of view upon your purchase. Personally, I think it would be best if we all just forgot this, made up and just moved on without any hard feelings.

I myself will admit dave can be a bit.....well a bit of a pain. (love ya really bro) but I honestly say that it didn't seem like a personal stab at your, more over just a little bit of advice or such. Maybe it's just me?
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 09 Jun 2010 15:55

I read this thread twice now, again, and I think there is an element of miscommunication here. It's true that this thread is about "High-Quality, Rare, Collectable" pieces of Hardware that awakens excitement in people who are passionate about finding and obtaining (or at least wishing to obtain) such hardware, but the "nature of the thread" somehow has not been well described in the title, so some members inevitably found themselves advising on general "common-sense buying guide."

So, I think the title needs to changed, but before taking liberty of doing so, I'd like that audioave10 should propose a title within the range of " Hardware Passion," or "Elite Hardware", or sort of titles, so that the nature of the thread will be more obvious and it will remain confined with discussions on such items.
It's like going after (or dreaming to get one) Ferrari or Bugatti. Immensely well-made cars that evoke deep passions, while at the same time everyone knows (even those who buy Ferrari and Bugatti) a BMW or Merc, or a Mustang (I love them, particularly 1960s) or in fact a Japan made family car would equally do fine in "real life conditions," but... c'mon guys, this is Ferrari after all. well, that sort of thing.

We need to define the title of the thread better, so that discussions should not mix with each other.

But, Dave, , in regard to one's character, you are one of the most mature persons whom anyone can possibly know and I'm sure everyone admires, loves and respects you... that's beyond a question. C'mon buddy, you are above such things. We all get angry sometimes (tell me about it, me, too :mozilla_smile: ) but maybe this is just another part of the fun in life. :D
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 10 Jun 2010 00:02

Jamie pretty much hit the nail on the head, but u gotta admit jamie even when I'm a pain its still cool cos you get free stuff :D I only quickly read nightwatches reply but i agree with what he said too.
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301

ket
Senior Resident

Postby Grump642 on 11 Jun 2010 02:58

(...edited.....)
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby jamie1992 on 11 Jun 2010 11:58

Really, we are all gonna turn on each other, this isn't GSC, don't fucking turn it that way.
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Jun 2010 17:06

There has been a misunderstanding between a few members about a product and the driving-force (reason) behind this product that led to its purchase, and one member (who has always been one the calmest guys I've seen) lost his temper lightly. That's no big deal, such things happen, we all have different days, different tolerance levels, people then "break bread" as they say and continue as before, we are all mature people, though everyone is at different ages. This is the maturity as it's called, it's something that's beyond age levels.

--I think I need to draw attention to a point here. When we say something, in a society, people do have different opinions on anything no matter how we adamantly believe "that thing" is the best; and they say their opinion. No one can possibly expect that everyone should agree with them at all times. But when we receive different opinions on any matters, say, on some purchases for example, then we should be able to make our case... if we believe the reason and sure about that reason behind this purchase, we should be able to tell those who find "the purchase" not a good decision that we like this product "this-and-that and such and such" reasons, but we don't need to get angry if others still do not see it as a wise purchase.
We can say that "well, it's my money after all, and no matter it may not seem practical to you, or someone else, I like the damn thing, I adore it, it's my hobby, etc, etc," end of discussion.

Look, guys, for example, I really like those US bikes, US Harley Davidson bikes, those that are called "choppers," you know, those 1970s style, all-chrome monsters. Funny thing is, I'm absolutely a terrible bike rider, and it'd be a miracle if I could go around with it a few hundred yards. :D (PS: on the contrary I'm pro-racing-level on four=wheels, but that's another story)
But I like the f**ng damn choppers. :D And if I can spare money, I will buy the damn thing and probably just keep staring at it, instead of riding.

Even my daugher says: "C'mon dad, have you lost your mind, what're you gonna do with it?!" She likes the power bikes like the ones our moderator Rock rides. Do I get angry with her? No.
If someone else, either here, or somewhere else says: "Hey man, are you crazy? Those can't even turn corners in downtown LA or NY. You won't even ride the f**nkg thing... so what the hell are you buying it for... Go get a Kawasaki, man."

Will I get angry? No! I will laugh (it should be obvious from my telling here) and say that: "So what, maybe you don't like it, maybe it doesn't accelerate like new power bikes, or this and that, but I like the thing and, while there are many others which are equally and in fact even better well made around, this one is very well built as well."

We should not get angry when some others disagree with our decisions and we can merely put them the reasons, even those "personal reasons" behind such decisions; because when we say we bought a product we can't expect everyone to applause and some will never agree on their quality, etc. The only thing counts then as a discussion ending element is that "our personal passion" towards it.

We need to careful though, while disagreeing with someone's decisions and question the wisdom of such decision is merely a practice of freedom of expression, but cursing or any other type of insults while either questioning or answering... are not!
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Balious on 11 Jun 2010 17:38

I am 100% agree with nightwatch here.

Theres no need for arguments here of a big misunderstanding. Now kiss and make up! Well.. maybe not kiss but im sure people understand what I mean :mozilla_smile:
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 14 Jun 2010 22:29

TBH, its all about discussion and voicing opinion in forums. People shouldn't throw a tantrum if someone doesn't agree and simply accept, as Nightwatch has already pointed out, everybody has their own opinion. Lets not forget its just a keyboard, yet the way some have blown a simple opinion (and I wasn't the only one with the same opinion either) out of proportion you'd think their wife had been insulted!

As for Grumps flammetory post, he tries to launch a personal insult yet nothing (AFAIK) is said to him, yet anywhere else he would be handed at least a warning and repeat offences would be greeted with a temp ban / ban. I gave Jamie a HD3870 and a kit of PC8500 simply because I could and the fella needed something half decent to game with. I certainly don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone, but personal insults is totally uncalled for.

ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 15 Jun 2010 04:17

I see a few notes need to be added on the recent days events on this thread. First of all, this is for everyone to note, that we have two moderators on this forum; and no one should accelerate any arguments if any were to arise at any time and, if the matter in question is upsetting them, then they should either wait for a few hours at most for the moderators to get involved in the matter and/or ask help and intervention from the moderators.
Audioave10, here, blew a fuse too early and he should ask help from the moderators before taking some drastic actions in anger, if the criticism directed to him by other members about his some hardware choices felt offensive in any way; then we would intervene and try to mediate on the matter of course.

However, once we (anywhere in the world) say and declare an opinion by ourselves, by our own choice, (whether it's on a product -as it is here- or anything else) , then we cannot expect that everyone will agree with us, no matter our decision feels totally correct to us, and in fact, it may be exactly correct, too; but this will not stop others to oppose. there will be always some people to oppose our decisions. The correct way is to prove that our decision is right by making a sound argument, showing evidences if necessary, so proving our case. This is the way world goes, or it should... otherwise there are wars around as we see.

On the other hand, there's also another side of this matter. Although, audioave10 acted too quickly without waiting for or asking intervention from the moderators, if he saw the situation was upsetting him, that they (me and rock) can have time to enter the communication and deal with the matter, it is also true that you Ket, was too insistent on the matter and the context of your language in your discussion drifted beyond the disagreement on audioave's hardware choice (like calling him "average Joe, and implications of that he is not a serious enthusiast, etc)
which possibly helped him to achieve the decision that you are insulting him, not just criticizing his decision. The words we choose may make things go rather different directions that we actually intended to. We, in life, should always keep the matter within its confines, otherwise it does not help us at all.

On Grump642's remarks, OK, that I must've missed it. It's uncalled... and I expect all members, particularly the senior members of the forum to be problem solvers in any arising situation, if one of us may get upset or angry (we are all human after all) then it's naturally expected that the rest, particularly the senior members, will put cold water on the matter wherever it is needed.

Most of the members on this forum now know each other for several years. Grump, like all others, has always been a good example in all matters; so, this should be an unintended thing in a suddenly flared up unfortunate event.

While you've brought up the subject, I must tell you Ket that the comment that you made before Grumps post was not entirely helpful to you. (you know, you said: but u gotta admit jamie even when I'm a pain its still cool cos you get free stuff) You gotta admit that it doesn't give a good meaning. It was very unnecessary on your part to say something like that. Very unnecessary in the situation. Though, I feel that it's very good that friends to help each other in ways they can, it's admirable to do so (but without mentioning unnecessarily) and everyone surely has something to help another one, which may range from knowledge to some hardware, software, whatever.

----

As a final note: I didn't like a bit that audioave did make a knee-jerk decision and acted in anger without asking help from moderators in a matter he felt upset -as it obviously seen now-. There are mechanisms here -like all forums- to deal with any disagreements, misunderstandings, or anything in between. Bypassing such systems, which are designed to help, does not help anyone; because then one will have pushed away the hand that was there to help him...

But, it's certain that if audioave needs such mechanisms next time, they will always be here.

--------------
OK, it's 4:15 GMT now, I need to be at work in a few hours, so I'm posting this without even spell checking. See you all later.

I believe discussions on this matter has been concluded.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Nightwatch on 18 Jun 2010 05:03

Debates on this matter have finished.

Last post from Grump642 has been removed because discussions had already been closed.

TOPIC IS LOCKED
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hardware Corner