Nuclear Pollution, e.g. FUKUSHIMA

Subjects on the More Serious Side

Re: 100 Rads Bar... Home of the Off-Topic Topics!

Postby MeanderingBeing on 26 Mar 2011 17:14

Anyone get news lately on the middle east and japan? After the no-fly zone bit in libya, it seems all news coverage of Fukishima and the middle-eastern conflicts have all but ceased... which I find distressing to say the least...
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 27 Mar 2011 17:21

MeanderingBeing wrote:Anyone get news lately on the middle east and japan? After the no-fly zone bit in libya, it seems all news coverage of Fukishima and the middle-eastern conflicts have all but ceased... which I find distressing to say the least...

Same thing here. Even Charlie Sheen is dead news. Weird. Online is plenty of info but not on TV news. Our Lottery is getting more attention LOL.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby Nightwatch on 27 Mar 2011 18:00

Fukushima in Japan, in my opinion, is rolling towards becoming a bigger scale of Chernobyl in slow-motion. They have six hot spots compared to Chernobyl's one reactor, as Fukushima has 4 reactors + 2 Nuclear Fuel storage facilities. It has all the potential of becoming an apocalyptic case. Japanese authorities seem to exhibit an astonishing level of ineptitude in their dealing with the unfolding case in front of them and a certain level of "underhand approach" in respect of the information they release to the public.

They seem not to be able to read the Geiger counter readings properly somehow, as the radiation levels are always corrected after they are released to the public, and therefore now it has developed to a trust issue and it's difficult to believe which reading is the real reading now. Sounds funny, but it's just a very good case of an extreme ineptitude and mismanagement.
Yesterday it was said that the sea water in front and around of the Fukushima reactor complex was 10 million times higher than the normal, today they said it was a wrong reading and that the levels are not 10 million times higher, but it was still very very high. So how high was it? 1 million? Two.. three?? Auction of numbers.
But further away from the reactor complex radiation levels are still increasing. Hundreds of miles away, sea water was 1250 times more radioactive yesterday, now today it has increased to 1850 times.
Tokyo tap water has radiation now, too; but according to the authorities it does not cause an "immediate" danger. So what type of danger it causes? So you don't die within days or weeks, but it may cause harm in "long term" ; but not in "immediate" term?? So it's OK? Very strange and untrustable, and "incomplete" news are being released. I feel sorry for Japanese people, really. But the effects are starting to reach other countries as well.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 27 Mar 2011 23:44

Nightwatch wrote:Fukushima in Japan, in my opinion, is rolling towards becoming a bigger scale of Chernobyl in slow-motion. They have six hot spots compared to Chernobyl's one reactor, as Fukushima has 4 reactors + 2 Nuclear Fuel storage facilities. It has all the potential of becoming an apocalyptic case. Japanese authorities seem to exhibit an astonishing level of ineptitude in their dealing with the unfolding case in front of them and a certain level of "underhand approach" in respect of the information they release to the public.

They seem not to be able to read the Geiger counter readings properly somehow, as the radiation levels are always corrected after they are released to the public, and therefore now it has developed to a trust issue and it's difficult to believe which reading is the real reading now. Sounds funny, but it's just a very good case of an extreme ineptitude and mismanagement.
Yesterday it was said that the sea water in front and around of the Fukushima reactor complex was 10 million times higher than the normal, today they said it was a wrong reading and that the levels are not 10 million times higher, but it was still very very high. So how high was it? 1 million? Two.. three?? Auction of numbers.
But further away from the reactor complex radiation levels are still increasing. Hundreds of miles away, sea water was 1250 times more radioactive yesterday, now today it has increased to 1850 times.
Tokyo tap water has radioactive now, too; but according to the authorities it does not cause an "immediate" danger. So what type of danger it causes? So you don't die within days or weeks, but it may cause harm in "long term" but not "immediate" term?? So it's OK? Very strange and untrustable, and "incomplete" news are being released. I feel sorry for Japanese people, really. But the effects are starting to other countries as well.

And we're talking millions of people. They really have no choice but to keep doing what they are doing and hang on to hope.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby rockingmtranch on 28 Mar 2011 19:07

3040Krag wrote:What''s "normal" and what's not? Relative terms don't do anything but promote fear and hysteria. Please keep in mind that what's significant at the local level is not going to be worth losing sleep over globally, IMHO.

"Significant" meaning "let's be prudent and ensure minimal local health impact on already healthy people" and "not worth losing losing sleep" meaning it's not even close to "significant" globally.

I, for one, am not losing any sleep over this accident of nature and man. The exposure to this radiation is miniscule in relation to the radiation I bathe in daily from normal activity of being alive on the planet.

FWIW.

Says the guy out in the middle of the US lol :-" We have had elevated radiation but nothing significant (so they say). http://www.aqmd.gov/
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby MeanderingBeing on 28 Mar 2011 23:31

Please, I'm looking for specifics. I noticed even on the internet news is starting to cut off. As rock said, local robberies and stabbings are getting more media attention, which in my eyes is trivial relative to the middle-east and japan. The other day a friend emailed me a video of snipers taking people out on the streets of Yemen, which is worrying, and I've heard little about fukushima since they started using helicopters to dump water on the reactors. Yes, none of this REALLY affects me, nor do I lose any sleep over it, but I am however concerned. As much as I proclaim to hate people, I am still pretty empathetic towards others' plights. I just want to know what's going on.
LOOK! It says gullible on the ceiling!!!
MeanderingBeing
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 29 Mar 2011 18:38

Good news!! Today BBC reported that in Oxfordshire (Oxford) an Glasgow, although it was rather miniscule, some footprint of Fukushima radiation has been detected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-12892383

It is not a reason for at all to worry about of course, but it shows that the public sensitivity surrounding this case.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 29 Mar 2011 23:58

Nightwatch wrote:Good news!! Today BBC reported that in Oxfordshire (Oxford) an Glasgow, although it was rather miniscule, some footprint of Fukushima radiation has been detected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-12892383

It is not a reason for at all to worry about of course, but it shows that the public sensitivity surrounding this case.

LMAO "Good news! We got radiation" :))
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 31 Mar 2011 21:50

Things just keep on getting better and better don't they.
Mother nature seems to determined to flush some pests out of the system.
Oh well, still 9 months to go until the real shit hit's the hyperdrive.
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Mar 2011 23:20

Nightwatch wrote:Yup... further on the Japan radiation developments, well, the sea water around Fukushima has risen at the moment of this note to 4000 times of the legal limit in Japan.

Also, after the earthquake: Japan has moved towards Asia by 4 meters... and also sank by 4 inches!!

Not finished... also... wait: The quake shifted Earth on its axis by about 6.5 inches and the planet to rotate somewhat faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 millionths of a second.

Read on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12732335
:-k Hmmm... serious stuff!

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Things just keep on getting better and better don't they.
Mother nature seems to determined to flush some pests out of the system.
Oh well, still 9 months to go until the real shit hit's the hyperdrive.

I guess you are referring the MAYAN 2012 prophecy, end of the cycle.
:violent2:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Nightwatch on 28 Apr 2011 22:12

It's a moving story! Human tragedy. Hard to let it pass without remembering the Fukushima reactors in Japan, too. I hope in the future there won't be similar stories being told in Japan, too. Nuclear energy is useful to provide for the energy hunger of the developed world, alright, but it also comes with inevitable dangers in-built. Human err and/or the wrath of nature is always on the cards.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Nuclear Pollution, e.g. FUKUSHIMA

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Aug 2013 16:04

Radioactive water is said to be leaking from the plants reservoirs into the sea in rather high quantities and at highly polluted levels. Pollution level was given as being 8 million times above the safe-drinking water. This saga seems to have a never-ending story characteristic.
They don't appear to be managing this crisis quite well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23779561
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Nuclear Pollution, e.g. FUKUSHIMA

Postby rockingmtranch on 31 Aug 2013 15:59

We have stopped buying fish due to this crisis. It is best to steer clear of fish unless one has a gieger counter which are about $500 US. And on a lighter note we have stopped buying chicken but not because of radiation. That was because I learned they (large breeders) feed them small amounts of arsenic to make them retain water which in turn makes me retain water and I hate to retain water. I don't want to retain anything but a large percentage of my paycheck which is yet to happen.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby Nightwatch on 04 Sep 2013 12:32

I would agree with you on such precautions, buddy. Although I'm not a guy who gets worried of things easily, a lot of serious news coming from Japan point to an rapidly escalating problem which seems to have all the hallmarks of a situation actually much worse than what they are letting us know. 3040Krag would of course know it better as a scientist in the relevant field, it's what I heard from the news that now Japanese have given up continuing with the current cleaning process and admitted defeat; and now they are proposing a "frozen wall " along the reactor complex .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23940214

BBC says that an unprotected person would die around the reactors in as little as two hours. Neighbour counties have reason to worry, it seems.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 04 Sep 2013 15:13

Not good at all :mozilla_frown: Frozen wall.....I don't know. When the fridge breaks down, then what? Need a more permenant solution.
----------------
rockingmtranch

Postby 3040Krag on 18 Sep 2013 18:48

We all receive radiation daily, we have since time began. The amount of received radiation is the important part.

"Normal" amounts = life as we know it

Above normal amounts lead to stochastic ("random") medical effects such as cancer. Getting more than a "normal" dose means you are at an increased random risk for disease.

Huge amounts of radiation mean certain death due to tissue destruction.

A good read about the Fukushima radiation leak risk, thanks to National Geographic, can be seen at http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... ught-fish/

Are we all at risk? Certainly. But you get more radiation exposure flying from London to New York than from Fukusima released radiation unless you're visiting the reactors themselves IMHO.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Return to Soap-Box