Editing SoC SP levels

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Re: Editing SoC SP levels

Postby ket on 11 Dec 2011 17:57

Ok, I have Maya 2008 installed on my laptop. Heres the latest process I tried and I'm still not able to export files in Maya as OGF.

- Installed Maya 2008 SP1
- Installed CoP SDK (works around Maya not being able to load shaders.xr etc)
- Copied xray_path to Maya > bin folder
- Copied xrayMayaTools (loads fine) to Maya > bin > plug-ins folder
- Copied scripts folder located in scripts_plugins > maya, to User > My Documents > Maya
- Mounted X Drive
- Copied xrayMaya_export (won't load) to Maya > bin > plug-ins folder

The error reported from Maya when trying to load xrayMaya_export is; "// Error: The specified module could not be found."

It would seem all my headaches are because I need a new version of xrayMaya_export which googling has yielded no joy with. I've tried the xrayMaya_export files included with the CoP SDK from both the "2008" and "2009" folder located in scripts_plugins > maya.
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Dec 2011 22:06

In your case, it seems the best option is to export the file as .object and on XraySDK save it as OGf.

On another note, I couldn't see the necessity of "Copied scripts folder located in scripts_plugins > maya, to User > My Documents > Maya" as you mention. I have not done such thing before, but anyway I'm not a graphics designer by profession and can't claim that it was completely wrong. But I hadn't and MAYA works OK.

Also, you may wish to keep only the Soc XraySDK, not the CoP one, probably not the both at all on the same PC. xray_path should only seek one SDK resources, otherwise I'd suspect some buggy operation may result.

Have tried using photoshop for as well, for any detailing works?

Also, as another note, or option, you can try using Autodesk 3D Studio Max (versions 6, 7 or 8 only) and you may get a better result from that of MAYa as it seems there's some buggy situation developing on your MAYa, I'm not sure but it gives that impression rightly or wrongly.
I have looked around my PC and found a guide from original AMK team on Model Exporting on Autodesk 3D Max, and if you have access to 3D Max, I can give that guide to you. You'd need STALKER plug-in for and also SDK again as well.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 11 Dec 2011 23:26

Before I attempt to learn another 3D modelling app I'll try exporting as stalker skeletal .object, loading up the SDK and saving as a OGF. I only have the CoP SDK installed and copying files to the Maya scripts folder is required to (supposedly) get the xrayMaya_export plugin working. On the plus side I've played around with what kinds of results I can get by normalising and smoothing the meshes, the results are quite good :)
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301

ket
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 12 Dec 2011 14:32

After much trial and testing of my patience I've found out the cause for xrayMaya_export not loading. Heres detailed instructions on how to get the bastardised plugins of Maya working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To successfully install xrayMaya_export & xrayMaya_material in Maya 2008;

- Copy Bugtrap.dll (I used version dated 09/02/2010) to Maya 2008 > bin folder
- Copy xray_path to Maya 2008 > bin folder
- Copy xrayMaya_export & xrayMaya_material to Maya 2008 > bin > plug-ins folder
- Copy scripts folder loacted in scripts_plugins folder to My Documents > maya
(maya folder is only created after you have launched maya for the first time)

Regardless of SDK installed, use bugtrap.dll from CoP SDK and remember to mount X: drive
before loading xrayMaya_material in Maya 2008. Using the most updated scripts from the CoP
SDK would also seem to be ok to use regardless of SDK version installed but have the appropriate
Maya SoC / CS / CoP scripts handy just in case when your file is converted to .OGF via the SDK
Stalker itself crashes. If this happens, copy the plugins for the SDK you have installed, launch
Maya, redo your work and try converting to .OGF again.

Notes:

- Bardaks xrayMayaTools would appear to work fine with the above plugins & method detailed.
- x-ray game object = .OGF file format

- bugtrap, xray_path, xrayMaya_material & xrayMaya_export can all be found within the Stalker
SDK directory as is the scripts_plugins folder. I recommend getting all these files from the CoP
SDK as it has Maya plugins for Maya all the way from 7.0 to Maya 2009.

- Remember when in the scripts_plugins folder it is JUST the scripts folder you want to copy to
My Documents > maya.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next step for me will now be to se if I can FINALLY export a object and save it with the file remaining in tact. Out of curiosity, did you convert any of your files to .OGF Nightwatch or leave them as .object?

ED - As I'm at it heres a little tutorial using Maya 2008 on how to significantly improve the meshes SoC uses;

- Start Maya, import your mesh
- Click on your mesh to highlight it
- Select Normals > Unlock Normals
- Select Normals > Average Normals
- Select Normals > Lock Normals
- Select Normals > Smooth (I do this step twice, no idea if the extra step helps)
- Select Mesh > Smooth
- Now just export your mesh

Do be aware some meshes might have errors at some vertex positions after the above process, I haven't found a way to fix those "errors" yet but just on NPC / Mutant meshes the 1 or 2 errors generated shouldn't lead to any undue abnormalities or performance issues.

ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 12 Dec 2011 19:05

This is a great guide, ket, for anyone who may encounter similar problems with MAYA, and quite possibly there will be problems here and there almost always as SoC and MAYA is not totally/smoothly compatible in a way.

PS: Yup, I had converted all the works I had done to OGF, so they play nicely in the mod at the moment. I remember, after some point the direct transfer to OGF had stopped on my MAYA as well, so I had to use a PC still using XP and XraySDK on it. So at that time, on that process, the work followed the path of .object>>>OGF, final output from XraySDK.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 12 Dec 2011 19:42

If its of use I have compiled a complete package of Maya plugins from 2008 > 2012 (xrayMayaTools, 32 & 64 bit) as well as the "official" plugins from GSC for Maya 2008 & 2009. The package also includes bugtrap.dll from the CoP SDK and Maya scripts for use with the GSC plugins from the SoC, CS, and CoP SDKs. Also in the package is a detailed readme on how to get the plugins installed and working :-bd I'm installing Maya 2009 SP1 now as its the latest the GSC plugins can work with hoping to avoid any nasty glitches older plugins might throw at me.

On a final note, did you export you edited meshes as xray .object files or regular .object files nightwatch? I have loads of different .object files I can save the edited meshes as so its sorta a minefield trying to save as the right .object so everything gets preserved. I'll update this post with a SS of all the .object sile saving options I have a little later.

ED - To correct a small part in my other post for the meshes tutorial; its Normals > Soften Edge.

ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Dec 2011 15:54

Not bad at all, :thumbright: Maybe you would release it, under a title (just from the top my head) like: "KET's MAYA plug-ins Collection for STALKER and application guides." Something like that, yeah, it would be useful to have them in a single pack, and with an accompanying good guide. :mozilla_smile:

ED: OK, on your question, yes I had saved them in different .objects (when not exported them directly as of OGF) and then chosen them in practice, e.g. on the SDK and in the game application
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 15 Dec 2011 12:19

Thanks :D I'm probably going to switch to 3Ds Max (not by choosing) because Maya keeps doing something to my modified meshes and Stalker throws a fit with them. I'll get the plugins package uploaded when I can too.

ket
Senior Resident

Previous

Return to Modding Techniques