Windows 8

Windows 8

Postby Nightwatch on 24 Sep 2011 22:30

Not everybody has yet upgraded to Windows 7, but Windows 8 has already started looking around the corner. Well, it may be around the corner, but the question is how far away is this corner? Speculation on the street, or next to the water-coolers at Microsoft is that it's being planned to be released in 2012.

So... in this process, now first comes the Windows 8 Developer Preview available to download in both 64-bit and 32-bit versions, and another version comes with Developer Tools in 64-bit edition.

========================================
Direct Microsoft download links:

FOR ALL
----Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) --(4.8 GB)

----Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit --(x64)

----Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit --(x86)

MS Download site ---->> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

========================================

From Microsoft:

IT NEEDS TO BE A CLEAN INSTALL

How to install the Windows Developer Preview from an ISO image

The Windows Developer Preview is delivered as an .iso image that must be converted into installation media stored on a DVD or a USB flash drive. On Windows 7, the easiest way to convert this file is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On Windows XP and Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an .iso file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability.
Note: The .iso file that contains the developer tools requires a large capacity DVD called a DVD-9, as well as a DVD burner that can handle dual-layer (DL) DVDs. Most modern burners should be able to handle this format.
--------------------------------------------------------

System Requirements

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
----------------------------------------------------------

MORE INFO:

More detailed information on Windows 8 from Julie Larson-Green, Corporate Vice President, Windows Experience
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... enews.aspx

ALSO:

[Guide] How to Install Windows 8 in VirtualBox – What Do You See?
http://www.sysprobs.com/guide-install-w ... virtualbox

[Guide]Install Windows 8 on VMware Workstation with VMware Tools
http://www.sysprobs.com/guide-install-w ... ware-tools
===========================================

Notice: As with all software news, STALKERMOD bears no liability to the end-user; and it goes without saying that we are not Microsoft and you should treat Microsoft products -and all other software alike- at your own risk.
===========================================
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8

Postby rockingmtranch on 25 Sep 2011 15:11

Own risk..... =)) Stupid Windows ;)
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 28 Dec 2013 11:57

Opinion on 8.1, if you have come across it?
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 31 Dec 2013 19:33

Also, win 8, all the 'pretty looks' aside still shaite, stutters like a bastard occasionally, small hangs, mayhaps up 3s at the most but damnation, is it annoying.
Also, just happened during the previous sentence. Stupid MS code monkeys.
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 31 Dec 2013 19:45

It seems there are two main drawbacks when upgrading (!) from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

One of them is that Microsoft has removed the ability to login with a "Local Account," forcing the user to login their computer with their MS live email address other than by opening a local/private account and logging in by it. I know you'd say that you can open an email account that you won't be using on anywhere else, so that it'd do exactly the same as a Local Account. So this is not an important issue for those who wish to retain their ability to log in privately and locally.

Second one actually is the annoying and deal breaker issue for many. As far as the current release version is concerned, you will most likely have to reinstall many, probably all, of your programs after you have upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. Although it is called "point" One version, it almost comes as if it is a new OS. So, if you do not want to go through the hassle of reinstalling your programs, re-authorize them if and when needed and do all their settings again, you may wish to curse and opt-out from upgrading, like I have done so on my Windows 8 laptop.

Windows 8 will be serviced for about another two years by Microsoft. This is a long time in OS world, and during that time, I may need to reinstall my programs for one reason or another; and only then I may well think upgrade to Windows 8.1, who knows. Or, better still, there may be a completely new OS, which may make Windows 8.1 irrelevant anyway.

----------------------------------

addition:

BTW, I'm not happy with Windows 8 even a bit anyway. Of course there are few nice points, here and there, but overall it was just an attempt by MS to corner the Mobile Phone and Tablet market and dream to push it onto the PCs as well, and synchronize all those devices through its servers, thus making itself God-like big player. I do not think not all developers and managers in Microsoft were on the same wavelength, however things done done the big one says so.
I decided against the idea of changing my laptop's OS from Windows 8 to Windows 7, it's brilliant btw, just because for the fact that my laptop comes with a lot of proprietary software pre-installed (common with laptops) . Although Sony said it could be done, however there are risks that the laptop may not function in the same way it functions now. So I bailed out, at least for now :)
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 01 Jan 2014 02:25

Reason being, bought a new laptop, jumped from xp prof to win8, damnation I miss xp, heck, even vista was better. Sadly all new hardware comes with 8 and only 8. I would have no real problem getting 7 if it didn't cost so bloody much, sure there are other ways of obtaining it but unfortunately, the official version is better due being able to get proper updates.
Have a win 7 on the tower and it is pretty good.
Curse M$, may their feet salt the very ground they walk upon. :angry4: :axe:
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Feb 2014 12:25

How's your Windows 8 experiments going?

You'd be better advised to turn off all apps and work through Desktop only, with all programs working on desktop only. On Task Scheduler you may want to go through the tasks and turn off all those calling home features like customer improvement based etc ones, as well as background upload tasks, among many others. Particularly the ones that are set to wake your pc/laptop (while you're not attending to it) and do their stuff while you're not present. Check the tasks' "condition" tabs and see if the "wake the computer to run this task" has been pre-checked or not, and see that it is unchecked, unless you want your laptop start itself while you sleep.

More advices on similar matters, and in details, may also be available, of course
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Nightwatch on 26 Mar 2014 13:07

Additionally, I may recommend that (if you're not getting MS or other updates automatically, and you're doing them by manual check or by"let me decide" conditions) you may consider shutting down the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" by disabling it on the Services panel. This Service uses idle network sources and (with great probability without you knowing ) updates/downloads various stuff as it's set.

It may be used when hooked or 'when instructed as such' to enable the installation of various software which you might not be quite happy to have.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 11 Apr 2014 18:48

During the experimental stage on another laptop (luckily not in active use), I managed to make the massive blunder of setting a non system partion as active. While as I understand, this is reversible via bios settings, it being a second hand piece of hardware, the bios pass is unknown.
Any ideas as to how to correct that mess, short of taking it to more tech savvy folk?
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby 3040Krag on 12 Apr 2014 16:08

Pull the CMOS battery for a few minutes, or reset the BIOS via jumper. The only way, if that doesn't make sense it's time for more expert help.
3040Krag
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 13 Apr 2014 16:02

I know of that method, was the first that came up, however I do not quite feel comfortable taking the laptop apart, I'd be more at home with a desktop in that regard.

Basically, I'm sorta screwed then, unless I make myself more familiar with the hardware ... at least it doesn't require higher grade math, then I'd be doomed.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 14 Apr 2014 14:14

I found some ideas on the web, giving the links to two of those sites that offer advice on this matter. I must note with a caution as I haven't tried any of the sites or their advices (except the "CMOS battery solution" as 3040Krag advices)

You may check the sites and the solutions offered. Please update if you've come up with any solution that worked.

How to Bypass or Remove a BIOS Password
Technibble.com
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass ... -password/

How to Clear BIOS Password
WikiHow
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-BIOS-Password
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 11 Jul 2014 08:34

In other news, most recent win8 update has fucked up audio

:-bd great job M$ staff

ed: Around 4hours of jumping through stupid hoops, it seems I have finally fixed the problem.
Look at devices and drivers, they say up to date. Go to a realtek page, got routed to 'driver navigator' ... ok, got that, ran scan nearly half the drivers on system would require update but naturally there is no notification anywhere, finally track down the driver i need, spend around 2 hours waiting on a 120mb download.
backasswards ](*,)
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 14 Jul 2014 22:47

Congratulations, anyway, at least you've managed to sort out the problems. Not everybody can have a happy ending with Windows 8. Many issues remain... Not many considers it quite a safe OS, either. Emphasis given on synchronization, amassing your data on online servers, and such. Rest is mostly gimmick.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Software Desk